Kaanapali Royal
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)
Kaanapali Alii(Lahaina)
  • Beachfront
All reviewswhalers villageupstairs bathroomsecond bedroommaster bathhuge lanaicomforts of hometennis courtswould definitely stay here againminute walkground floor unitbeach gearboogie boardsshopping and restaurantsmaui vacationgood sizeunitscondo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 August 2008

Our family stayed at the Kaanapali Royal in July and though we certainly didn't let it ruin our vacation it was not a very good experience. We booked through Hawaii Vacation Condos, Inc. (has some affiliation with Chasin' Rainbows). We made a specific request for wireless access as I have business I must conduct in a 5 hour stretch one day a week while away. The unit did not have wireless access so I had called right away to remedy the issue. I was told "I'm sorry" by Hawaii Vacation Condos and it was suggested perhaps I could use the coffee shop across the street. For the task at hand and a 5 hour slot that would be impractical. Further I was told they would see what could be done and call me back. After waiting a couple hours I called back and was told Linda had gone home for the day. The wireless internet issue was never resolved.
The unit was also missing keys other than the one in the lockbox and had a very strong mildewing/musty smell. Eventually I was led to Chasin' Rainbows and was told by them that they are older units and the smell is normal. Yikes! On the keys I was asked several times to search the unit and at one point it was implicated that it was our fault for not waiting until the right check in time of 3pm. I'm not sure what the connection of check in time and missing keys is but I do know it states on the confirmation sitting on my desk the check-in time is 2pm not 3pm.
After resolving ourselves to the smell, missing keys and internet and seemingly lack of concern by either Chaisin' Rainbows or Hawaii Vacation Condos, Inc. we decided to grill some shrimp and steak. After preparing the food I went to the grill and found it to be absolutely filthy. We gave the grill a good cleaning only to discover there was no propane. It took 2 days to get the propane tank filled. We tried the public grills by the pool but were in no mood to clean them as they were just as filthy as the one on our lanai.
After finding the keys missing I went up to the office to inquire if they knew anything about the keys. The staff member present was much more concerned about her MySpace page on her computer than any problem I might be having with keys. I had to return with my car information to get a parking pass and she stated she should have locked the door because it was past closing. Yikes!!
Finally, on our 3rd or 4th night we ate dinner and wanted to use the hot tub. The unit information book in our unit indicated the hot tub/pool area was open until 9:30pm. We wandered over at 9pm only to be told by the disinterested security guard the pool area closes at 9:00pm not 9:30pm. In and of itself not a big deal but on top of all the other issues and lack of attention to detail it was just one more nail in the coffin.
Service businesses can have problems and we understand that especially when we vacation and measure them not by whether there are problems but how those problems are handled and resolved. On this account Kaanapali Royal and the rental agencies failed miserably. Our only salvation is to hope we can save another vacationing family from a disappointing lodging experience at the Kaanapali Royal.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
10  Thank Mike H
Reviewed 5 August 2008

We stayed for five nights at G 302. The condo was air conditioned and in beautiful condition. THe owner was accomodating and we had tons of space (1800 square feet). The unit was a ten minute walk from the beach and really very well located. We found this unit to be a great deal - lots less expensive than staying right on the beach. Very quiet (maybe a little too quiet0. I would highly recommend staying there. One slight detraction - no window treatments for those of you who need darkness in the morning.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank shoshanna-rose
Reviewed 17 June 2007

We just returned from a trip to Maui in June 2007. We booked a 2 br/2 ba condo at Kaanapali Royal condominuims in Kaanapali through [--]. The booking was easy on the internet and you can see pics of all the units for rent. Booking and checking in went very smoothly. The condos are individually owned at Kaanapali Royal and individally decorated, so its nice to see the pics on the web. We rented Unit G201. It was fabulous - even better than we expected. We had all the comforts of home and more. It was clean and apparently newly remodled. The kitchen appliances and fixtures, TVs and furniture were brand new. We even had high-speed internet access. There were 2 king beds and a king pull-out sofa. The unit slept 6 very comfortably and was spacious enough that we never felt cramped. The condos are situated on the Kaanapali golf course - not the beach. But we did walk down to the Whaler's village and the beach in about 10 mins. The walk back a bit of a hike because of a great big hill. In all the walk was not so bad, but there is a public trolley if you can find it! The condo property is quiet and beautifully maintained. The pool was lovely - even better than the pics. There are 2 BBQ grills you can use by the pool. I would highly recommend this property and unit to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Kang10
Reviewed 8 November 2006

My family and I just returned from a trip to Maui where we stayed in a wonderful Condo for the first part of our stay. The condo that we stayed in was so nice and we all enjoyed the fully stocked kitchen and very spacious eating and living areas. There was a washer and dryer, 2 very large what I would call master suites and an awesome patio where we actually had a BBQ and entertained some friends that we were traveling with. The place was very clean and right in the middle of all the things that we love to do...shop, swim, snorkel and just waking to along the beach. The nights were very quiet as we sat on the lanai and enjoyed the view. We would certainly recommend this condo to anyone looking for a home away from home.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
9  Thank 4myfamily
Reviewed 7 March 2006

Just about everyone loves a good deal, but there is usually a reason why things are priced less than normal. In the case of the Kaanapali Royal, the only reason you can get a 2br, huge, central a/c' luxury condo for around $200 is that there is no big marketing effort to rent them.

In fact, only 20 of the 100 units in the complex are rented. The rest are either owner occupied or just left dark when they aren't there. Located just back from the best part of Kaanapali beach (on the golf course), it is close but a world away in ambience. You feel as if you arrived home, not checked into a resort. The place is gated, and the landscaping is perfect. Broad, arching trees shade the parking areas, which are within feet of your unit. The units have lock boxes, and you just let yourself in. All units are 2br/ 2 bath, with w/d in each. Some have good ocean views- all have full sized kitchens, big lanai's, and the usual mod-cons. They sell for about $1 million!. Concrete construction, so quiet and cool. low rise- with stairs, but set up so you hardly ever have more than one flight to get to the unit.

The pool / spa area is wonderful- WAY better than the Whaler or Ali'i (costing over twice as much). Usually about half a dozen people using the area- compared to the crowds down th eblock. Two separated, well lit free tennis courts.

There is no exercise room, but hey-go for a walk or run....

If you want 'right-on-the-beach-in-the-middle-of-the-action', forget it, but for anybody else, this is it. Even for a couple who doesn't need a second bedroom, it is worth it.

You can reserve via Chas'n Rainbows or Vacation-Maui, but the best bet is to go onto VRBO and deal directly with the owners.

41  Thank Peter F