“Great minimalist Beach Hotel”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
San Francisco, California
“Great minimalist Beach Hotel”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We stayed in an partial ocean view in the tower. Not sure why people complained about it not being 360, along with the deck w. chairs we could sit out there and take everything in. Plenty enough for us and a beautiful view. We were offered the "free upgrade" to the cottages, but liked the idea of being in the tower instead.

To set a couple of other records straight: 1) The luau (which we attended and was lots of fun) ends at 8pm, so unless you're sleeping that early, the noise shouldn't bother you. 2) If you happen to park in the back parking lot, it isn't that bad of a walk. If you've got groceries, I suggest you drop someone and your goodies off at the lobby before parking.

Royal Lahaina has the basics. Two pools, a giant shuffle board (which the bf and I had fun with), and literally "backyard" beach access for kaanapali. We rented a boogie board which was apparently a lot of fun (waves were BIG during our trip, didn't do it. Didn't want a wardrobe malfunction, ladies you know what I mean)

We spent a lot of time at the ocean terrace, which is the bar that's by the pool. Let me give a shot out to Marc, who stood out to as a really cool bar tender during our visit.

Random, but we liked the extra touch of changing the mats in the elevator for each day of the week. Very quirky.

Beautiful minimal beach hotel. I would totally stay here again the next time I'm in Maui.

Room Tip: stay in the beach tower for a great partial/full view of the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank idreamstarr
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, 29 January 2013
Aloha. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I think you have explained several aspects of our resort very well for others who are considering a stay here. I will be sure to pass along your comments to Marc. We look forward to welcoming you back. Mahalo!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Calgary
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

I liked the location! I prefer Wailea but this second. I liked the beach and the bar. Bartenders were great and the location of the bar. Bar food was fine there. Our room was small but the ocean view was nice. Don't listen to someone else's advice on requesting a corner room. It is not the Sheraton and there is no gym. My husband liked that it is quieter here. We will return as we liked it here. The location is great!

• Stayed January 2013
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Mahalo for your kind review! Yes, when it comes to the Bar and the Beach the Royal Lahaina Resort can't be beat! Besides the yummy beverages that are being served, guests are currently being treated to the incredible winter Humpback Whale activity that takes place just off of the West Maui shoreline. We look forward to your return. Aloha.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 27 January 2013 via mobile

Stayed last week and simply put had an awesome experience. Not sure why this hotel is rated so low, but I'm fine with that to keep the prices low :-). Would stay here again next week if I could. Great staff, excellent rooms - really feels Hawaiin. Grounds are very well kept, pool bar is great and makes excellent $6 Mai Tais for happy hour. Pools are small but with the resort being right on a great beach who needs a pool.

Resort located right in the middle between Whalers Village to the south and Dukes Beachhouse to the North. Great dining options in both directions within walking distance. Stayed in room 8021 - loved it. Parking isn't as bad as people say and if you're really concerned than just pay the extra $5 a day for valet. We had a red eye back and they even offered us a hospitality room to use for an hour before we had to leave to take a shower before leaving for the airport.

Absolutely zero complaints. Best value around on Ka' beach.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bstemm01
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, 6 February 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review! Very happy to learn that you were pleased with all aspects of your stay and the value offered at our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Aloha!
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I booked a room here with my bf and a friend during Halloween. I was really expecting a more upscale experience. I was a little disappointed. First off they charged $20 extra for a third person the stay even though the bungalow we stayed in had 2 beds. Then they charged $10 for the extra car. They weren't that busy so there was no need to worry about parking dilemmas. The room was in a good spot right Near the beach so it was a short few steps to the water. Only problem was we could see the whole pool so when we were on the patio we didn't have privacy. The room also has a real bad musty smell. I believe this was from the ac unit. The room was dated and needed a remodel. Since we didn't pay an absorbant amount I didn't feel that terrible about the whole stay. We weren't there that long so it wasn't a deal breaker. Don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kristie P
Aloha. Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. Sorry that you we did not meet all of your expectations. Our room rates are based upon two adults sharing a room (children 17 and under stay free with paying adults). On Maui most hotels do have an additional person charge, if more than two adults are staying in a room. We charge $35 per night for additional adults. As you note, we do also have a $10 per car per day parking charge. I will ask that our Engineering Dept. look into the A/C unit that you mention. Mahalo.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Beautiful stretch of calming beach (perfect to read a book)
The rooms are cute and cozy! Everything is nearby and it's convenient to get around, The staff is super helpful and go out of their way to lend a hand. Food is great! The Luau was phenomenal!

The Royal Lahaina is the place to be in Kaanapali :)

Room Tip: Must be with an Ocean view:)
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Mahalo! We hope we can welcome you back in the future!
Reviewed 25 January 2013 via mobile

This hotel is great value. The rooms are a great size very comfortable and most importantly very clean. We stayed in the tower on the 3rd floor, which meant that the views were not fantastic but it really didn't matter as we spent all day every day out on the beach with fabulous views! The pool area is quite small and there is very little shade and no umbrellas. You can rent out sun lounges with some cover but really not worth the $35 . The rooms were exceptionally clean and very spacious. The air conditioning was very good. The beds were fine except for the quilt that was put under the sheet on top of the mattress . I prefer my quilt on top of me rather than underneath me, I found it quite uncomfortable .
We were traveling with our 4 children ages 21, 17, 10, and 7 and everybody was comfortable and had a comfortable stay. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Mahalo! We are happy that you found the Royal Lahaina to offer great value for your vacation. Aloha.
plano, tx
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I booked the hotel as part of a vacation package thru American Airlines. We originally booked an ocean view room, but at check in were offered an opportunity to upgrade to an ocean view room at half off the going rate. The front desk staff person was really great to work with and we so enjoyed sitting on our lanai each day with a direct view of Kaanapali Beach and the islands of Lanai and Molokai. The room was comfortable and everything in good working order. Someone mentioned feeling trapped because there were not enough places to eat near by. I would disagree as a quick walk thru the golf course to Whalers Village (maybe 15 minutes) and you had some great restaurants to choose from. And in less than 5 minutes just past the luau area was a great restaurant called the Castaway Cafe. It helps to have a map to know what is around the property...

Room Tip: It's expensive to upgrade to an ocean front room, but I thought it was money well spent adding t...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
RLR_SAGER, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, 25 January 2013
Mahalo for the positive feedback and thank you for your advice to others regarding nearby restaurants and activities. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Aloha.