“Second stay, this time with kids.”

Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Second stay, this time with kids.”
Reviewed 28 September 2005

My second trip to Napili Shores in less than a year (lucky me!), this time with a toddler in tow. My husband & I were impressed with the place when we stayed in Nov 2004 and when a bundle of frequent flyer miles were due to expire, we couldn't pass up the chance to go again. We returned to this location because we found it to be very family-friendly and wanted to bring our 2-year-old this time. Great location for kids- the garden pool is heated and the beach is perfect for little ones. Waves are gentle and there's snorkeling right off the beach. The kitchen really comes in handy when traveling with kids.

We mostly ate in the room and used the BBQs in the common area, but did have a few great meals while visiting. Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina has a great view and reasonably-priced, good food. Komi's (also in Lahaina) served a beautiful sunset dinner. Maui Tacos (right near the Napili Market) had good food also at reasonable prices. The Gazebo (on the grounds) is a good coffee shop in a fabulous location.

Our room was an ocean view (and there was a view, spectacular sunsets) on the second floor (building B). And in August it is HOT! The angling of the buildings does not allow for a good breeze to come through, but the staff provided a fan and we survived. The heat was not as much of an issue during our Nov stay, but we did move from a 1st floor to a 2nd floor room then so we could sleep with the windows open.

Resort staff are friendly and accomodating, but I did find the "activities director/ concierge" to be unfriendly and unhelpful. Her suggestion for what to do on the island with a 2-year-old was a helicopter ride (at $150 each). Right. Instead we went to the Maui Ocean Center (where the director did not earn a commission for our visit!) and found it to be a world-class aquarium and a perfect place to spend a less-than-perfect beach day. The restaurant on the grounds there is excellent. Highly recommend a visit there for adults and kids of all ages.

Rooms are in need of some maintenance. Dated decor doesn't bother me, but the toilet conking out in the middle of the night was a problem. Other repairs in the unit also needed to be done while we were there, but the staff responded quickly.

Great place for a low-key, family friendly vacation. Would return, but will also consider some of the other resorts in Napili Bay that front the same beach.

• Stayed August 2005
14 Thank tinkleflick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Korean first
Westcoast_Girl
Reviewed 26 September 2005

I stayed here for 2 nights this month with my mom. We booked our room through Travelocity[...] for a good rate. Upon arrival, the front desk could not find our reservation, but they immediately upgraded us to a 1 bedroom garden (from a studio garden), so we were happy. The room was spotless, and had everything that we needed. No air conditioning, but with the ocean brezzes and ceiling fans, it was fine. The 2nd night, they gave us another option of upgrading to a 1 bedroom ocean view, which we glady accepted. The staff is very nice and so friendly which gave a warm first impression os Maui! We never ate at the Gazebo restaurant but it was always full and I know it is highly recommended.

We had a full kitchen so it was nice to buy groceries and eat breakfast on the lanai. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, with 2 pools, and all amenities were very nice. Napili Bay is adjacent and a 1 minute walk over some rocks to get to. If you are looking for an elaborate resort, this place is not for you. It's a smaller, cozier stay. I would definitely return.

The only downside is that the 1 bedrooms have an open window (up high) facing the parking lot, which can be a bit noisy. Otherwise, a great stay!

Stayed September 2005
9 Thank VanBC_girl
North Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 14 September 2005

Napili Shores was what I expected. A fairly quiet, serve yourself piece of paradise in heaven. At time the pool area can be loud, so if you want quiet, ask for a room away from the pools. Other then that, everything is spotless. The condo has everything you need to make yourself at home. The BBQ grills are plentiful, clean and great to use. It is also a nice place to meet new friends and share ideas for cooking. Seeing the turtles in the morning out in the bay was a great way to start off each day. While the maid service was every three days, that worked out very well. Full time around the clock security walked the hotel giving us a very safe feeling.
This condo is not the Westin or the Marriott. You are about 5 miles for a grocery store and 8 miles to Lahaina, but that is one of the beauty parts. Very little if any crowds. What Napili Shores is is a very wonderful place to come home to each day with a great view, clean park like setting, your choice of two very nice pools and wonderful people. If that is what you are looking for, you will find it here.

