“Great View”

Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here early Jan 2014 in room 902. We hired a car from the airport and initially found it difficult to locate the Mahana, and ended up at the hotel next door!!
The room was spacious and clean with full kitchen. The view was incredible, we felt we were literally on the edge of the beach on top of the ocean. The only complaint I have for the room is the window furnishings- they were only thin white roll down blinds which light easily shone through so as soon as the sun rose the room was lit up very early.
Location is great, right on the beach with Duke's just next door and a supermarket across the road.

The pool is not large, we only used the beach a little further down however there are plenty of lounges in front of the Mahana for use. Parking was free and there were plenty of car parks at night and the wifi was easily accessible in our rooms.

The only negative I have with the hotel is the concierge. My understanding is that a hotel concierge is to assist the guests at their hotel in whatever way they can. Susan gave us a great outline of the island and activities we could do- however was very pushy towards the Expedia activities that could be booked through her. We had already booked a luau and a kayaking activity prior to arriving. We also hired a car with the purpose to drive the road to Hana. We felt as though we were shunned for having a car and tried to be talked into paying for a tour to drive us as the drive 'was too hectic and you can't enjoy the views if your the driver'. Being from Australia and having to adjust to driving on the other side of the car and road, I would have been very disappointed if I did in fact take Susan's advice and pay for a tour rather than using the car we had paid for. The drive was easy and breathtaking- even as the driver I was able to take in so much and stop regularly at lookouts.
Furthermore, when I asked Susan a question about the Tournament of Champions Golf Tour that was on in Maui at the time of our stay, she became somewhat cold once she realised I wasn't at her desk to book one of the tours. She was abrupt and was quick to say she "didn't know anything about it" and grabbed me a brochure and gave it to me. I asked about if I could just buy a ticket at the gate "I don't know" and how to get there "Get the shuttle next door". Not a pleasant nor welcoming experience for hotel guests- I haven't encountered this with any other concierge at a hotel I have stayed at worldwide.

Overall, great location, well-appointed room and spectacular views. Would recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
bmc11, General Manager at Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Aloha and mahalo for choosing the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali for your time here on the beautiful island of Maui. We do apologize if you had trouble finding us however as you mentioned once here you discovered that our private location just steps from the quieter end of northern Kaanapali beach is perfect and allows us to provide those absolutely spectacular oceanfront views from every unit here. As well all of our units are spacious, well appointed and have the comforts of both fully equipped kitchens and washer/dryer.
I very much apologize for your experience at the tour desk here in the lobby, it is actually managed by another company, so is not a concierge in the sense you may be used to at large hotels. Their staff does not work for Aston, however in my experience all of our guests receive great service from them, but again we are sorry if you felt you didn't receive the service you deserve.
We are happy to hear though that here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali we were able to exceed your expectations so that you will recommend us and look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

Mahalo, Brian

Write a ReviewReviews (1,938)

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I hated this place! First of all the room was hideous. I felt like I was staying at someone elses house and it didn't make me feel comfortable. The place was completely over-decorated to the point where it was just weird. I will admit the views from our balcony were very nice. We were mere metres from the ocean. However, there are signs on the beach indicating that you can't swim in that particular area. You have to walk a fair bit to get to a part of the beach that is swimmable. Also the hotel doesn't even have a restaurant!!!!!!! (and it is not in walking distance to many). The only restaurant we could find was 'Duke's' which had decent meals. Most nights we found ourselves having to catch a taxi to get dinner. Another thing wrong is for the first morning the hotel provides you with a free continental breakfast and a talk about what to do in Maui. The breakfast consisted of a few slices of pineapple bread and guava bread, half a dozen muffins, a few slices of pineapple and a few pieces of watermelon. We then had to sit down for a longggggg time to listen to everything to do in Maui. The prices of things were ridiculous. There was nothing less than $100 per person. For a large family this was very annoying as we didn't want to spend such large amounts of money per day.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank 294CourtneyB
bmc11, General Manager at Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2014

