“Bought into SOK since 1997”
Review of Sands of Kahana

Sands of Kahana
Reviewed 8 December 2008

We bought into SOK as a timeshare property in 96/97. We have been coming every other year for two weeks...which made this trip our sixth time since then.

Generally speaking, we like it here. It really does depend on when you come out and exactly "who" you get as your building's "neighbors". The four buildings here are each shaped like open-air donuts---so sound travels all the way up...and all the way down them. Needless to say, if you have oblivious and/or rude neighbors who treat the walkways inbetween each unit or floor like their basement...you'll be hearing lots of noise outside your door. Then when you are out on the lanai (porch), you can hear everything being said from the neighbors who are out on their lanais...above you, below you, to your right, and to your left. To resolve this potential problem, you may consider yelling out to no one in particular "GET ME THE PHONE HONEY. I FORGOT TO CALL MY PAROLE OFFICER TODAY!"

We've never had problems with bugs or cleanliness issues in the units we've had in the past (two bedroom)....but I have noticed this time that the carpeting is different (used to be turquoise plush..now it's indoor/outdoor beige)..the lamps are chipped at the bases here and there...there are some cracks in the tiles.... Thank goodness no roaches in the dishwasher like the other people experienced! I'd die!

The desk supervisor gave me a hard time initially about the unit type we were to receive. We paid for ocean view back in '97...he said we must take a "garden view" every so often because...? My husband is checking our deed when we return to see what the heck that was all about. We did get our ocean view...but I was extremely offended by this guy who didn't listen to me---but listened to my husband just fine (?) I chalked it up to his being a relatively "new" hire (two years)...and preferring my husband over me. (Go figure!) LOL!

In any event, with 12 years of experience to go by---I would definitely recommed the Sands of Kahana to anyone coming to Maui for vacation....so long as you know how to behave in public and don't have any screaming babies or children in tow. Mary who loves Maui...

Stayed: November 2008
3  Thank MaryinMI

Reviewed 29 October 2008

This is a great place to stay if.......

1. You like ants, I mean REALLY like ants, because they are everywhere. Be sure to bring lots of ziplocks for ALL food not being kept in the refridgerator. Be sure to also check your towels and sheets, they like to hang out there too!

2. Construction noise does not bother you. 6am every morning they where doing something to the buildings.

3. You like hiking. We were up above the 5th floor, and with one elevator, you better like climbing.

4. The condition of the rooms don't bother you. Tile was falling off the walls in the bathroom, walls re-plastered but not painted, broken lamps, lightbulbs out, dishwasher rusted panel falling off, all faucets corroded.

5. You are a plumber. Every other time someone had to go #2, we had to use a plunger...... They did have one by each toilet, how convenient!

6. If you are a deep sleeper. The folding doors (that separate the master bedroom from the family room) bang all night from the breeze. The ceiling fan does not have a "high" option (or it just does not work) so we had to have the arcadia doors open for some relief from the heat (no a/c). Being on the beach side, the wind does not have a high/low option.

7. If you love birds! We had three fly in our family room, again because no a/c we had to have the windows open for circulation. There are no screens on the windows in the family room. We had lots of fun chasing the birds out, and cleaning what they left behind (yuck)

8. If you do not like to snorkel, boogie board, or swim in the ocean. The placement of the hotel has its beach at an open area where the waves pound, so the sand is moved around creating no visibility if you want to see anything. However, it is not strong enough for boogie boards. Swimming is OK if you go out REAL far, and are a great swimmer (you don't want to swim near shore, the sand pounds you) I would not allow my kids to go out as far needed to swim. We ended up driving every day to Napili to use their beach.

9. You do not mind watching a 19 inch television. Our tv was so small in the family room, my 76 year old grandma could not even see Iron Man!

Other than the above, we had a great time in Maui (whenever we went exploring the island)

The staff was friendly, tried to help however they could. We do not blame them at all for any of the above, they cannot control what we had problems with. Only the owners of the property can make those changes.

I would recommend giving this place a pass.... no matter what kind of deals they may be giving. There are so many other options. This is supposed to be vacation time, not a stressful time. Give the owners time to upgrade!

Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank 2nay
Reviewed 28 October 2008

