“Nice place as long as you are not in the outdated cottages or room 5002”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Thornton, Colorado
“Nice place as long as you are not in the outdated cottages or room 5002”
Reviewed 19 June 2010

My husband and I extended our stay in Maui and booked just two nights here at the end of our stay. I had researched this hotel before we came and had kind of been interested in it because I thought it was a good value. It is a lovely place and the beach was gorgeous at this location. However I was a little disappointed with our room. If I had been here for my whole stay I would have been very upset and would have asked to be moved. Our room must have been the smallest room in the building. There was no place for our luggage. It took up most of the space we did have. I am not sure if they gave this to us because of the deal we scored on expedia or not but it offered ZERO privacy from the bathroom and the bathroom was micro tiny. The door in the bathroom was like an old sliding closet door and I could literally wave my hand out of one side of it, which was humorous to me but might not have been if I was on my honeymoon. It seemed almost as if this room had maybe once been a storage area for the hotel. We did have a nice lanai with nice views of the ocean however and I was pretty relaxed since this was the end of our stay and we really just wanted to still be in Maui but keep in mind I did only pay 140 a night and this was in the room category partial ocean view. I also want to note that it was incredibly loud early in the morning with the staff yelling housekeeping outside our room at 7:45 a.m.. I am on vacation I do not want to be awake that early!
The pools are very small but you don't really need them as the stretch of beach here is long and unobstructed and beautiful! It has a great location to whaler's village and some great snorkeling as well. We did watch the sunset from the beach here and it was one nice sunset! Make sure you make it to Hula grill one night for a sunset! It was very romantic and the drinks are awesome there!
This property does need to put some money in updating the whole resort, as they have only updated the rooms at this point. I felt a little sorry for the staff as there attire was pretty horrible. I would be embarrassed to have to wear what they did. The staff was very nice though and seemed friendly. I don't know if I had been looking for above and beyond experience here if I would have received it though. The food was pretty good for lunch and we found over the course of our whole stay that splitting meals was a good way to go as the portions were hearty enough to share. They have a pretty decent happy hour here and that was nice after the place we were before. However I would highly suggest going to the grocery store and getting a cooler and bring your own alcohol with you to the beach or pool. Just keep in mind not to bring glass down to the beach! :)
They did give us a late checkout on our last day of 2 p.m. but I had to kind of pull teeth for it but that was nice as we didn't leave Maui until 9:00. They do offer a "clean up" cottage you can use for 30 min. That is a bit of a stretch as you have to cart down to it and that takes about 5 to 10 min of your 30 min. They should in reality give you at least 45 min to an hour. Just beware that you are not the only one who has used this room during the day and it will be like using a community shower. The cottage rooms are very very outdated and I would not want to stay in one of these at all. The bathroom was unbelievably hot and there was only one little tiny window AC in the main living room to cool the whole area. It was fine just to get ready in but the resort should really renovate them. They could be a real gem!
All in all this place is a nice 3.5 place with a very nice beach and good location. I would recommend this resort but only if you get a really good deal and definitely not for a honeymoon. I think there are more romantic places on the island you could go. I priced it out when I got home and was pretty shocked to see the oceanfront rooms were outrageously priced (as much as the Ritz, which is where we stayed for the first part of our stay) and I would be pretty upset if I paid that kind of money knowing I could have had much more room and service somewhere else for that kind of money.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (965)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 18 June 2010

my mom and i would definitely stay here again. firstly, the hotel is in kaanapali, four miles north of lahaina, which is why location isn't a five. but it's also on a beach, along with all the other kaanapali resorts. great snorkeling spot! it's right next to black rock! and the westin, right next door, has a coral reef in their waters, and all the beaches are public. just great!

the staff at the hotel was great, as were the amenities and our room. (we stayed in the tower, free upgrade for some reason, not the cottages where we booked. so that was great!)

the grounds were large and included most everything you'd need, like a business center, two pools, a gift and snack shop open from 7am-11pm, two different and competing tour booking groups, and so on.

i got to make a lei, and the worker didn't even charge me the $5 they're supposed to. it would have easily cost $15 in a store, and was so pretty! and the staff was just helpful with anything we needed, and everyone was extremely friendly.

also, a great deal that if you have a car and park there ($10/night) you could tack on $6 extra per day for two mai tais, which would have been $18 full price. and these were by far the best mai tais we ever had. (they didn't skimp on anything just because they were cheaper.)

oh and the musician (singer/guitarist) and dancer they got to perform each night at the hotel restaurant/bar were great! i normally find that stuff cheesy but it was just soooo good. the singer had the most beautiful voice i've heard. since then we've been to many places with singers but none can compare. you can even just sit there by the pool and listen without buying anything.

also, they had a snorkel shack and even though we brought our own gear (so much cheaper than renting) the guy there taught us how to use it and also sprayed them to de-fog the masks. and when my mom's flipper got messed up he tried to help fix it! all just to be nice, which was great. he told us about the tours he sold but definitely didn't push us to go on them (which we didn't since the free snorkeling was so great!)

definitely stay in the royal lahaina next time you're in maui!

