“Absolutely Fabulous”

Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Cleveland, Ohio
“Absolutely Fabulous”
Reviewed 17 June 2009

I returned from the Marriott Ocean Club on Saturday June 13th after spending 8 nights there. It was amazing. The grounds of the resort were clean and well manicured. The rooms were spacious and clean. Having 3 different pools to chose from was nice, the Superpool was closed for renovation when we arrived but opened on Wednesday June 10th, so we were able to use it for 3 days. Longboards resturant is good food with Happy Hour each night. The Beachwalk Market place is ideal for snacks, lunch, breakfast, ice cream and beverages. The location of the Marriott is in between the Westin and the Hyatt, there is a long walking path beween all the hotels that leads to Whallers Village, a small shopping area with resturants, fast food and an ABC store. The entire trip was amazing.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank dawn517

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
Reviewed 13 June 2009

We stayed here for 7 wonderful days from 5/29-6/5. It was my husband and two 18yrs. We stayed in the older unit so I was alittle upset we had no cooking facilities. The rooms and beds were amazing as always with Marriott. The walk along the beach is great in the morning and at night. Whalers village is so close as many other activites. We snorkeled with Teralani's the best in my book which is just a short walk down from the Marriott near Westin. Jet Skis and other water activietes parasailing are right in front on the beach to enjoy. Staff was accomodating. I agree with one writer about the 7:30 am phone calls especially when you have a 5 hour time change and your phone rings. i enjoyed the fact that we did not have to pay for laundry in the coin operated area as we thought we had that in our room. The main pool was closed so our room looked over it everyday the bad thing we never saw one person working on it the entire week we were there until the day we left they started moving chairs over. I felt the ppol could of opened alot sooner if people would have worked on getting things back into place. I have always loved going to Kaui this is my first time on Maui and I must admit I did enjoy it. It is alot more crowded and there is alot more activity at the resort so sometimes peace and quite may be hard to find. Especailly since the walk way is open to everyone. My biggest compliant is Longboards (rude service) we waited over 20 minutes for someone to wait on us and finally the waiter walks over after three employees noticed us waiting there and said that this section was closed. Needless to say i was not happy. My other complaint is locals going into the pools and hot tubs. The Westin or Hilton all have property wrist bands I think this is a big problem for Marriott and they should start this also. Overall I'd be back in a minute. Lahina is a great place to spend the nightlife and walking the quaint town. Great places to eat and many shops. I can honestly say we LOVED it here. Kaui is also fabulous is if you want a quieter atmosphere

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank dukendeb
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We loved this place. Exceeded our expectations. Staff was very helpful and very friendly. Grounds were amazing. Rooms were very nice and comfortable. The a/c problem we reported was tended to immediately. The only drawback was the long walk from the parking garage but it most definitely didn't mess up the wonderful experience this place was. Very romantic and relaxing.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gzusreins00
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We just returned from an 8 day stay at the Maui Ocean Club, it was a family trip, and we had a great time, it was a gift to us, so I can't comment on the value for the dollar, I don't honestly know how much our room was. It's in a great location for walking to Whalers Village for great eating and shopping, also the Pantry and Longboards on the property offer great food for a decent value you could virtually remain on the property and be entertained and have your needs met for days.
It was a little difficult staying while the main pool was under construction, but surprisingly the other pools were not as crowded as you would think, it seems quite a few people prefer the beach, where if you have children, you can rent umbrellas for shade on the beach and make a day of it.
There are quite a few daily activities going on every day on the property for guests which you can participate in, Bocce Ball tournaments, fishing with the staff off the shore, surf lessons, yoga in the A.M. near the pool.
The only real complaint I have is the cleanliness of the kitchen and bathroom in the room we had which was a 1 bedroom suite with the kitchenette. It was dirty, the cupboards are NOT wiped down, the handles were grimy, dishes had been put away dirty by previous guests, the coffee maker was cracked.
The bathroom was just marginally clean, light switches were disgustingly filthy, so was the blow dryer handle and the door handles. In fact, I got so grossed out I went to the local Safeway market and got a tub of Lysol wipes and went back and wiped everything down, it was that bad. The beds were clean and comfortable, the sofa and side chairs were on the newer side and seemed clean enough, the carpet seemed clean.
The outside grounds are beautiful, the lobby and interior is maintained very nicely, the pool was always clean and sparkly, the wait staff poolside is very friendly and attentive, in fact all the staff are really nice and friendly. We ate in both restaurants on the grounds and the food was good and fresh. If you have small children book a lower floor room, it's a huge property, and getting from point A to point B can be exhausting, so minimize dragging kids, pool toys and towels by staying close to the pool in a lower floor if you can. A big plus is if you have a rental car, there is a 10 story parking structure on the property, and self parking here is free for as long as your stay, that's a great value. If you don't have a rental car, plenty is there on the property to keep you entertained as well as Whalers Village on the beach path walkway. Overall, unless your Howie Mandel and you have serious germ-a-phobia, and the dirty bathroom and kitchen won't bug you, then you will have a wonderful time at this hotel, it will not disappoint.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank judescash
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We had a wonderful stay at the Ocean Club in a 1-bedroom unit in the Lanai tower (5th floor).

