“Another Year in Paradise”

Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina & Napili Towers
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Orangevale, California
“Another Year in Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

We are owners and come every year but this year was exceptional. We were given room 9005--Wow what a spectacular view! The view was amazing--almost ocean front. The grounds were impeccable as always. We have stayed in other hotels in Maui and you just don't get the same service and beautiful upkeep of the grounds. The pool was the perfect temperature this year(it has been cold the past few years) it might be because it was so warm this week (ave. 84 degrees). We used the laundry facilities for the first time and they were great. They have 10 large washers and 20 dryers and it is free to use them/ Soap was $1 per box. We also ate at the All You Can Eat prime rib and crab legs buffet at Longboards. We have had much better service in the past and the food was average. You can't beat the view right on the water and the sunset was amazing that night. As owners you no longer get lei's when you arrive. You can donate $2 and get one if you choose. We found a great new restaurant while we were there, Honu, behind the Cannery Mall. Great food but a little on the pricey side. I had a massage for the first time at the Marriott Spa. I had a great massage therapist, Jess, I would recommend her. Some other fun places to eat are: Star Noodle, Leilani's, Kimo's and Lulu's for breakfast. We like to go to the Honolua Store in Kapalua. It is under major construction and they have a temporary location on Office Road. We stopped for lunch and they still had a lot of options. Whaler's Village is just a walk down the beach walk where they had a free hula show each night. Stop and have a sample of my favorite cookies from the Honolulu Cookie store. The dark chocolate dipped with coconut are my favorite. It was another great week and the Marriott never disappoints us.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NorCal-traveler08

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
Danville, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at the Marriott Ocean Club resort. In both cases we stayed in the older converted hotel “suite” section (Lanai tower) instead of the “villa” section (Napili tower). There are some disadvantages to the suite rooms. There is no kitchen, washer/dryer, or whirlpool tub. Furthermore, the dining room table seats only 4 and the lighting over the table and microwave area is … well overly romantic (ie.dim). On the other hand, our two-bedroom suite is essentially three hotel rooms interconnected by doors. There are 3 bathrooms, a huge amount of space, and 3 balconies. Moreover, there is a free to use laundry with a waiting lounge and 10 excellent shared BBQ grills and a community kitchen. A huge parking structure is available free for guests but it has small spaces.

The resort location is perfect. Lahaina is just 5 minutes away by car. A beach walk connects all the resorts in the Kaanapali area. Restaurants abound as well as nice beaches. However, the sandy beach adjacent to the resort is very narrow with significant wave action. Above the beach is a lawn area where you can rent cabanas for the day. Personally, I’ll take Caribbean water any day to Hawaii water based on temp. I would recommend renting a car because only hotel restaurants and those in Whaler’s Cove are walk accessible. Besides, getting groceries at the nearby Safeway is a good way to augment restaurant meal and for breakfast and lunch food. Buy foods you can grill because the community kitchen is not practical in my estimation. BTW, pineapple is cheap here and is really yummy grilled.

The best part of the resort is the gardens and pools. The whole place is extremely family friendly. There are a lot of children and babies, even in Oct. Some guests tell me that the place is overcrowded in the peak of summer, however, it was perfect when we were here. There is one huge pool or many pools depending on how you look at it. The children’s pool has a fun pirate’s ship. There are two small water slides, waterfalls, and multiple levels. The deepest is 5’ but no lifeguards. There is a pool bar and restaurant that serves great takeout food and a more formal restaurant we did not try. Like all of Maui, it’s pricy but good.

There is a new activities program and it’s chock full of fun family things to do. For exercise, we did Zumba or Aqua Zumba every day except Sat & Sun. The exercise facility with weights and machines looked fabulous and was busy in the mornings but we did not use it. For now, all activities are complementary. I hope they stay that way. The WiFi is the best I have seen in a Marriott resort. It was consistently fast and did not require any goofy login procedure. I’m glad somebody at Marriott came to their senses about internet access. You can actually get work done here is you must.

In summary, great location, beautiful gardens and pools, family friendly, fun activities, fine WiFi and good rooms, with the villas being a better choice than the suites. I’d come any time I could!