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank labewo
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We stayed here for 6 nights and loved every minute. The cottage suite we stayed in had two bathrooms and was roomy for our family of four. The kitchen and bathrooms are a bit older and do not appear to have been updated recently but everything worked. All of the staff was very friendly which was nice after staying in Oahu for 5 nights where they were not so friendly. Located right by the beach, paths to walk, food on site and drinks were good. If you leave at night between 5-9 be prepared to park far because of the Luau. Go to the Luau and use travel/adventure assistance on site.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank famtrav4_10
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I stayed here with my husband on a quick short trip to Maui for a friend's wedding. I was recommended by a co-worker to stay at this hotel. He told me it was recently renovated and that it was a nice place to visit. So I decided to take the leap.

From the looks of the outside of the hotel, it looks old. But once you get inside and especially into your hotel room, it's completely renovated. The rooms were extremely comfortable and nice. I was completely surprised! The bathroom and decor is modern so it felt new and clean. It was definitely worth the cost that we paid to stay here.

The hotel is also close to the Black Rock which is about a 5-10 minute walk but has great snorkeling. We also ate at the restaurant downstairs which had amazing food.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to find a nice value priced hotel because this is definitely it!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OrganizedTourist
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 16 June 2010

I went here on my honeymoon, and decided I really wanted to splurge on a super nice hotel so we could live in luxury for 6 nights. I was constantly disappointed- the room wasn't as big or as nice as I had thought, we had to pay every night for parking, and you had to pay an arm and part of a leg just to use the tennis courts. We thought a resort would include more- really it just allowed them to charge us more. We were told we would get a free bottle of champagne brought to our room the first night since it was our honeymoon, but we had to call down twice and received it on day three, finally. The bed frame was at just a height that I cut my shins to the point of blood at least twice. The website assured there was "free internet" but that was only for one hour a day. The room service and hotel restaurant were very average. There were just so many things that made me wish I would have saved our money and stayed at a simpler hotel with the same accommodations for less money.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
JWKOI, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, 17 June 2010
The Staff and Management of the Royal Lahaina Resort pride ourselves in sharing the aloha spirit, providing a great vacation value and in assisting all of our guests in making the most of their Hawaiian vacation. We consider guest feedback to be one of our most important tools in measuring our success, and are concerned any time that we learn that we have not exceeded our guests expectations. We are very sorry to learn that we were unable to meet your expectations, and sincerely hope that you will allow us a future opportunity to do so.

Our resort is considered a 3 1/2 star property by most of our travel partners and offers one of the most value-oriented resort options available within the Kaanapali Beach Resort, with current 2010 room rates starting from $145 per night. Guestrooms in our Lahaina Kai Tower received a 35 Million Dollar upgrade in 2007 and are considered among the nicest rooms on Maui. Our cottage rooms offer guests a moderate guestroom experience, with traditional Hawaiian ambiance.

As with most every hotel / resort in Kaanapali parking charges are charged separately, so that guests not utilizing this service will not be charged for it.

The Royal Lahaina Resort is home to the largest tennis facility on West Maui, featuring 11 courts and professional instruction. Resort guests may utilize the tennis facilities for a discounted rate of $10 per person, per day.

In-room high-speed internet service is available to guests for $9.95 per day. A computer terminal with printer and high-speed internet service is available for complimentary guest usage in our Guest Relations Office.

Mahalo.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Lahaina for 7nights on our honeymoon. We were horrified at the price of some resorts on Kaanapali beach and so when this place was recommended by a friend we jumped on it. We had an oceanview room in the new tower. I would definitely recommend the tower as opposed to the cottages as it is newly renovated. The location is wonderful, right on the beach and the hotel restaurant is outdoors and a good price with daily specials. We really enjoyed the more personal small resort feel and even got a bottle of champagne on check in since it was our honeymoon. the pool area is a bit small but not too busy and really you are steps from the beach.

There are many restaurants and things to see within a 5-10min drive. MUST RENT A CAR. All in all it was a great choice and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing honeymoon spot who doesnt want to spend an arm and a leg at the big spa/resports on Kaanapali beach.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz7232
NJ
Reviewed 7 June 2010

I stayed at the Royal Lahaina with my husband and parents. My parents had an ocean room in the tower on the 12th floor and my husband and I had an ocean view on the 5th floor. The views were great and the hotel was peaceful and beautifully landscaped. The beach was really great, with great snorkeling and was never really very crowded. It was great for a long morning walk and a beautiful spot to sit and watch sunsets. I had heard that tower was recently renovated, and that was why we chose to stay there. The rooms were clean with nice big balconies. And there is nothing more relaxing than falling asleep to the sound of ocean waves breaking on the shore. We had a few meals in the restaurant there, and the food was actually pretty good. Whalers village is a short walk away and nice for shopping. Parking was a little challenging at night, as the hotel hosts a luau which people attend from all over, but we never had an occasion where there was no parking - it was just far away.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple