Sands of Kahana
The Mauian Hotel on Napili Beach(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$343
US$375
US$318
Official Website
  • Beachfront
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$277
US$237
US$424
US$388
  • Beachfront
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$293
US$280
US$458
US$445
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssullivan propertiesocean viewmaster bedroomtimeshare tradethe penthousethree bedroomtennis courtskiddie poolthe trade windstime sharesq ftsquare feethot tubevery morningkoi pondfull kitchensliding door
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 June 2014

It's odd when you come to expect certain things at a property like this. The location is awesome, with a little pool adjacent to the beach. Great snorkeling and beach which is not crowded at all. It seems this property is a bit dated and needs remodeling. Generous sized rooms without AC. Warning here... If the scoters and the loud cars will keep you up ( they worked great for us) you will need to avoids any road view rooms. Building 1 being the worst. Buildings 2 and 3 have better locations. "Little things". This will serve as a great base station for families to explore the island. As there are not many family activities, pool table ping pong etc. " little things" The once a week room cleaning was fair, vacuumed and cleaned a few things in the room. Beware of the cleaning crew they tend to stuff their laundry laden carts in the only elevator with you at times. "Little things".
There has a great pool side restaurant which we wanted to visit some time during our stay when we were on the property. We took advantage of the advertised $5.00 breakfast one morning. The food was good and the servings were off the children's menu. All in all a fair Maui price for "on property food", about what I've paid at the Westin Maui. As I abhor Loss Leaders, we did not visit the restaurant for lunch or dinner. "Little things". This May have been a great escape or romantic vacation (minus the road noise, and smell from the loading dock) but it's not the right fit for families.

Room Tip: Refuse road view building 1. Try for buildings 2,3 or 4. Maybe building 1 on the ocean view is better.
1  Thank Robert S
drenzi, Manager at Sands of Kahana, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for staying at the Sands of Kahana. We are happy our location was awesome, and that you enjoyed snorkeling at the beach. We are glad you found our accommodations spacious, but regret to learn where your experience fell short. We appreciate the feedback you have provided, which will help in ensuring a pleasant experience for all guests.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My family - 3 adults & 2 young kids - just had an amazing 2 weeks here. We (own a 2 bd unit) stayed in b/d #3 (5th fl. ocean view) first week, and in b/d #2 (2nd fl. ocean front) next week. Out of the 4 b/ds, #2&3 are closer to the beach. B/d#2 is a little bit more updated than #3 (or it could be just the 2 rooms only) - tile floor in balcony, upgraded appliances.

We enjoyed the both rooms almost equally. Elevator can be slow at times, so 2nd fl. wasn't bad at all and I can see the ocean while cooking (we cooked often). Ocean 'front' gets too much sun in the afternoon (my younger kid's naptime/our rest time before heading out to swim), and who wants to close the blind when there is a beautiful ocean right outside? The ocean 'view' room had no problem w/room temperature - very comfortable. Ocean 'view' room had plenty of 'ocean' view (can see the next b/d on the side), so I would say not much difference between ocean 'front' and ocean view.

Rooms are HUGE!! My kids loved the maze-like closet; played hide & seek, chased each other in circle whole time! 2nd bedroom is dark, but my kids slept better (we're from the east coast, so first a few days kids woke up too early due to time difference). Kitchen is HUGE. We also used the outdoor BBQ grills several times and loved it!.

Plenty of detergent, soaps, towels (beach towels included), toilet papers, etc in stock. A large convenient store within walking distance. After an early dinner, all my family walked to the store to buy ice pops before heading to the beach and the awesome kiddie pool.

Beach - LOVED IT! Small but never crowded. Water so clean and gorgeous sunset view. Perfect for my kids! After sunset, we went to the kiddie pool - again perfect for my kids (2&4 y/o) and attached to a hot tub (perfect for me and my mom). We used the kiddie pool every night!

My kids loved the coi pond and feeding the fish.
Walking along the beach in the morning and at night (never seen that many starts!) was great!
The onsite restaurant was okay, not impressed.
Staff were all very friendly.

