“I Would Definitely Recommend Staying here”
Review of Kaanapali Alii

Kaanapali Alii
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed at Kaanapali Alii during September, and I can honestly say that it is was an amazing, unique experience. First, the location couldn't be better, just a few minutes from Lahaina, and literally on the beach with great views of Moloka'i in the distance.

The property itself is a number of buildings that are actually condos that are rented out throughout the year like a hotel, so you get the comfort and amenities of staying in a condo (laundry, multiple rooms, kitchen, living room, BBQ, gym and tennis court access), but it feels like staying in a hotel (daily cleanings, front desk, short-term rental availability, etc...)

While I was there their awesome tennis instructor was up for a pickup game with me on the courts while he was waiting for his next lesson, and he was a lot of fun to talk to and get to know. The nearby gym was immaculate and is a great resource for those who like to stay active during their trip. Finally, the rooms and property were all first-class maintained -- a truly beautiful and memorable place to spend your time while in Maui.

Room Tip: Obviously, if you want to see the beach, ask for a beach-facing room, or if you want to see the hill...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank MattStabile01
There are newer reviews for Kaanapali Alii

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We just returned from 10 days at the Kaanapali Alli, and it could not have been more perfect for our 45th Anniversary! We did our booking through Kay Ryan (mauikay.com) and we would do that again in a heartbeat! She made sure (with her connections) that we got an updated, high floor room (we had 2101) which was a one bedroom Oceanview room, but the den also had another double size bed in it along with a closet and it's own bathroom. We had a magnificent view of the pool area, the beach, and each morning the entertainment of watching the activity of the cabanas getting set up, along with the activity on the beachwalk. Kay not only made sure we had an excellent room, but also spent weeks before our trip helping us decide on the activities we would do while in Maui. She lives in the area, so is aware of the best of the best, and everything we did, was based on her recommendation. She was the hidden gem of Maui, as far as we were concerned. She even has connections to someone who will grocery shop for you, and you can arrive with your food in place. We didn't use that because we stopped at Costco, and mainly ate out, but it was a nice service. Even though whale season was officially over, the day she stopped by to introduce herself and bring us our activities vouchers, she spotted a whale and a baby right from our Lanai. Now, THAT's service!

Mahalo to Kay, and the wonderful staff at the Kaanapali Alii - especially Chris, who greeted us as we drove up late with, "You must be my people from Minnesota!" and brought our luggage to our room, and gave us a complete tour, along with getting us signed onto the free Internet. Also, there is NO parking fee here. We also ate at 3 restaurants in Whalers Village (Leilani's, and Hula Grill (both the outside dining, and the barefoot grill), and one of our favorites was the Tiki Terrace at the Kaanapali Beach hotel. You can't see the sunset from the dining area, BUT they have a free show which was wonderful, and probably one of the best places we ate - both service and food, although all of them were wonderful.

Room Tip: A high room helps you see over the trees. Also building one and two look over the pool, and buildin...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlexsNana927
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I absolutely loved my experience at Kaanapali Alii. I'd never been to the Hawaiian islands before and this hotel is the first place I visited after arriving from the airport, whoa! I was blown away to say the least. My room was incredible, I spent every evening listening to waves on my balcony and I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Duzercruzer
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Gorgeous room, great facilities, fantastic grilling & nicest staff. The location is very convenient, right on Kaanapali Beach and walking along the boardwalk gets you easy access to dining and shopping. Loved my stay!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank John Y
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My family enjoyed our stay at the Kaanapali Ali'i for our vacation in paradise. The location was very convenient and our unit was very spacious, clean, and well-appointed. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We look forward to returning and highly recommend.

Room Tip: Request an ocean front or ocean view room on a high floor for best experience.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mrgleem
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My experience at Kaanapali Alii was spectacular! I enjoyed the beautiful resort and the cleanliness everywhere. Each staff member that I met was kind and pleasant and I could not have asked for a more enjoyable time during my stay there. I will be returning someday.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Tim S
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We have been coming to the Kaanapali Alii for at least 25 years and it keeps on getting better! It is situated right in the middle of Kaanapali Beach and just a few minutes by car to Lahaina. It is a condo development with 4 eleven story buildings with 1 bedroom plus den as well as 2 bedroom units. Beach towels and chairs are provided. They recently redid the pool with areas for kids and a quieter area for adults. We have stayed in many of the units which have been upgraded with modern appliances, granite counters, flat screen TVs and comfortable furniture. All have generous sized lanais. There is free Wifi throughout. A truly comfortable spot to spend your vacation in paradise!

Room Tip: Choose a beach view apartment away from the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ruthie R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Montage Kapalua Bay
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Kaanapali Alii? Share your experiences!