Room Tip: 7104 & 7103 Lanai Tower. Has great view of ocean.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Capitola, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel using my Marriott destination points so I was able to pick the size and view I wanted. So, I said I'd rather a few days with spectacular view and a kitchen, so I really didn't need to go off the property unless I wanted to. I had ocean front in the Napili villa tower. Beautiful and less like a hotel and more like a condo stay but with the security of knowing it has Marriott standards. While I was there I took the 90 min tour and realized that the units that are not in the two villas- napili on north and Lahaina on south ends of Marriotts property also have benefits I might like if I came back with girlfriends or the family. The one bedroom villa has 1 bedroom and 1 bath- full kitchen, but the non villa 1 bedroom has 2 bathrooms- which is nice when traveling with people where each party may want their own bathroom and the kitchen is adequate- no stove or cooktop and smaller refrig, but they offset would be worth it for the 2nd bathroom. Also didn't feel like a hotel room...the patios in the non villas also seem larger and you can see on the tour a unit oceanfront so I was able to compare apples to apples with what I had booked. I could have had the non villa oceanfront for slightly less amount of destination points, so a good thing to keep in mind if traveling there again. While I was there I booked two massages. The lady at the spa suggested the out on the beach (near end of property Lahaina building side) and it was fabulous to have a massage with the breeze of the ocean over you and the sound of the waves literally a few steps away. She also suggested doing it in the morning when its not so warm, great suggestion,
Had different massage therapists but each helped my frozen shoulder pain and I left feeling physically better and also mentally refreshed by the location and beautiful ocean sound and breeze. All in all, a great trip, albeit short.

Room Tip: I was on 8th floor of napili ocean front. Great location and views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank mhernandz
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

So much to say! So let me use bullet points before I write an essay...

Positives:
- Had a beautiful ocean front corner room in the Lanai tower
- Overall comfy bed
- Comfy room
- Bathroom was spacious and nice (not luxorious but no complaints here)
- Free WiFI!
- Helpful staff - all very pleasant :)
- Impeccable grounds w/ beautiful views, manicured greens, three pools to choose from with hot tub
- Inspiring views
- Well priced cabanas to rent
- Plenty of lay out chairs - always found a spot
- HH at Longboards - order the Coconut Shrimp, get a cocktail and watch the sun set
- Nice boardwalk that you can use to walk to other hotels for dinner, Whaler's Village for shopping and eats (hello Hula Grill!) and you can walk down to Black Rock for amaze-balls snorkeling with sea turtles, sting rays, etc (take your ID to rent snorkel gear from the Sheraton down there)

Negatives:
- Pillows sucked :/
- A bit dated but nothing to get your knickers in a twist about
- Our room didn't have a ktichenette in it
- Drinks really SUCKED - just tasted weak or just weird - Try Hula Grill for better drinks
- Dinner at Longboards was not good - fish was overcooked
- Resort is in Lahaina which is a good half hour to get to the rest of the highways to take you to Wailea or Paia, airport, Haiku etc

TIPS:
- Get cheaper surboard and paddle board rentals just a short walk on the boarwalk towards whaler's village. You'll see a red umbrella on the beach with folks renting out perfectly fine boards and MUCH cheaper :)
- Take your regular goggles with you - you can see tropical beach even off Marriott's beach front

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaBernies
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

This hotel helped make our stay in Maui a memorable time! The hotel/room was extremely clean. Location was a perfect location. Though there was valet parking, we chose to use the parking garage which was easily accessible and not too far out of the way, once you got the hang of it. The front desk was extremely helpful and all employees we associated with were extremely helpful and pleasant. Would go back again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Lanai tower which could use a facelift. Exterior rather drab. Ocean view king room was very nice, spacious, with a kitchenette. Pools were great, 3 to choose from. Hammocks on property were relaxing and inviting. Pool bar and Starbucks by the pool. Easy walk to Whaler's Village for shopping and restaurants ( there is a restaurant on property). Beach in front of hotel is a bit rocky but easy access to better sand next door.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Mbfeldt
orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

This is my favorite of our timeshares. We have now stayed on all the island and each time we long to end our visits with a relaxing week ant the Maui Ocean Club. Services are great, facilities are awesome. We stayed in a two bedroom villa Napili Tower. We used the beach chairs for the week and longed to see a whale but we were about three weeks early. Oh well, next time we come in February as I am told they will have many many just off shore. Guest services was great and I love the Starbucks addition and modifications to the beach grill. The shops at the Whalers Village were all occupied with many upper brand names and local shops. Food was great. Aloha, until 2015.

Room Tip: Any room is good because you should be out on property most of the time.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family