Aloha,

We appreciate all of the comments provided by our guests here at Trip Advisor, this is a great place for information which helps future guests make educated decisions on where to stay. In your case a prior visit to this site would have prevented the "terrible" stay you felt you had. The Aston Mahana at Kaanapali owners take great pride in providing nicely appointed units, their homes away from home, where our guests can enjoy all the spoils of a condominium space with fully equipped kitchens and washer/dryer.
The Mahana's absolutely second to none oceanfront location steps from the beach provides not only spectacular oceanfront views from every unit of abundant marinelife (much of which is drawn to the reef fronting the property), but also beautiful rainbows and sunsets appearing with the backdrop of the neighboring islands of Molokai and Lanai. In either direction 50 yards or so there are swimming and snorkeling opportunities. We do also offer a very nice and relaxed pool/jacuzzi area with complimentary gas grills and a coffee cart in the lobby for drinks and light snacks as well.
Both our owners and guests do not want the hustle/bustle of huge pools, restaurants and bars but relish the quiet and relaxing atmosphere provided with our private location. However, there are a number of restaurants within a short walk and as most of our guests have a car, we are within less than 10 minutes by car from the Kapalua, Kaanapali proper and Lahaina downtown areas.
As well, on the island of Maui, voted best island in the world in a recent publication, there are so many beautiful things to see and do that don't cost any money and the travel desk in our lobby can help not only direct our guests to those but also offer very competitive pricing on some of the other tour options such as luaus and the like.
We do hope you find a destination that meets your needs in the future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We just returned from Maui and stayed at the Mahana. We were not looking for a resort type stay, so the pool area(s), restaurant/room service, etc were not requirements for us. If that is what you are hoping to experience, this is not the place for you. We enjoyed feeling "at home" by being able to cook breakfast, have frig for drinks, w/d for easy clean up, and grills to make a yummy dinner in.(the Honokowai Fish Market is 1/2 mile north on the right, and has GREAT offferings)

When booking through the Mahana, they have daily housekeeping, movie rentals, paper delivery, wireless, etc for $15 per day. They will leave beach towels, toilet paper, paper towels, dishwasher detergent, liquid dish washing detergent, soaps in restroom, and laundry detergent as needed. I found the staff nice & helpful. Admittedly, I had very little interaction with their staff while staying there, other than checking in, requesting towels, etc. Our first night, we could get the tv to work, and the gal at the front desk came up to help, as maintenance had left. We felt that was so nice and appreciated. They also will give you a gate code to walk on to the Honua Kai property and access the boardwalk without the need for using the beach.

The views are incredible, NOTHING but ocean and the islands of Molokai and Lanai, unless you look down to the beach or grass areas. We watched turtles, whales, dolphins and of course fish. Bring binoculars or a good camera lens and you will see even more! Even with the doors closed, you can hear the waves crashing, which lulled us to sleep each night. We used the grills, but never made it into the hot tub or pool once in 7 nights.

Having the washer and dryer was also really nice. I brought 2 beach towels, which I left in the closet (The owner of the unit provided 2 boogie boards, beach umbrella, cooler, 2 beach chairs). I was able to wash our towels each day, and it didn't feel like chores...I just popped them in while showering, and left the dryer going if we went out...I also did a load of clothes every other day or so, and we came home without any dirty clothes...that could happen anywhere that offers a w/d, but do not overlook the you can pack less clothes idea, I wish I had!

New Years Eve was fun with fireworks everywhere! The front desk posted signs not to use them on the property, but they were everywhere on the beach & kids of all ages were squealing with delight. The best time we had on NYE in years, watching 2014 come in with a "bang"!

Was the unit perfect? The answer is, no. To me, your expectations set the tone of your vacation and you need to know what your acceptance/tolerance level will be. The owner had no overhead lighting (though there were ceiling fans that could have had light kits) so the room was very dim, cable only available in the living room, the wifi from other units was easier to pick up, the bed and sectional were not great, and because the property provided the sheets, well they were not best...Did that affect our trip negatively, well no! We look at life as an adventure, and feel blessed to see and experience new places.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AZWagges

Aloha and mahalo for choosing the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali for your stay here on the beautiful island of Maui. We're thrilled to hear that you felt like home here and that our 24 hour front desk, daily housekeeping and on-site mainteance stafff provided great service to you. It is our goal to show the Aloha Spirit to and exceed the expectations of all our guests.
Here at the Mahana every unit, studio, one bedroom and two bedroom, provides the same spectacular oceanfront views due to our properties absolutely second to none oceanfront location steps from the quieter end of northern Kaanapali beach. Every unit here also has fully equipped kitchens and washer/dryer which as you pointed out enables our guests to save quite a bit of time and money by eating some meals in their unit and washing their own clothes which means less luggage needs to be brought. Our comfortable pool/jacuzzi deck also features complimentary gas grills where guests can cook and mingle while watching those spectacular sunsets.
We will use your suggestions as well to make sure we're providing the best service possible and thank you again for taking the time to provide them here at Trip Advisor.