Stayed here on our honeymoon in October. I had stayed here before with my parents and had a pleasant experience. I thought this time would be the same. And my parents had just got back from a stay here in July and had a great room with a great view. We checked in on a Sunday afternoon and when we checked in they told us they were going to upgrade us to a different room because as the girl flat at out told us, we had one of the worst rooms. They said they would call first thing in the morning. The room itself was fine. Clean, full kitchen, washer and dryer, nice tv, and a king size bed. The view on the other hand was of the parking lot and maintence shed. The other wonderful thing about our stay there was when they were doing construction on the building we were in (building 1 room 114). We decided we could handel it for the night. Well the bedrooms are in a weird place in the rooms and you have to have the windows open because there is no AC and it is super noisy on the first floor. The cleaning people and maintence people are up and being loud at 5 am. We waited for a call and never got one so we checked at the front desk. The guy was rude and said the manager wasn't in yet and they would call us when he got in. He never called. We called down to the front desk several times and the manager was always conveniently out to lunch. The run around was very annoying. The noise was awful and we felt like everyone in the hotel was staying in our room with us because it just lacked privacy and every noise from the hall echoed into the room. It's a good thing we were on Maui so we didn't want to be in the room much. The best things I can say about this place is that the activities lady was nice, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable, cable was good, and if you get a bigger room - a three bedroom- the views are outstanding. I wouldn't want to come back here. My husband and I did have a fun time coming up with some good names for the place though (the best was "Sands that Crap On Ya")

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2008

We have just returned form our 8-day stay at the Sands of Kahana. A friend of ours has a time-share we rented, we stood in bldg.4 the penthouse ocean-view suite we had such a beautiful view from our lanai. This was a family trip there were 5 adults and 1 child we had plenty of room we had a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom very spacious condo...very clean all the staff were very friendly. Take advantage of the S.O.K. daily activities like lei and bracelet making, icecream social and bbq lots of fun. The kitchen was great has everything you need all untensils, dishware, nice bbq's very clean and convenient, shop at the Safeway at Lahaina for groceries and take advantage of there club card will save you plenty of $$. There is a farmers market just down the way with the freshest produce and fruit. There is a convenient store across the street and a McDonalds, Outback steak house and Roys Restaurant within walking distance. Try happy hour at the S.O.K. MAI -TAIS and PINA COLADAS, LAVA FLOWS are a great price...along with appetizers. There are two pools,one for the children which was great and a deeper pool with a hot tub which was really nice.. We played Tennis, and borrowed rackets from S.O.K. We had a great time. We went to the Royal Hawaiian Luau, I booked tickets thru Expedia about 2 Mths before our trip we had front row seating the luau was fantastic contrary to all the comments I read the food was great the drinks maybe a little-watered down the show was fantastic the fire-show was outstanding. The beach in front of S.O.K. is really calm easy to swim in, nice walking along the shore early in the morning. Don't miss Dt Fleming Beach just about 10 minutes away the best for snorkeling. We all had a wonderful vacation at the Sands Of Kahana it is a great place to stay. We cannot wait to go back again. We would definately recomm
end the S.O. K. You will not be disappointed....

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank jtandpooh
Reviewed 20 August 2008

Our family of two boys and two girls spent a week at the Sands of Kahana. Highly recommend #256 if you can get it. It is huge! 2700 sq feet counting the balconies. Its really two master suites. We loved it because of the size. Other amenities are typical. Has a restaurant, work out room, etc. Played golf at Kannapali Kai (kids are only $10) and at Kahili (less wind at Kahili, kids play FREE) . I recommend Kahili.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank katboy
Reviewed 21 June 2008

I stayed at SOK last week with my family and had a blast. We stayed in room #336, building 4. It was a 2 bedroom ocean view and we loved how our condo was situated and our view was pretty amazing. I think we spent half our vacation out on the lanai watching sunsets!
We love the location because it's so close to our favorite beach at Kapalua and close enough to black rock at Kaanapali. The SOK is great because there are always a lot of families and kids everywhere, but it's also a great place for kidless couples. My husband and I spent our honeymoon there because we wanted the condo route and have no regrets.
My only complaint that I hope gets taken care of soon by management or the owners is that our unit was pretty dated and dirty. It seemed like our unit had not been cleaned or used in a very long time. The floors were so dirty that our feet were almost black from walking around the condo. It obviously wasn't a big enough deal for us to want to switch rooms because the view and the sounds of crashing waves made up for the dirt.
Overall SOK is a great place and I recommend it to anyone visiting Maui.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank CAmommaluvs2travel
Reviewed 15 June 2008

My husband , two children (ages 7 and 9) and I stayed at SOK in February. Our friends own a timeshare there so they invited us to stay with them on Maui. They also have two children. We had a three bedroom/two bath condo with an ocean view.

Our stay was amazing. I couldn't believe how much room there was in this place. It was huge. There was more than enough room for 8 of us. My husband and I had a king bed. The four kids were in a bedroom with two queen beds. The other bedroom also had a king bed. And if that wasn't enough, there was also a pullout couch. With two baths, no one had to fight for bathroom time. The kitchen was also big and everything was provided. There were two balconies as well.

The views were gorgeous. We saw whales all the time. Lanai and Molokai were right in front of us. Lahaina was just a few minutes away. Great choices for dining there. We didn't eat at the SOK restaurant, but our friends have in the past. They said it was good.

The beach was fine, a little windy. The kids spent some time in the pool. They seemed to like it, but I probably wouldn't spend too much time there, being an adult.

Don't hesitate to stay at SOK!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family