“Wonderful”
Review of Sands of Kahana

Sands of Kahana
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Terrific view from Oceanside room.
Clean pool, easy access to ocean.
Casual poolside bar/restaurant enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2011
There are newer reviews for Sands of Kahana

Reviewed 13 July 2011

Being booked in a one bedroom unit, and the property has not air conditioning, I was very concerned about what we would find upon our arrival. To my great relief we were provided an ocean view room in building 2 and when we opened the sliding door were greeting by a refreshing breeze and partial water view.

The unit was very spacious and clean though definitely in need of a cosmetic update. All the necessary items were in place and the bed was comfortable. The property beach was fine though no lawn chairs were allowed on the sand. As already stated the pool was a disappointment (size) but we really came to swim in the ocean so we didn't really care. The restaurant on the property was fine for a casual lunch/dinner. We enjoyed lunch there once and were happy with the food and prices. Service was very good. The entire facility was very clean and staff were constantly busy keeping it nice. The property also has a number of outdoor bbq stations, a putting green, and smaller pool for kids. There are daily activities in the community center but unfortunately the one day my daughter and friend tried to go (making flower leis) the activity was cancelled last minute due to issues with their flower provider

The street outside the hotel is noisy and definitely not something you would want to sit on a deck with morning coffee watching. Also an issue was our bedroom window - a louvered style - let in a tremendous amount of noise. Our front room was the ocean view meaning the bedroom window was over the parking lot. You would think that cars and people were the noise makers...think again. Each morning at sunrise (5 AM) the local bird population awoke and made incredible noise...LOL. Nothing that cannot be fixed with simple foam earplugs but well there it is. Our final issue was with our unit's washer/dryer which was really old and ruined all of our white clothes and the dryer never really dried anything.

We stayed at SoK for 7 nights and overall we would be happy to stay again as long as we could be guaranteed an ocean view room.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank GoodJava
dloera, Manager at Sands of Kahana, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Thank you for the review of your weeklong visit with us. You see the true face of a resort when you stay for seven days, as you did, and we’re happy you enjoyed our restaurant and amenities. Our housekeeping staff will also be pleased to hear of its positive contribution to your vacation. We apologize for our washer and dryer. We are looking into that specific unit’s appliances and will make any necessary adjustments.

We agree early wakeup calls are for the birds. We’ll have a talk with our avian singers and see if we can’t get them to start their day at a more reasonable hour. We would love to guarantee an ocean view room if it would entice you to return. Unfortunately, we get more requests for ocean view rooms than for any other, and like most resorts are unable to guarantee location. We can promise we’ll try our best to put you into one on your next visit. Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2011

Yes the rooms were very spacious! They were also clean and the furnishings were nice! But we chose this timeshare because it was out of the way, and thus should be quieter and because it was on the beach...on both accounts we were very disappointed! I am pretty sure the guy driving the linens truck and the cleaning crew with their noisy little carts go our of their way to make sure everyone in the area can hear them!!! Yes we can hear you working but we are trying to escape the NOISE! The beach...awe...yes it is on a beach that is all of about 10 feet deep....but it is a beautiful view. The postage stamp sized swimming pool was very refreshing! The hot tub was huge...but who needs a hot tub in Hawaii..although our teenagers found it a nice way to meet other teens! The concierge service was awesome..but they are a separate company from the time share.
The restaurant has good (not great) food, but the price is right especially between 5:30-6:30. But do not go in a hurry...their staff is VERY friendly...but VERY slow! We did like that at happy hour they let us sit and enjoy a cocktail and use a table to play some cards..they never once made us feel like we were taking up room....of course there were lots of empty tables at that early hour. The front desk was for the most part very helpful...they had one bad apple with a real attitude....when we called before leaving our home, were told there was wi-fi in the room...NOPE...there was one cable.....we have 4 teenagers and two adults and several computers....and ONE cable hook-up. So yes we were frustrated...a simple apology would have been fine. But this guy got nasty and even said "nothing is for free any more!" We weren't expecting it to be free...we just wanted it as we were promised and would have been happy to pay for it. Geeesh! So now I am downstairs sitting behind this counter writing this review....it is an awkward spot because it looks like you are on staff here...several times we have had people come to the counter and ask questions! It is kind of funny...we help them as best as we can and giggle when they leave. Oh and as I sit here, there goes another housekeeping person rolling by...yes....I can hear you!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank blending
dloera, Manager at Sands of Kahana, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

Thank you for your comments. I am happy you enjoyed our clean, spacious rooms and thoughtful appointments during your recent stay with us. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced. Our priority is to provide exceptional customer service and correct problems as they arise.

In response to the noise issue, we have experimented with different cart and cart wheel types that work harmoniously with our tile floors. It has been a challenge due to the hard surface, and we are sorry the noise disturbed you. If it were as simple as ripping up the tile and replacing it with carpet, we would. As an open-air resort, however, we require resilient flooring that can withstand the elements. Carpet isn’t an option.

We think we have one of the happiest happy hours and some of the most hospitable hosts. Thank you for acknowledging them. We agree with your assessment about the beautiful view from our beach, and would add that many owners and guests remark how kid-friendly it is.

Thank you for your feedback on the internet. We are looking into purchasing a router that could be checked out at the front desk and enable you to share one connection wirelessly in your room. We apologize the Wi-Fi issue caused a challenge with one of our agents. Our goal is to always treat you with the utmost courtesy and respect, and we are sorry for the misunderstanding. We are happy that you otherwise found our front desk helpful.

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments.

Reviewed 1 June 2011

We have been coming here for 11 years. That says something in its self. We give it a solid 5 star rating, but I do want to comment on all the lower star ratings.
First .... I agree with the general negativity that has been written by the non-owner/renters. As a 2BR owner, we get a great location every time. We rotate ocean front and ocean view every year. It is fair and we have no gripes.