This place is not 'luxury', but it was perfect for my family esp. for my kids. When my kids grow up, our needs and their preference will definitely change, then we may venture out. For us, this place was just 'perfect'!

I would like to see the beach lounge chairs and the balcony furniture replaced. Room furniture is not my style and could be updated along w/blankets, but minor. Couch was large enough for all of us to stretch. A few nights neighbors' noise woke my mom up (from the 2nd bedroom close to the hallway). My husband and I didn't hear a thing from the master bedroom.

1  Thank SJYOONDC
drenzi, Manager at Sands of Kahana, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

We are thrilled you had a wonderful family vacation at the Sands of Kahana. We are happy you enjoyed our condo-style accommodations. Watching the ocean while cooking sounds like an awesome experience. We are glad you loved the beach and our outdoor BBQ grills. We appreciate your compliments about our staff, along with the feedback you have provided. We hope you will consider returning soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We used a time share trade for Sands of Kahana, and traded a fabulous brand new unit at a resort with tons of amenities, activities and AIR CONDITIONING, and we landed here. I'm not feeling like we got a fair trade. I'm writing this review from our unit, on May 26, 2014. Here's my take on the good, the bad and the ugly:

Good:
* The location is great. We've been to Hawaii many times, and love the west side of Maui. This is a GREAT spot, and it is beach front, so you can walk right out to the ocean for a stroll or swim. The beach here is small, but nice. It's close to Kaanapali beach, which is one of our favorites. We can drive over there in a few minutes. Location is the primary reason we accepted the trade, as we love everything about this area. The staff has very friendly. The rooms are incredibly spacious. We are a family of 6, and we traded for a 3 bedroom. It is HUGE. We have tons of space to spread out, and everyone has a bed. But, the room location stinks (in more ways than one). I'll save that for the ugly.

Bad:
Everything here needs some updating. The rooms, the check in area, the pool, etc. The pool is definitely not going to wow you. For as many units as there are here, this pool is WAY too small. Not impressed. I guess I can say at least it's heated. Nothing much else to say.
Activities: We're accustomed to pool tables, ping pong, and things we can do ON SITE with the kids. There's nothing like that here. In fact, there isn't much that really tempts me to stay on property.

UGLY: I'm really shocked that the units do not have air conditioning. For almost $500/night, or in our case a VERY nice trade, I would expect A/C. But, ok....I can open my windows and turn on the ceiling fans. I can roll with that. Well, that's where the specific unit becomes an issue. I really expected an REAL ocean view. We pretty much have a view of another building, the parking lot, a NOISY street, and the smelly loading dock. When we checked in, I asked for a different unit. We were told the manager would call us back and probably switch us the next day. But, when the manager called back, she was unable to accommodate our move.

Without A/C, we're forced to leave all windows open....well, all but the one that does NOT have a screen. When the trucks come in and out of the loading dock to pick up dirty laundry, etc, the odor wafts into our 3rd bedroom. Smells of dirty laundry and truck fumes fill the room. I was honestly wondering if my kids were getting poisoned by chemicals and fumes. Had to close up the windows in that room, but it still smelled bad for hours.

If you're coming to relax and rest, this particular unit is definitely not going to provide that. I was awakened at least 10 times last night by road noise. Closing the windows is NOT an option, so we hear everything happening at night. There are trucks, motorcycles, and scooters, blazing by all night long, and it's REALLY loud. My personal favorite was the 1/4 mile burnout some idiot was doing at 3am. Yeah, that was great. I'm not getting any sleep at this Hawaiian destination, that's for sure!

Overall, I'm rating this location as a 2 star. Maybe that's a little low. But, the reason is that it doesn't matter how beautiful a place is, if you're not able to relax on vacation, then you've seriously missed the mark. If the purpose has been to relax and get away from all the "noise" in life, then so far this trip has not accomplished that.

