“Great room, nice hotel.”

Aston Mahana at Kaanapali
Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed 20 January 2009

We stayed at the Mahana at Kaanapali during the Thanksgiving holiday. We stayed in room 113 and it was great. We were on the first floor right next to the pool and the beach only a few steps away. The room itself had an updated kitchen with all modern appliances. The only downside to the hotel is that it does not have an onsite restaurant, but The Village in Lahaina is only a couple of miles down the road. Overall the experience at the Mahana Kaanapali was great and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,951)

Reviewed 4 January 2009

This is a relatively inexpensive place to stay on Maui. It's no-frills and nothing fancy but it is a nice comfortable place to stay. It It's off the beaten path, but you're not too far out from downtown Lahaina. I will definitely go back here when I go to Maui again..

It is oceanfront and the beach is not more than 75' from the building. Perfect if you like to listen to the waves of the ocean overnight and you like a really short walk to the sand. There is a small pool on premises and a community grill/bbq area adjacent to the pool. It is good for families although it is not a resort that offers things to do for the kiddos.

A good choice if you are on a relatively limited budget and would like the freedom to spend your cash without having to be tied into packages the hotel is offering with its accomodations.

A short walk out of this resort and across the street will get you to Java Jazz, a great coffee, r&b, and blues establishment, and a local grocery store to stock your fridge.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank warmweatherfiend
Reviewed 31 December 2008

This was our 3rd visit to Hawaii and we decided to settle on Maui on the Kaanapali Coast. After reading reviews and getting prices My husband and I decided to try the Mahana. Traveling from the East Coast, Maui is a long trip and unfortunately I developed a very sick headache and by the time we reached Kahului around 5:30pm I just wanted to crash. The time change really throughs you off and the headache made me yearn for a hot shower and bed. When we arrived at the Mahana, I had planned on requesting an upgrade unit. We were assigned unit #402 and it wasn't great. Since I felt ill, we stayed and that was our mistake. The carpet was disgusting (very dirty and stained) and the kitchen was probably the original and space was extremely tight. The bathroom was newly remodeled, but very small. Beyond that the view was wonderful and I enjoyed sitting on the lanai and enjoying the view. The waves at night lulled us to sleep and were occasionally loud enough to wake us up. We never quite adjusted to the 5 hour time difference. Lots of wonderful things to do and see in Maui. Loved Haleakala (drive up is a little scary) and glad we did the road to Hana, but would never do again unless we plan on staying in Hana. Great restaurants, good food, love Lahaina and the atmosphere. Enjoyed the Old Lahaina Luau, and highly recommend Ulalena. Stayed on Maui back in 2001 in Wailea and loved it. Stopped back to visit and I would definitely recommend over Kaanapali. Beautiful beaches, nice walking paths along the beach, great shopping and restaurants. As per the recommendations on Tripadvisor, I highly advise anyone to go for breakfast at the Gazebo, a short drive from Kaanapali. There's usually a line, but it's well worth it! I would stay at the Mahana again if I could experience an updated room.

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank FehrLadyAllentown_PA
Reviewed 28 December 2008

After carefully researching and planning our 25th wedding anniversary trip, we decided to book the Mahana through Resort Quest for December 1st - 6th, 2008. We asked for a recently upgraded room, and were not disappointed. We were assigned unit 506, which was a one bedroom, and it was absolutely beautiful. It was a wonderful place to celebrate our anniversary, and our first trip to Hawaii!

Reviewed 24 December 2008

So after carefuly consideration and review of many websites we chose the RQ Mahana in Maui. We booked through the resorts web site, although we really did want to book a specific room through the owner. The problem we encountered with doing that is that most owners require 50% minimum down to hold the reservation and if for whatever reason you need to cancel/change your reservation you loose the money. By booking with the resort directly we had up to 48 hours to cancel our reservation with absolutely no penalty. The room we received was a studio (#313) that was recently renovated. Bathroom, kitchen and most of the suite was excellent. I did leave the owners a note to seriously consider updating their bed linens (old, tattered comforter) and to remove the rug in the living room. The rest of the suite was beautiful ceramic floors, easy to keep clean and fresh smelling. I would suggest that this is probably one of the most beautiful views in all of Maui, and it is right from your room/lanai! The Mahana is the closest building to the ocean anywhere that we saw so the beach is rather narrow and the noise of the waves is unbelieveable! One of the reasons we chose this location was for snorkelling, but forget it. You really need to go either to Black Rock in front of the Sheraton which has a great beach and all the amenities, or our favourite the beach in front of the Ritz Carlton. The one at RC had way more variety of fish, calmer water and a good deal of shade if you wanted it. However, no beach chairs/umbrealls for rent so come prepared.
So, if you;re looking for good value, good service, consider the Mahana. We paid about $1500 for the week, but when we were checking out I heard someone at the front desk quote a walk-in $1100 for the week, so its worth asking for a deal!
The pool is fine, in the shade most of the afternoon, BBQs spotless and plenty of free parking....have fun in Maui.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kimpeteca
DaveMaui, Agent at Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2008

I disagree with the statement to "forget snorkeling by the Mahana". Actually, some of the best, unspoiled, snorkeling on Maui is about 120 yards (2-3 minute walk) south of the Mahana. Directly in front of the buildings is not good due to rock and coral close to shore. But, as posted on signs by the Mahana beach, just a 2 minute walk south is easy access into the ocean and wonderful snorkeling. There is large variety of colorful fish and often large turtles. I find it to be substantially better than by "black rock" which is usually crowded due to the number of nearby large hotels.

Reviewed 22 December 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Mahana 12/2/08 - 12/13/08 in room 516. We loved it!!! It was quiet and beautiful. We really enjoyed the view. We had palm trees near our windows and it really made our pictures lovely. The room was simple, clean and elegant. We only had to go to the front desk to have our keys rekeyed, and the front desk people were great. We booked through our AAA travel agent and had no problems. I have pictures but am unable to post them at this time.

My mother had wanted to visit Maui again and stay at the Mahana. Sadly, she passed away earlier this year and did not get to visit. I thought it would be nice to do the trip that she and I had started to plan. My husband and I brought some of her ashes to the island and left a little in several beautiful spots.

The Mahana made our stay such a joy that we will be back.

2  Thank cindylou421
Reviewed 13 December 2008

We booked the Mahana after reading all the reviews on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. We wanted the ocean views and we got even more than we bargained for at room 314. Coz its a low floor, it really felt like the ocean was right in front of us. Heard from our guide while on a tour that this place has one of the best ever views among all the condos on the island as you get unobstructed views practically right on the beach.

Would recommend Cruiser Phil for the downhill bike ride and Sail Trilogy for the snokelling cruise - we even saw whales though it was two weeks early and the season hadn't opened for their whale watching trips! Nearby Kapalua plantation golf course was great and had breathtaking views even for me, I dont play so stayed in the buggy and snapped photos while my husband enjoyed the course... though we heard from many others that Princeville is even better (course is open though resort is shut for renovations).

Da Kitchen near Wal Mart is where the locals go and has incredibly large and tasty plate lunches. Trust us, share one. We also went to Bubba Gump in Lahaina town which is a nice place for a walk and browse of the shops.

2  Thank DLJC