“Beautiful place with room to breathe” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kaanapali Alii

Kaanapali Alii
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Mpls
“Beautiful place with room to breathe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Great place to go with kids if you want some space to spread out and enjoy the awesome beauty. Though it's a place that caters to families it's pretty quiet. With the exception of the pool we rarely heard other guests. One caution I would offer is the concierge...it's less expensive to book on your own by a mile - they actually mark up their services without mentioning it. They also seem to be "spiffed" to push certain trips, etc. In the scheme of things relatively minor but be aware. We've never been charged for those services and prefer to tip. I would return however with no hesitation. Easy I walk to other restaurants, etc. Perfect vacation really!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Susanna7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Indonesian first
Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Booked March 25 to April 8 all staff were amazing.we stayed in a one bedroom mountain view.
booking was made from apple vacations,on the apple web site i booked mountain view and then tried to up grade to mountain view premier which is a unit that has been remodeld,apple stated that all units were remoldeld and the premire option on the apple web site was taken down.
apple at that time was misleading. our unit was 264 in building two on the six floor.patio screen doors were hard to open and some came off the track. living room couch needs to be gone ,why not leather no smell you know,rug in the unit same smell needs wood our tile ,tub and shower by main entrance needs upgrading.
All in all we have stayed here before and it is very big for just two people but we love the staff and the location.as others have stated it is hit or miss on an upgraded unit.
Again staff are amazing.
Aloha
RD ROOT

Room Tip: Mountain view was great. ocean view would be good if it is in the budget. Try to get an upgradetd...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank RDRoot
Calgary, AB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We booked a one bedroom ocean view through the hotel for my family - me, husband, 2 sons. I was nervous about some of the reviews I had read about outdated rooms. Ours was very updated and clean. When we pulled up we were somewhat underwhelmed with the lobby. It's basically just a room with a long counter. I love when the lobby is over the top. It is your first impression and gives you that pampered feeling right off the bat and puts you in vacation mode. So this was a little disappointing. But the service at the front desk made up for it. Quick, friendly and efficient. Couldn't have gotten better anywhere else.

It was the perfect location if you want to stay in Kaanapali. The beach is beautiful and large. The boardwalk quickly takes you to Whalers Village, Black Rock, or the Hyatt (where we like to say 'hi' to the parrots and penguins). Running on the boardwalk at sunrise is lovely and my most favorite time of the day. Walking to all the restaurants is convenient. Parking at the condo is included and easy with alot of available spots.

The condo we got was outstanding. It was a large one bedroom with a king bed and a den which had a queen bed. There was a pullout couch which we were told not to pull out as the owners didn't like that? My son ended up just sleeping on it normally as it was a sectional and plenty big. We were on the top floor and ours views of the ocean were stunning to say the least. Honestly, I could have spent our 11 days just watching the whales from our lanai. We overlooked the palms and the pool area which was very pretty and not noisy at all. We used the BBQ area twice. The times we did we were assisted by staff who watched our meal as it cooked. They worked hard to please but the nights we BBQ'd there certainly wasn't a professional chef there as we had read and I was looking forward to. Ah well, there were alot of supplies and a few spices available and even a little herb garden to use if you wanted.

Our washing machine was very moldy. It was a front loader and I have the exact same one at home. I know you have to leave the door slightly ajar after washing so it can dry out. Anyways, a quick call to the front desk and it was cleaned out promptly and available for use. Our dishwasher was a bit strange too. Dishes never seemed to be clean after a wash and the racks didn't seem to allow to stand up dinner plates. Almost like a rack was missing. Really though, it was nothing I cared to complain about as we ate out alot anyways.

Be aware also, that some of the lanais are not as big as they appear on the website. Ours held a very small table with four chairs and a lounge chair. It was still a good size compared to other resorts but I was expecting one of the very long ones where we could enjoy our meals outside. I wasn't willing to change rooms though, as we liked everything else about our condo and did not want to give up our outstanding view. Again, it was big enough, just not what I expected. I wonder if all the one bedrooms have the smaller lanai and the 2 or 3 bedrooms have the longer ones.