The entire staff here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali looks forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This resort is in an unbeatable location right on the beach, whereas the other larger resorts in the area sit back from the beach behind landscaped gardens with the large pools mentioned in other reviews. However those pools and gardens were packed out while we were there between Christmas and New Year, whereas the Mahana was a bit quieter. We had some difficulty finding the place as we drove from the airport. It is hidden from the road by larger resorts and not well signed at all. Take the third Kaanapali exit and after 100 yards or so look for the sign on the left with 'Mahana' at the bottom partly obscured by vegetation, opposite the small shopping centre. I discovered once we'd arrived that my Tripit app had provided a very good map, too late! Ample free parking. The beach itself is very narrow, but there is a strip of lawn in front of the hotel with sun lounges. The pool area is small and sunless, (and looks nothing like the photo on the Tripadvisor entry) probably only of use for kids. We had a premium studio on the fifth floor. I had booked a premium one bedroom suite, but it was not available due to 'plumbing issues' so our room rate was reduced and they waived the resort fee for the inconvenience. The studio was fine, so no problem. Others have recommended higher floors - it's possible that rooms on the fifth floor have views restricted by palm trees, but we were positioned at a space between the trees so the ocean view was fantastic. The Times supermarket is a short walk away and is very well stocked, so I didn't need to use Safeways in Lahaina at all. The washer and seperate dryer worked really well, and ample laundry powder provided. Wifi was free and fast.

Some less positive observations. The mattress was old, and the bed linen wasn't the right size for the bed and there was an ill-fitting mattress cover that 'bunched up'. Added to this, housekeeping made the bed with the duvet upside down (buttons at the top). Just meant that we remade the bed each day so no big deal. Housekeeping did service the room every day but also turned up by mistake the morning we left, so a bit haphazard. I did have a problem with the staffing of the Reception desk. Seemed to be just one person even at checkout time, and also answering the phone. Not the best trained reception staff either - I needed to arrange for a package from NZ to be sent on to our next hotel in Honolulu and/or just returned to my home address in Australia. Not possible apparently unless they used the hotel's courier account at a cost of $140 (which I was happy to pay, but all too hard apparently). We checked later at a post office, and the postal cost by air mail would've been about $40. The lady serving at Reception had to refer the issue to her manager sitting in the office behind Reception which left no-one to attend to others, or the phone. This is not an unusual issue for a hotel to deal with, surely, and they made a big deal of it.

Overall conclusion, I think the location and OK quality of the accommodation outweigh the deficiencies in standard of service which were frustrating rather than a serious problem. That ocean view is really special.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank maxie88
bmc11, General Manager at Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to post your comments on your recent stay at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali. We very much agree that our second to none location steps from the quieter northern end of Kaanapali beach provides for absolutely unbeatable oceanfront views from every unit here whether studio, one bedroom or two bedroom. Every unit also features it's own private lanai, fully equipped kitchen and washer/dryer.
Our peaceful and comfortable pool/jacuzzi deck (photo on Trip Advisor is accurate) also has the same fabulous oceanfront views plus complimentary gas grills.
We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service levels provided as it's our goal to exceed the expectations of all our guests. The shipping process when it comes to international destinations can be very complex with customs requirements and of course is much easier when you got to the post office directly. We will work with our entire staff and use your comments to make sure we are providing the highest service levels possible.
We do hope you will allow us another chance to show you the Aloha Spirit and visit the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali again in the future.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed in a studio apartment for 2 weeks in April 2013. The other reviews are correct in that you can't get any closer to the water! We were able to see turtles and whales from our balcony regularly. Seems a bit quieter than some of the other places on this strip as it is near the north end which is both a plus and minus. Less people around but if you want variety in places to eat out, you may have to travel a bit further afield. The short walk to the supermarket was nice and we took advantage of the BBQs several times. Would recommend this place to others but we will likely stay in a different place next time, just to explore other parts of Maui.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Aloha and mahalo for your comments on your recent stay at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the spectacular views offered from every unit here of various marine life including the turtles and whales you saw in addition to the colorful rainbows and beautiful sunsets which appear with the back drop of the neighboring islands of Molokai and Lanai.
Every unit here at the Mahana also features fully equipped kitchens, private lanai (balcony) and washer/dryer for our guest's comfort plus the complimentary gas grills located at our pool/jacuzzi deck. There is also a coffee cart for light refreshments in our lobby.
The quiet and privacy offered from our steps from the quieter end of northern Kaanapali beach is very desirable to our guests however there are many shopping and dining options a short walk or drive away.
We thank you very much for choosing the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali and do hope you return again.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a fantastic place to spend your vacation! You have everything you need plus breathtaking view from your balcony. Everyday we saw sea turtles and whale even before we ever hit the beach or pool. The moment you check in the staff treats you like they really do appreciate that you are staying with them and want you to have everything you need. From the front desk to the concierge service and housekeeping, everyone is smiling, happy and accomodating. Our unit was beautifully decorated , so serene and relaxing. The lobby was very festive with a huge Christmas tree and dozens of poinsettia. They had cookie decorating for the kids on Dec. 23rd, then Santa photos in the lobby on the 24th and to our surprise and delight, Santa knocked on our door on Christmas morning and delivered hawaiian chocolate chips macadamia nut cookies. We really felt special and appreciated.When we were leaving, one of the housekeeping staff saw us loading our bags on the elevator and thanked us for staying there and invited us back. Who does that?! We will be back.

