“Great stay in the Ginger Room”

Banyan Bed and Breakfast Retreat
Ranked #1 of 2 Makawao B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
White Plains, New York
“Great stay in the Ginger Room”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I just came back from a wonderful 5 days, staying in the Ginger Room at the Banyan Bed and Breakfast retreat. Marty and his wife were very gracious hosts. Marty drove me to get to the store in town the first day before the retreat started since it was raining, so I would have some food for dinner that night, and lunch the next day before the retreat began. The room had a nice little refrigerator and all the equipment I needed (microwave, coffee pot, dishes, glasses, silverware, can opener, etc) to prepare those two meals for myself. Marty's wife graciously replaced the coffee maker when it didn't seem to work, and Marty showed me how to work with the clock in the room that I had trouble figuring out. I felt that whatever I needed they would do their best to provide, so I felt very taken care of!
The bed was extremely comfortable and I took advantage of that the first day to recover from my lack of sleep due to jet lag and preparing for an early flight and the long plane trip from NY to Maui. The next morning Marty's wife left me a nice little breakfast tailored to my vegetarian life style!
And each night I was there I happily climbed into that comfy bed and went right to sleep!
The room was large, and the comfortable couch served both as my meditation seat and as my "office chair" while working on my computer! The room was equipped with WiFi and I was able to access it without a password, so I could make all the internet connections I needed to make.
The large room where we met for the retreat was comfortable and bright and the kitchen well stocked with cooking equipment that made it easier for our chef to serve us the delicious meals we enjoyed.
I had one swim in the nice pool (the water temperature was perfect) and enjoyed some time sitting on the pool deck enjoying the sunshine, in between retreat sessions.
The whole stay left me with a pleasant feeling for the Banyan Bed and Breakfast Retreat so I am happy to recommend it to others travelling to the east side of Maui!

Room Tip: There were other lovely rooms, but I am happy to have been assigned to the Ginger Room.
Green Features: I was busy with the retreat and only notice the recycling of bottles and paper. I wasn't aware of the other environmentally-friendly practices used by the folks at this B & B.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed in a very comfortable cottage situated in a lovely small town just a short drive from the busy town of Paia. The location is central and ideal. The Banyan B & B is a lovely and private spot owned/managed by Marty, a very gracious and helpful person. The grounds are quite spectacular with much open space, beautiful landscaping plus a lovely pool and hot tub. The song birds were incredible and the breakfast delivered to your door was fresh and healthy. Peaceful, away from the crowds and a true tropical paradise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I enjoyed wonderful stay. the environment, garden, pool, interrior are all satysfied a lot. the owner is really frienrly and quick response.clean and quiet and stylish! I hope to stay again soon. thank you very much!

• Stayed June 2014
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Pleasant, clean cottages on a beautiful lush property. Very relaxing atmosphere in great location for staging Haleakala hikes, trip to Hana. I could live without the juice boxes in breakfast box. Nice value--we'll be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our stay at the Banyan Bed and Breakfast was short but delightful. Marty was a gracious host. The property is lovely with a large pool and hot tub. Sue's cottage was clean, peaceful and had everything we could ask for including filtered water in the fridge and Hawaiian grown coffee. The continental breakfast even had organic apple juice. Marty generously opened the yoga studio so I could enjoy a morning solo session and it was absolutely beautiful set in a bamboo grove. All and all the property is deeply peaceful, green with a large lawn and several tree swings for bringing out your inner child.

Room Tip: Sue's cottage is great--spacious with 2 private bedroom areas and 2 private baths. Great for tr...
Green Features: Being chemical free at home I was especially impressed with the BioKleen nontoxic dish-washing liquid in the kitche and the natural almond soap and shampoo products in the bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

2 Thank Andrea N
Los Altos, California
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Comfortable two bed two bath cottage. Quiet. Friendly helpful staff. Pleasant stay. Good value. Near a cute little town. Close to several good restaurants. Important to have a car. Pretty countryside.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Reviewed 31 March 2014

When possible I prefer bed and breakfast type accomodations. In Makawao that is the prevalent type....this facility has more of a feeling of a "camp" with pleasant rooms and kitchenettes...spread out on a residential lot. Clean, comfortable and simple.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Leslie D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Peace Of Maui
Peace Of Maui
#2 of 2 in Makawao
Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono

Been to Banyan Bed and Breakfast Retreat? Share your experiences!