I guess one disappointment was that there were no beach items available in the condo. I had hoped to find a few sand toys, a boogie board or an umbrella which is pretty usual in a condo. To get an umbrella at the KA you had to buy it for $50. Not really something I wanted to lug home. We also had to rent the boogie board. My feeling is that the owners are told not to leave these kinds of things in the condo so that the can make money renting it to us at expensive prices. Too bad, but again, not a huge deal in the end.

Overall, this was more than we ever expected in our condo and we would stay here again, in a heartbeat, especially if we knew we could get the same unit again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank kitaaaaa
Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed here with two female friends for 10 days in February. The grounds are very nice; parking is free; the staff is incredibly nice and helpful -- I cannot say enough about them. They helped us accommodate an unplanned extra few days [snowstorm back home]. The BBQ area is terrific and a nice staff person helped us grill a flank steak to perfection. Nice young man carried our beach chairs out for us. The workout gym is beautiful [though we were too busy eating and drinking to enjoy it -- ha].

Each room is privately owned so the décor is at the whim of the tastes and budget of the owner. We stayed in two condos: the first one had extremely comfy and plentiful furniture for lounging around but the décor prompted several discussion a la "if this was MY condo, I would get rid of x and y and do such and so" [3 women!]. The second condo was the opposite -- very beautifully decorated but the furniture was not optimal for 3 people lounging around. But, both condos were just FINE -- just what we wanted: comfy, clean, livable.

Both condos had two bathrooms, stacked washer and dryer [yay!], a bedroom, and a bedroom-ish room with no door. The kitchen was nice -- had the standard supplies. Both condos were very clean. The veranda was nice -- table and 4 chairs. We had a mountain view which was lovely; we could see a wee bit of the ocean from the veranda.

Whaler's Village is a short walk away; Black Rock is a pleasant walk a bit further. I felt like the location was perfect. Lahaina is a short drive away.

I was happy!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank runningwithscissors
Paradise Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I want to say so many wonderful things about this property, because it really was an amazing week, but my experience was really marred by the issue with our room (see below). My advice is to get a property map when you make your reservation and get some understanding of what you see from where. Do your best to get a commitment or some notes in the system that guarantee you at least a room in a certain building or part of a building. The property itself is beautiful. We did not spend any time at all at the pool. We spent it all at the beach and rented beach cabanas. Worth the price to get enough shade to stay out all day. Guys at the pool shack were great. They have an awesome BBQ set up for everyone's use. We did grill one night and it was easy and delicious. A great alternative to eating out all the time. Generally things were slow if you had a request but it was eventually fulfilled. Check in area smelled severely of mildew. Concierge service was very helpful. Quality of the unit is dependent on the décor of the owner, so that is another area where you are unsure about what you will get. Our unit was very nice, but smelled of mildew which was a problem for me. Would I return? Not without more assurance about my room.

Room Tip: BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE. You may pay for an "Ocean View" room and be looking directly over th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Anne A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

My family had been coming to the Kanapali Alli for 10+ years. No other condo on the island we would ever choose to stay. The condos are Very well taken care of and CLEAN. The staff is AWESOME! The front desk, house keeping, valet, pool guys and all other staff are super friendly! Highly recommend Kanapali Alli!

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank EMTzimp
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

Couldn't be any more wonderful. Lovely surroundings and fantastic friendly staff. The pictures are very accurate. Comfortable beds and a huge beautiful condo. The lanai is perfect. Kitchen fully equipped with everything. Beautifully located and views are wonderful. We can see whales breaching from here. A nice walk to black rock for great snorkelling. Restaurants and whalers village super close. Pool area great and barbecues are even ready to go when you get there. Feels like home but better. I would definitely come back again. I don't want to leave!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#12 of 31 in Lahaina
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,826 reviews
Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Been to Kaanapali Alii? Share your experiences!