“Great Vacation”

Sands of Kahana
Walla Walla, WA
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Stayed at the Sands of the Kahana from 10/31 - 11/7/09... It was very nice, clean rooms with all ammenities!!! The only bad thing about the room was the balcony, the pigeons rapped all over the ground and the balcony furniture. We were unable to enjoy the view from here!! All in all, great place to stay, this was our third time in a year and half staying here!! Very convenient location to all the great places on West Maui!! Definately would recommend!! Great lava flow drinks in the bar during Happy Hour!! Cannot wait to go back!!!
IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO VACATION AT THIS RESORT!! CHECK EBAY (MAUI VACATIONS) FOR A GREAT RATE!! BOOKED ALL THREE VACATIONS WITH THE SANDS OF THE KAHANA THROUGH THEM!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Michigan
Reviewed 9 October 2009

This was probably our best vacation ever! The Sands of Kahana is a beautiful resort located in an ideal location, close to many attractions. On the first day, we had an orientation presented by an Expedia Expert. She gave a brief explanation of the island of Maui, including terrain, legends, & highlights. Then she told us about many activities that were available. They offered discounts on the trips and activities, but no pressure. They had a drawing and we won a BOGO trip to Hana, which was awesome! We were interested in snorkeling, and they told us about all the best areas to go on our own - they weren't just there to sell trips. The resort offered many activities for adults and children. Our favorites were the guided nature tour of the gardens, the burgers & fixings get together, and the ice cream social. They also had an area at the club house where people could borrow boogie boards, lawn chairs, coolers, books, movies, sand toys, etc. all for free and on the honor system. The pool was beautiful, always clean and warm. They had a poolside restaurant. We stayed for two weeks, but had 1 day between the 2 weeks that we had to go somewhere else. The only negative is that they would not offer us a good rate for the one day, but on the positive side we left our electric toothbrush and they were able to find it and we got it back when we returned. We also left a straw hat, but that never showed up. The unit was immaculate and supplies were great. Our first week we were on the end near the maintenance guys and we found that to be a very noisy location. We were pleased to get a better room the second week. Both times we had a decent ocean view. They also had spotlessly clean grills with granite counters available for our use and always open. We could see sea turtles every morning down by the rocks in front of our resort.

2 Thank derfmanMichigan
MONEYMURF
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Service as great at the on-site located restaurant & bar. Room was clean and roomy. Location is a little bit out of the way for Lahaina but very close Kaanapali (upper West side of island). It was a great getaway.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 8 October 2009

First of all I need to start out by saying this review could have been very different if we had stayed in the room we were originally assigned. Room 416 was in the 4th building on the1st floor. It had a view of the back of the restaraunt and grass area.
Upon check-in I asked the clerk if we had an ocean view room and he said the ocean views were for the owners only and that there were certain rooms assigned to interval World. I told him that we had traveled over 5000 miles and that this was our first trip to Hawaii. I told him that this was not a Getaway vacation but that it was in fact my owners week in my Gold Crown resort and that I had deposited with Interval and that the only reason I was at the Sands was because an owner had deposited their week so therefore I felt we should get the owners unit that deposited with interval. He didnt know how to respond. At that point the manager Gremalyn Puon came over, apparently she heard the conversation I was having with the clerk. She told me that she was putting us in an ocean view room. I can only say thank you to Gremalyn as what could have been an o.k. vacation turned into an excellent one!
The room was great. It was huge with plenty of space for six people to spread out and the view was awesome!
The beach was beautiful, soft brown sand to sink into, and great for a swim. Alot of people snorkeled but we went a few miles away to Black Beach, We even got to swim with a large sea turtle, very cool.
The restaraunt food was good and fairly reasonable. They had happy hour from 3-5 with cheap drinks and snacks. We thought the drinks were a little weak, you could always drink the beer.
The pools and jacuzzi were very clean and there were always lounge chairs at both the pool and beach front. ( Not directly on the beach) It could get a little crowded in the afternoons.
I also wanted to mention that the rooms had all the linen you could want for 6 people including large beach towels. The rooms also had a washer and dryer that came in very handy and the resort supplied all the soap for laundry, dishwasher, sink and bathroom lotions and shampoos, very nice. They also had sugar, salt, pepper etc. I had never had a resort supply so much. It was great.
While were were there we scheduled several excursions including the Road to Hana and Sunrise at Haneakela Volcano. I need to say right off if you dont like heights, you wont like these trips. The roads were dangerous, very curvey and sometimes had no guard rails. Very scary! The other thing I shoud mention is that it is very beautiful with waterfalls, black sand beachs and lava formations at the national park at the end.
A few of the other excursions we should mention was the Sunset cruise on the Gemini- great crew, good times!!!!
We also went to the Old Lahaina Luau and the Atlantis Submarine, both were excellent and worth the money.
In the end we felt like this was one of the best vacations we had ever taken. The resort was perfect for us, very relaxed and comfortable, Maui has some of the most beautiful beaches and mountains you will ever see and the Hawaii people are warm and generous. We loved it, Mahalo!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank bpsmith47
las vegas
Reviewed 28 September 2009

My family and I stayed here this last summer and had an amazing time. The rooms came complete with full kitchen and the lobby was a relaxing place to unwind before and after we got back from our adventures. Overall great stay will probably stay there again next year.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Pluses:
the staff really did a good job of keeping the place very clean.
The complex is located right ON the ocean. We could hear the waves throughout the night. The view was beautiful.
We saw the "green flash" at sunset along with lots of other people watching the sun go down
The staff was friendly and helpful
The room (3406) was great - - 3 br 2 bath ocean front corner. Very roomy (1700 square feet and 2 lanai's)
Easy parking
Convenient location
Quiet
Nice pool, nice spa, convenient and reasonably priced restaurant on site.

Minuses: the activities concierge made us wait for about 5 minutes while she took a personal (chatty) call.

So-so issues - Internet isn't free (but you can use attwifi at McD's a block away). No A/C (but the fans and the tradewinds did an okay job).

The place isn't overly fancy (like a Grand Hyatt or some of the glitzier places on Kaanapali) but it is very comfortable and nice.

2 Thank BJRSanDiego
California
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Like I said, it was my first time on Maui and I'm already looking forward to my next trip. It was just the two of us staying in a huge 2 BDRM room so the room looked huge. The two bedrooms were at opposite ends of the room with the master bedroom having the view of Lanai from the 7th floor of building #4. This was an excellent thing for me personally because I don't like my room facing the east to get hit with the sunrise when I'm not ready to wake up. In addition to Lanai, it's very easy to see Molokai from the beach off of SOK.

The full kitchen was fantastic having every appliance you could need for your stay. Microwave, refrigerator with ice maker, cook-top, oven, blender, toaster, etc. The washer and dryer allow for light packing of casual wear. The resort is located just a short drive away from the Safeway to get all your groceries for your stay. It's also walking distance from Boss Frog's for renting snorkel gear and beach accessories (including chairs), Whaler's General Store for $1 DVD rentals and other items, McDonald's, a bank and two restaurants.

The grounds are very beautiful and yes that does mean noise from landscaping equipment. I can specifically recall two days where I heard crews working to maintain the beautiful plants, trees, flowers and grass. It's a small price to pay to be able to sit back and appreciate the beauty surrounding you.

The restaurant and pool side bar were nice. Happy hour is from 3pm to 5pm everyday. Thanks for all the good Lava Flows and Mai Tai's Larry.

There is no air conditioning but we left the balcony door and window open the whole time and let the ocean breeze and ceiling fans keep us cool and comfortable enough to relax and sleep.

We had a great time at SOK and we will be back.

4 Thank ChrisW71