Pros:
*The fitness center is state-of-the-art, and has three separate rooms: machines, cardio equipment, and free weights. It's kept frigid in all 3 rooms, which I loved.
*The staff was friendly, but left us alone for the most part (which we appreciated!)
*Granite counter tops in the kitchens and bathrooms.
*Kitchen was well supplied with dishes, soap, utensils, etc. (Microwave, but no stove/oven)
*Rooms were fairly large
*While there was some construction going on, the noise wasn't overbearing for us.
*TVs were HD
*Two patios with chairs/tables --- one off of the living room, one off of the bedroom. Both had lovely ocean views.

Cons:
*We did have to call to request a room cleaning mid-way through the week and more towels a couple of times. This was a very mild annoyance, but they quickly delivered them within 10 minutes.
*The Welcome Center called our room FOUR days in a row at 7:30. Apparently, they finally realized we weren't coming to the welcome center after the fourth try. . .Again, a very mild annoyance.
*Parking spaces were tiny. While we had to go to the top floor of the garage to find parking a few times, we always found a spot.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank coloradoamanda
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 3 May 2009

We stayed in an ocean front condo (room 108) in the Molokai tower from April 23rd – May 1st.

We had a great experience at the Marriott overall but there were a few items I wanted to comment on...

Although the main pool is currently under construction, we did not feel that it was a big issue in general but we did not look out of our balcony and at the construction like many did. The new pool to the North is very nice and we saw whales every day which is quite amazing for the last week in April. This is my fourth stay at this property and have enjoyed it every time. We really enjoyed the Teralani sailing trips that board just down the beach from the Marriott.

A couple negatives:

Longboards – Restaurant on site at Marriott was horrible. We went there on the night when they sent out the 25% off coupons for the “first 100 customers” which is clearly just a ploy to get people to come to their place because the Marriott knows most have learned it is much better to just walk down to Whaler’s Village. We went and had horrible service from our extremely rude waiter… I couldn’t wait for the bill to come and give this guy a horrible tip for his equally horrible service (he acted like we were stupid because we had many questions about the fish and preparation methods). When he brought the bill he explained that the coupons that the Marriott gave us when entering the property (for 2 free Mai Tai’s) would not work on that night… and they “automatically add” a 18% tip on all of the nights when they do the 25% off food items deal… what a crock… avoid this place at all costs and shop at Costco and cook your meals on the really nice grill areas supplied by the Marriott at the new buildings or walk down to Lei Lanis or Hula Grill every night.

Ocean / Beach activities on the Marriott property are no longer operated directly by the Marriott but are subcontracted out to another company in Maui. I asked concierge about this decision and they said it was done because of the down turn in the economy. WARNING – These guys are snake oil salesmen… depending on the mood of the people or time of day I seemed to get quotes for the same services… The Kayak I wanted to rent the first day was $30 for the first hour and $10 for each subsequent hour and the next day it was $40 for first and $20 for each extra… I called these guys on it and they told me “you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about”. These guys can be total jerks because they just say they’re not “Marriott” and their antics supposedly do not reflect on them but they really do in my book. After that ordeal I found out that every single ocean activities area on the boardwalk down Ka’annapali offers activities at better prices than these clowns. Also… be prepared to get the hard-sell on some crappy sunglasses every time you walk by these guys if you so much catch eye contact with the guy as he is with this same outfit.

On our last night (Thursday) the room directly above us was undergoing some sort of construction and I walked out of my room and hollered up at the guy to ask him to stop drilling (at 9pm!) and he stopped as soon as I asked. I mentioned this issue to the front counter the next morning at 6:45 am when this started happening again and gave me a $75 credit on my bill.

On another note I must say that I really enjoyed the timeshare presentation as it was really informative and the new building is unreal nice. My sales guy Sandy Wall was great and didn’t try to sell us hard at all. I’ll call him back when I can drop 50k on a timeshare.

Overall we had a good time but had a few issues that I wanted everyone to be aware of.

I will be returning to this property again during whale season and would look in to buying a condo someday when I have a family of my own (I was using my dad’s condo who traded his primary property in Kauai).

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank daut_travler
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed 29 April 2009

We really enjoyed our 4 night stay at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club. We stayed in the older section (Phase I) with our children ages 6 & 8. At first I was hoping that we could get an upgrade to the newer units as the new units have a full kitchen, but was glad we were in the older section since we were right by super pool. Our one bedroom, two bath unit was very roomy. It was two large hotel rooms connected by a walk through. The huge doorwalls led to two separate balconies. The living room had a small kitchenette with small refrigerator, microwave, and dishwasher. There were dishes, glassware, and flatware. Along with the pullout sofa in the living room we also requested a rollaway. At night time with the sofa pulled out and the rollaway down, it was a tight squeeze, but still room to walk around. During the day the rollaway was easily put out of the way by putting it on it's side. The bedroom had a very comfortable king size bed, chair, and desk and there was still a lot of room. A rollaway could even be put in the bedroom with there still being a lot of room left. It was a very peaceful stay. Never heard any loud noises outside of the room to disturb or wake us. The grounds were beautiful and well kept. The pool was fantastic! Very large with waterfalls and slides. The only problem by the pool was that by 8am most of the pool chairs were reserved with towels. We did eat lunch on property one day, but the menus at the restaurants weren't very appealing to us, so we didn't eat on property more. The Beach Walk Market & Pantry had limited breakfast and lunch items. It was also a place to purchase miscellaneous items (milk, fruit, ice cream bars, etc). The beach was very nice, but not really swimmable. Within 6 feet from the shore there was a lot of coral. There were some people snorkling, but no one swimming. We loved the walk along the beach which made it easy to walk to Whaler's Village for shopping. Can't wait to return one day.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family