• Stayed September 2005
8 Thank PeterV54301
Port Chester, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2005

Stayed in studio for one night. It was fine, although no bargain. However, the front desk staff were extremely nice. The resort is right on Napili Bay, which we loved. Calm, warm water, and the best snorkeling withouth going out far. The reef is easy to swim to, tons of fish, and enough sea turtles to make seeing at least one pretty likely. Having discovered this, we wanted to spend as much time as possible at the beach on the day of our checkout (and flight back to the mainland). Although late checkout wasn't availble, they provided a "hospitality room" for one hour in the early afternoon so that we could shower and pack our stuff. Wonderful.

• Stayed July 2005
11 Thank dabbler45
Houston, TX
Reviewed 27 July 2005

We stayed here 07/18/05 - 07/21/05. This condo was just perfect for us. The grounds are beautiful. Even though their description says that it's not a "beach front" or at least in the Funjet travel brouchure....it is beach front. Directly in front on the condo is rocks that are in the ocean you can walk on, there is a walking gate connecting it to the beach.

They do not have a/c. Our room was beach front and not having a/c wasn't a problem at all--even in July. The wind blows constantly. Being from Texas--I was very nervous about not having a/c.

We will definatley stay here on our next trip.

8 Thank sfa1996
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 July 2005

This was our first time to Hawaii and I don't think that I could have chosen a better place to stay. The grounds were just like the pictures, the Plumeria trees were abundent and smelled wonderful. The first morning, I walked down to the water and just loved the landscape. Directly on the water was the lava beach with sea life. To one side was a beautiful sand beach that families could enjoy. To the other side was an incredible lagoon with some of the best snorkeling that I've seen on the island(coral, fish, etc..). An added bonus was the 7 or so sea turtles that live there. The lagoon was protected from rough currents and I was there almost every spare moment.

The grounds of the hotel were very well cared for, the pools clean, and many people took advantage of the gas grills that were scattered throughout.

The location is about a 15minute drive from Lahaina and had plenty of nearby markets and accomodations. For example, if you are snorkeling, Snorkel Bobs is a 1/2 mile walk where you can get top quaility gear at very low prices. All rooms have a full kitchen (with plates, blender, etc) so we found the market a welcome convenience.

This is not a 5 star hotel golf resort - however, if I stayed in a place like that, I would think I would have regretted it. It just would not have given me the intimate feel of Hawaii I was looking for.

• Stayed July 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 July 2005

I stayed at the Napili Shores from a referral from a friend and also Trip Advisor. After reading the reviews, I felt that it was pretty much a sure bet that I'd like it. The one bedroom more than enough houses 3 people. Our room was upstairs which was perfect and left our glass sliding door open at night for the breeze. It's true that there is no a/c, but with the ceiling fan and the tropical breeze, and the length of time you'll be there, I felt you don't really need it. The grounds are absolutely beautiful, and always kept clean. I noticed that the people who stayed at the Napili Shores, (other people who were also on vacation) were very friendly and polite. People left their towels outside, etc. on their lanai, and that it was just a really nice place there and safe. Barbeques are a real plus and never a problem to get a barbeque. The view from the grounds to the ocean is breathtaking! One night we had a visitor, it was a gecko! I didn't know quite what to do. So, I just left the little guy alone, and went to sleep. Nature and all, you just gotta love it. It is pretty quiet there, and not much to do, but for the price in comparison to other hotels, you can save your money at the Napili, love it there and spend it somewhere else. The beach was actually right down some stairs. We went swimming the morning we were leaving at 6:30 in the morning. It was different than what we're used to. I'd definitely stay here again, it was absolutely beautiful, with the smell of the plumeria trees all around. Other people whom I spoke with at the Napili mentioned that this was their 7th time and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Hearing that, I know that I made the right decision.

• Stayed June 2005