I have learned that the renters do not get the good units unless they are vacant. There are allot of 1BR units that I would not want to stay in. I agree with their comments. Low, street noise, no view, and poor breeze blow thru. That would not be good and I sympathise. Your rating is justified.

As far as the resort outside of room location. The units are huge. Well appointed. Not Four Seasons, but far better than hotel drab. The pool is fair. Spa is good. The grounds and landscaping are excellent. Top notch BBQ's for all to use. The beach and sand is very very nice. Chair and chaise quality is fair. Quantity is fair. Neither great. This is not a long walk capable beach though. That has its plus & minus.

Lastly. I want to say that after maybe 100 trips to the restaurant, I give it 4+ stars. I see that some have not had a good experience. And I guess that will happen anywhere. But, I hope you you will give credit to our amount of visits and that we have had almost 100% of time a very very good experience. Be it breakfast, lunch, dinner, or happy hour, I find the price and quality to be above average. I can't emphasize enough that it is one of the best dinning spots on the west shore.

Summary, as a renter, maybe not perfect. Better or worse than other options? I really don't know. As an owner ..... we love it and it is our home away from home.

Room Tip: Try to rent from an owner and not the resort.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank ad0926
Reviewed 4 April 2011

The Good: Very spacious, very clean, nice grounds, on site restaraunt, on the beach, koi pond, small putting green & tennis courts. Housekeeping was very prompt in responding to request for floor fan & minor bathroom repair. Flat screen TVs in living room & 2nd bedroom & DVD player. There are numerous gas BBQs available for use. There is free underground parking.

The Bad: No umbrellas by the (quite small) pool, wired internet (only in rooms) with a $10 daily charge, slowwwww elevator, no one to assist with luggage, furnishings in dire need of updating & the beach has very little sand & no lounge chairs are allowed.

The Ugly: NO AIR CONDITIONING!!! Mediocre service from the check in desk and service in the restraunt was terrible, VERY noisy in the room.

I had requested an ocean view room & when I arrived I was told that getting an ocean view room unless you were the owner of a unit was next to impossible. Being Maui, it of course was quite warm & the no a/c made sleep tough.....add to that the noise from the street below at night & the housekeeping staff in the morning, sleep was elusive. My "mountain view" room consisted of a balcony over the staff parking lot. The unit was quite large & spotlessly clean. The layout was a little odd with the master bedroom opening via a sliding door to the living room & the second bedroom was so tiny that you couldnt open the dresser because the bed was in the way. However, the living room, dining room & kitchen were very spacious & the kitchen was fully stocked with all the utencils that you may need. At the restaraunt, I had to wait almost 15 minutes to order, I got my order very quickly (salad & beer) and then after asking for the check, I waited (no exaggeration) 15 minutes, at which point I went to the register & said that if I didnt get the check, I would leave without paying. The waiter said the computor was down & therefore he had to figure it by hand (mind you, an $11.00 salad & a $4.75 beer with tax of 79 cents. I believe any 2nd grade kid could have figured that in their head). The area of Kahana is nice & Kaanapali is less than 10 minutes down the road.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
13  Thank lorrie56
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We stayed at our friends family's time share in August. Let me tell you how awesome it was. Everything you need within a stones throw away. Quiet, clean, beauitiful property and beach to match. Long sandy beach with amazing views. Onsite restuaunt and bar with good food at fair prices. I would recommend this place to everyone. I don't own a time share here, but we liked this place so much that when we return this year we are staying as close to this property as possible. What a wonderfull vacation. Thanks S.O.K.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Polarbear001
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We had another enjoyable stay at the Sands of Kahana. This is our second stay.

There were Kona winds (warm and humid) and it would have been nice to have A/C. I think that SOK should consider updating all of the units with A/C. It would not only help out with temperature and humidity control but would also make the units more quiet for sleeping. In that case it would definitely be a 5 star resort. But we slept with all of the windows open and were occasionally awakened by traffic or other noise. But the overhead fans helped. It would just be nice if they had A/C

The place was clean, and the grounds were nicely groomed. The staff was friendly and professional.

The unit is huge. We had a 3 bedroom "ocean view" and it was great. There were two couples and we had complete privacy.

We splurged and went on a premium helicopter ride with Sunshine Helicopters. Their brochure said that on the 1 hour ride that they would fly over Lahaina and Kaanapali. We were hoping that we could get some pictures of the SOK. But, they skipped that portion of the tour. Their brochure said that they may deviate from the planned route depending upon weather conditions. They reminded me of that when I complained after the flight. But, the weather was clear and the winds were minimal so I didn't understand their comment about weather conditions. So I am puzzled why they skipped that portion of the trip. I think that they just spent too much time flying over the Haleakala crater or were flying too slow and had to cut something out. So the comment about weather conditions was just a standard response. The helicopter people were apologetic and offerred to give us a free video of the flight. It was a nice gesture even though there were technical problems and part of the video was blank.

We enjoyed the $3.99 breakfast special and the 1/2 off early bird dinners at the on-site restaurant. Cheeseburger in Paradise was nice as was Kobe.

We didn't see the on-site cat this time (which we nick-named "Sandy" on our last trip). But other people had seen her and were helping to keep her fed.

I enjoyed a nice and scenic horseback ride at the Mendez ranch. It was a good value and was very memorable. If you enjoy horseback riding, you'll enjoy this place.

We went to the swap meet by the community college in Kahului on Saturday. It was good.

Richard Cook at the front desk was very helpful and very professional.

We find the Sands to be a nice and comfortable timeshare and the staff is caring. We enjoy having a washer and dryer, full kitchen and a nice lanai.

We are looking forward to coming back in two years.....

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family