Room Tip: Ask for ANY room that is OFF the road!! We were in unit 131. Little view and LOTS of noise.
5  Thank Robert S
drenzi, Manager at Sands of Kahana, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for exchanging into the Sands of Kahana. We are disappointed we did not meet your expectations, even though our convenient location and spacious three-bedroom suite earned your compliments. We are committed to the highest standards of quality and comfort, and regret this was not your experience. Please accept our apology for the environmental issues that prevented you from fully enjoying your stay. We hope you will give us another opportunity sometime in the future to make a more positive impression.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed here for a week as an RCI exchange from the UK in May 2014. Location is good, nice quiet residential resort towards the upmarket end of west Maui. The resort has its own almost private golden sandy beach which is excellent and a real luxury to not have to drive to a beach, fighting for a parking space, hauling your gear around. There is a pool, hot tub and restaurant on site. Lahania is about 10 miles away, and the main airport 45 minutes. That suited us as we found Lahania to be a real disappointment – lots of high end shops, hot, crowded and over commercialised but not a lot else, so we visited once and then never went back. There is a really good supermarket “Time” & all week farmers market about 10 minutes away from the resort and real ale brewery, Maui brewing, and other pubs/pizza places across the road.

As others have said, the staff are really nice and helpful, and Susanna the assistant manager was wonderful when we had a problem with our original unit. This is a large resort, nearly 200 units, and the resort team manage most of them, but some are in private ownership as condos. The resort consists of 4 blocks of 8/9 floor high rise blocks set around nice landscape gardens and the pool and the stunning beach. Some of the units have ocean views, some are ocean facing (very important difference – these are the best ) and some are garden views (i.e. Garden/road/car park ). Get the largest and best position you can afford – high floor ocean facing in blocks 2&3 are really worth the extra money.

We had a 3 bed top floor 2 level unit on level 6 – called a penthouse, in block 3 with a good close view of the ocean, and the unit was truly huge – I suspect designed for living in as a condo rather than a holiday let. We had 3 huge bedrooms, 3 full big bathrooms, 3 double walk in showers, full kitchen, walk in closets, great free wi if and lots of ceiling fans. Beds were comfortable and the kitchen well stocked with working appliances, and washer drier combo with free detergent. Bedding and linens were basic, but clean and lots of them, including lots of towels for pool which we liked. The unit was spotlessly clean and tidy, small problems were dealt with immediately and the whole place seemed really well run.

However as others have said, it is dated with no air con which is the only major faults we could find. I suspect it was very luxurious in the 80s, however now it needs a facelift. The interior is top 3 star quality BUT there is no air con – being from the UK we did not see this as a problem initially, but it was really hot (95 degrees day time) – especially at night and we did really struggle to sleep. As we had a top floor room we had a lot of roof glass as that acted as a greenhouse and as we got the sun for most of the day – it got super hot, even with the fans on and doors open – unfortunately the window blinds are old and don't always close so it also gets very light as soon as the sun comes up. For this reason we would think carefully about re booking.

Overall this was a good ( but hot!) stay, not deluxe but comfortable in a great location (which drives the gold crown status ) moments from an uncrowned stunning beach and we really enjoyed it – accommodation space on Maui is at a real premium/ very expensive and our 3 bed allowed us to relax and chill out. It's not luxury or a Hilton or a mega new resort but comfortable and relaxing in a nice quiet neighbourhood – and directly on the beach.

Room Tip: High room, ocean facing not ocean view are best in blocks 2 and 3
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank vicki1812

Thank you for exchanging into the Sands of Kahana. We are happy our location and proximity to the beach were a convenience. The information you have shared about the surrounding area will be helpful for those who are planning a stay. We are delighted our staff was nice and helpful, and that you found our accommodations spacious, featuring a stunning ocean view. We appreciate the feedback you have provided and will be looking further into your concerns. We hope you will consider returning soon!

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Fantastic location, great views of the beach, ocean and other islands. This was our first visit to Maui, and we plan on going back next year! There was also a great workout area, very convenient with up-to-date workout gear. Mahalo Sands of Kahana staff!!!

Room Tip: Book early.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MTV38H

Thank you for staying at Sands of Kahana. We are happy you found our location fantastic, featuring great ocean views. We appreciate you kind remarks about our workout facility and staff. We hope to see you next year!