Room Tip: If you want to see what is happening beneath the water level, get a room off the main level. The hig...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Diane L
bmc11, General Manager at Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Aloha and mahalo for such nice comments on your recent stay at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali. All of our guests are treated to the absolutely spectacular oceanfront views from every unit here due to our special location steps away from northern Kaanapali beach however I'm especially thrilled to hear that our staff was able to exceed your expectations in every way and were always smiling, happy and accomodating. All of us take great pride in treating everyone we come in contact with and during the holiday season it's also rewarding to do some of the extra things you mentioned to make our guests feel special being away from home.
I was hoping you would have described Santa as a little bit on the skinny side but it was also rewarding for me as well to see the looks on our guest's faces when delivering the cookies Christmas day, probably helped me to shed a few of the holiday season pounds...

We really appreciate all of your comments and very much look forward to you visiting us again real soon.

Mahalo and have a healthy and happy new year.

Brian

Reviewed 29 December 2013

My wife and I just returned from 9 days stay at the Mahana (this was our 4th stay at the property). This trip was special as we had a party of 9 to celebrate my birthday. Rose Butihi worked with my wife last summer to secure the rooms. She has always made sure our reservations and rooms are in order. Upon arrival late on the 12th - everything was ready to go which made the difference from the start.

Our stay was absolutely amazing and this can be attributed to Jean Fulton at the front desk!!! Jean ensured each and every room was ready to go for our party. Our group stayed in rooms 206, 303, 407, 506 & 508. All the rooms were clean, comfortable, stylish and unique (especially 407 with the stained glass patio door and the unique decor). Throughout the stay Jean greeted the group nightly and asked about our day. I travel regularly for business and have never worked with someone as diligent and caring as Jean.

We spent the majority of our time at the resort near the pool. Why go elsewhere when you have the beach, whale watching, turtles in the surf and snorkeling a few steps away from the Mahana. Duke's Beach House is a short walk next door and perfect for cocktails or dinner (we did both). The pool is perfect for relaxing and was a great gathering place for our party. Our group especially liked the spa which the staff at the Mahana keeps exceptionally clean and hot. The gas grills are nearby and worked great for an afternoon lunch feast (they are cleaned every morning). If you don't want to grill then try breakfast or lunch at the snack bar near the pool.

We always choose the Mahana and plan to return very soon. THANKS for making my birthday celebration a special and memorable occasion for all.

Room Tip: - Try to book the premium rooms - Higher rooms always offer great views to watch the turtles in the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeff W

Aloha and happy birthday from all of us here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali. We're thrilled to hear we were able to make your 4th trip a memorable one for you and your entire group. Rose, Jean and the rest of the staff here make it their goal to show the Aloha Spirit to all of our guests and exceed their expectations.
Our owners take great pride in making sure their units are comfortable and stylish and our daily housekeeping and maintenance staff insures they are clean and that everything is working properly during your stay.
As you know the views from every room here at the Mahana and the relaxing pool/jacuzzi area steps from the quieter end of northern Kaanapali beach are breathtaking. Various marine life, colorful rainbows and beautiful sunsets appearing with a backdrop of the neighboring islands of Molokai and Lanai are seen from everywhere on our property.

We very much look forward to you visiting us again here at the Aston Mahana at Kaanapali for your 5th visit very soon.

Mahalo and have a healthy and happy 2014.

Brian