“Paraside for newlyweds.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Paraside for newlyweds.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

I was very pleased with my stay at Royal Lahaina. We arrived very late to resort but were able to make us feel very welcomed by a very friendly front desk assistance, Lovely. I stayed for 10 nights in beautiful clean rooms, with an excellent semi-ocean view room. If there was ever an issue with housekeeping, Cora assured that the issue was addressed promptly. Our shower seemed to leak onto the floor, but they always made sure there were extra towels. My family were staying the cabins and it was nice to have a larger living space. My husband and I preferred staying at our own resort, on the beach eating a picnic underneath the shade a large tree or umbrella, or by the pool in a cabana, or renting snorkel gear and swimming with sea turtles just North of the resort by the coral reef. The activities guy, Casey, was extremely helpful, and made the trip that much better with surfing lessions and awesome sunglasses (Maui Jims), Paraside for newlyweds. My package also included the Luau (which was incredible!) and a sunset cruise (perfect!). The location was great: walking distance from Whaler's Village and Ka'anapali, easy driving distance to the rest of La'Haina. I loved the nightly entertainment at the restaurant and the private hottub. I cannot wait to go back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (939)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

We just returned from Maui and had a marvelous time at this hotel. The grounds are immaculate and the staff were very kind. We stayed in one of the oceanfront cottage suites are although they have not been renovated like the tower rooms, they were very comfortable and clean- perfect for a family with young children who can run around the lawns directly in front of the rooms. AND you can't beat the amazing ocean views. You are literally steps from an incredible beach, where we found some of the best snorkeling just down the beach from the hotel.

We had some friends visit us from their resort in Kihei, and they were so impressed that they are considering staying here during their next visit. Our stay was memorable and a great introduction to Maui. We will be back!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KoryStrona, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Great review, thank you very much! Glad to hear you enjoyed the amazing ocean views, and beautiful grounds here at the Royal Lahaina. Mahalo!
St. Peters
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

We booked a package at this hotel for a week in September 2011 through Costco. This hotel was even better than we expected! I loved the Hawaiian feel of the hotel. We stayed in a tower room and the renovations were very impressive. The food at the breakfast buffet was awesome, we did that every morning as part of our package. The food at the hotel restaurant was great,too! Everything was perfect, I really don't have a bad thing to say! We would definitely stay here again. Have the hotel concierge make dinner reservations for you if you are dining off property, we got great seating when we did that. Housekeeping was super efficient and extremely friendly. Loved our stay here!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suzq595
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

I was terrified to stay at the Royal Lahaina. I wanted to stay in a "hawaiian" hotel instead of a big chain and let my travel agent convince me to stay at the Royal Lahaina before I did all my research. I read review after review for a month, most of them terrible and finally made myself stop reading. I have good news - there was no reason to be terrified. But that doesn't mean I would stay there again. I am fairly low maintenance with hotels on vacation since I rarely stay in the room. If you get a good deal here, it's probably worth it but do not pay top dollar for this resort when there are so many good ones in the area.

Pros:
- The grounds are very pretty. Great location, great beach, great sunset views.
- The valets and bell hops are very nice and helpful.
- I enjoyed the pineapple flavored water and cooling down towels they keep in the lobby.
- The tower rooms were very nice, I enjoyed the balcony and the minimalist look.
- We didn't mind the parking and the price. There are bigger spots in the back of the lot that requires you to walk about 100 feet more, which I guess is why people were complaining. We're also from NYC where you have to walk alot.
- The champagne for our anniversary was a very nice gesture.

Cons:
- The receptionists were nice enough, but sleazy. I don't know if they do it on their own or if they are trained that way. We had booked the anniversary special when we booked our room and I called the week before we left to confirm (spoke to their corporate office, which was great). Their office confirmed that I had a room on a top floor in the tower with a garden view. They told me if available, they would upgrade me upon arrival to a partial ocean view. When we checked in the receptionist told us that she had no more partial ocean views and for $100 a night she could upgrade me to an ocean view room. I declined. She then said that she would give me the great deal of $50 a night. I declined. And then, magically, a partial ocean view room happened to open up. How convenient is that?
- Trying to charge you for a late check out and missing key and towel cards? Come on.
- Maid service was AWFUL. I always tip the maid a lot in hotels but ours was super lazy. We had the same lipstick stained wine glasses in our room night after night, no matter how many times I left them in the sink to be replaced. She didn't clean anything or replace the cosmetic products. I found stained sheets on our 2nd night and had to get someone to change them. You're a resort, step it up.
- It's impossible to shower without the water leaking everywhere. When they built the new fancy showers, they left 2 cracks in the door that water shoots from all over the floor and bathroom.
- Last - I was very suprised to learn that there was no gym. I didn't even think to ask about it in this day and age. Every hotel has at least a couple of barbells and a treadmill for their guests. Nothing doing here. When I asked about it, they told us we could join the neighborhood gym for the low rate of $55 per week. Ha. I know some people don't like to work out in Hawaii but some of us do and this was the first place I've encountered without gym access.

So all in all, the Royal Lahaina did not ruin our time :) We had a great time in Maui and the hotel was a non factor.

Room Tip: I liked the tower a lot. I didn't want to risk a cottage with my boyfriend's allergies. Th...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank hls417
Thank you for the review. We apologize for the mix-up with the receptionists as well as our corporate office regarding the room upgrade and availability. Our garden view rooms are located on the third and fourth floors only and it is our policy to honor complimentary upgrades when available and offer discounted room upgrades upon check-in to all of our guests. We are also sorry for the missing towels, amenities, and unclean glasses during your daily housekeeping service. That is definitely not up to our cleaning standards and has been addressed with the managers. Please also note that when available, we do offer a complimentary late check-out at 1pm, or a later check-out for a fee, (standard check-out time is 12noon). In our efforts to provide beach and pool towels as a complimentary service, we simply ask our guests to help with our controls by returning their towel card which everyone receives upon check-in. This helps us to reduce energy use, and prevent loss/theft. Regarding the gym; until we finalize plans for building our own gym, we have partnered with Valley Isle Fitness to offer our guests a special discount of $20/day for full access to their entire facility which is just a short walk from the resort. We truly appreciate the feedback and we hope you enjoyed your stay with us and your visit to our beautiful island. Mahalo nui!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

Overall a great hotel experience. I had hoped for a few more amenities to be included, such as beach chairs, snorkel equipment, etc, but that was all for an additional daily or weekly fee. Great location, close to wonderful snorkeling. Beautiful setting. Great live music nightly at the ocean view bar.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the lower levels - 5, 6 etc that are Partial Ocean View or Garden View will likely h...
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

We were told The Royal Lahaina Resort was remodeled a few years ago. Good job, people! Our room proved superior to our expectations. Decorated in a contemporary style with island touches - lots of deep rich wood contrasted with light colored walls, flat panel TV, brushed nickel fixtures and granite bathroom countertop, and best-night's-sleep-ever bed and fluffy, yummy pillows all covered with zillion thread count white sheets. We had mountain, golf course and ocean views from our 10th floor room. The location is more north and away from the always mobbed main area of Kaanapali. Walking on the beach in front of the hotel, we passed just a few people - not the crowds found around Whaler's Village. The restaurant is small but adequate. The food was very good and prices reasonable, for a resort hotel on Maui. The bartenders are skilled Mai Tai makers - 1/2 price during happy hour.

Room Tip: The parking lot is tight - watch the bumpers on the rental car. Some lower floor north facing rooms...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sue V
Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

Check in was seamless - we actually got our room(s) hours before the actual check in time. We were offered an upgrade to the Ocean View Suite for $100 day. We decided to pass and enjoy our semi ocean view room; you are not in your room in HI that much anyways. Room was very clean, beds were far more comfortable than most. The maid service was outstanding! I have never stayed in a Hotel where it was cleaned so well while occupied. Lunch at the restaurant was meidocre, but not bad. Really, for the price better than most. We really enjoyed the Luau and the grounds were sweet! Once again, people traveling to Hawaii need to know that no matter where they go; you are going to pay to park! We celebrated our 30th anniversary here with friends. Thank you for a great time. Hope to come back someday.

Room Tip: You want a semi ocean view at least - don't even bother with ocean view unless you plan on being...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple