“Very disappointing.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Makawao
BC
“Very disappointing.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Lumeria exists to serve the staff, not the guests who attend.

Before we decided to come to Lumeria, I read the reviews on trip advisor. A common complaint is that some rooms are quite noisy. I decided to make a reservation ONLY if a quiet room was available. I booked room 5A: a room at the end of the building facing the courtyard with fewer people would be walking by. Based on this, I made the reservation.

When we arrived, we were greeted unenthusiastically. We approached the check-in building and had to interrupt staff to get their attention. This happened numerous times throughout our stay. We were greeted with blank looks and offered a, "We are checking in."

We were the only guests to arrive that day that were not part of a group. A small resort has the advantage of greeting guests by name and making guests feel like valued and welcome visitors. Instead, we felt more like intruders. We were told that our room wasn't ready and to come back at 3pm. We were told we could use the pool and given a map.

When we checked in I learned we were in room 5D. At that point, I said, "5A." and the staff said, "No, you are in 5D."

I later returned to let her know that we were told over the phone that we were in room 5A. I also let her know that I made a reservation on that condition. She said that her computer needed to say 'do not move' for her to know that I had specifically requested that room. This didn't help me at all.

When we checked into our room, I found that the ties on all of the blinds were in knots. I spent 20 minutes un-knotting the blinds so that we could have some privacy. We were in a high traffic area and people walked past our room frequently.

Outside our room was the juice station where the resort sells juices. Early each morning someone arrives and dumps ice cubes in a large bucket. More noise!

I attended hot yoga. The class started ten minutes late. The floor was dirty. I was later told by two different staff that the yoga class was just for staff and it was nice to see me there.

When you arrive at the resort, you are given a different list of classes then what is posted on the website. You will have a hard time finding one yoga class each day to attend. I attended two more yoga classes and both were frustrating. One started ten minutes late. It was full of regulars - locals from outside the resort. The other class I took was in a Quonset Hut. It was more like an exercise class to bad pop music.

Dinner is cafeteria style.

Breakfast is surprisingly unhealthy and it is impossible to avoid sugar. For a resort that charges top prices and prides itself on holistic practices, breakfast should have healthier choices.

Overall this is a very disappointing experience. I was looking for (and led to believe) that I would get a RETREAT experience with lots of variety of activities when in fact there was but one yoga class each day.

I also had an appointment for a 20 minute 'way of the shaman' and as you know the guru was late - late enough that it ate into yoga class, so I had to choose between yoga (my love) and this completely unknown experience.

The website has YOGA as a separate bolded element: this is NOT a place to go to deepen your yoga practice.

There were other problems. After stepping out of the shower the first day, I noticed a lot of water on the floor. I grabbed a towel to mop it up and when I picked up the towel it was brown with dirt from the floor.

On the second day of our stay, I looked out for the chambermaids to ask for new towels. I got new towels but they didn't take the old ones away so the bathroom had 3 towels with no -where to go! I also noticed that they did not wipe the faucets or replace the drinking glass (which had lipstick on it).

On a positive note, the deep feet massage was, by far, the best massage I've ever had.

The beds were incredibly comfortable. I appreciated the availability of coffee in the morning. The grounds and the building itself are stunning. The pool and hot tub are very nice.

I expected deep retreat and experienced do-it-yourself camp.

The staff have created a general feeling that it is a privilege for me to be there, rather than giving me a feeling that it is a privilege for the resort to have me as a guest. Whatever the staff are busy doing, they have not thinking/acting that the guests are the centre of the Lumeria experience. In general, it feels as though Lumeria serves the staff rather than serving the guests.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank rocketrizzo
LumeriaMaui808, General Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear rocketrizzo,

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize most sincerely for the fact that we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent stay at Lumeria Maui. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback; it is only through constructive criticism and feedback that we can continue to improve the Lumeria experience for our students and guests.

We are extremely disappointed that you had a negative experience at our property.
We would have appreciated the opportunity to address the issues you experienced while you were here, so that we could have recovered your experience.

We have taken note of the very detailed feedback that you have provided which we are very grateful for. Your feedback will be used as a valuable training tool with our Front Desk, Housekeeping and Food & Beverage teams in order to address the issues that you have highlighted.

We would once again like to extend our apologies to you and thank you for the insights that you have provided.

Steven Berger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Wow and WOW ! This place is indeed heaven on earth - the setting is stunnning. The backdrop of Haleakela from the pool takes your breath away, the lawn with the buddha is just perfect and for anyone obsessed with crystals like me they have some beautiful pieces scattered all over the place. Oh god and the spa treatments !! Just book one !! I The energy of this place is like nowhere on earth - that is partly because of the scenery but also because of the staff - they will do anything to help your stay be the best experience on Maui. They are so unbelievably attentive ( to the extreme that lovely Steven even asked the gardener to switch off his lawn mover to reduce the noise as we were having lunch!!). The kitchen staff are just wonderful and the food highlights their love and passion for their job and to bring healthy nutritious food to feed your soul and body. They are more than just 'hotel staff' too - every single person I met there really connects with you and I had some wonderful conversations about spirituality and the nature there. I would recommend this place to anyone. If you want some peace and want to reconnect with yourself and nature - just please book yourself in. I was lucky enough to stay in the first block - located by the whispering woods where they have hammocks overlooking the ocean in the most incredible calming trees - wow, what a view !! It is simply the best place I have ever stayed in and the best customer service and love I have ever received form a resort. What they do is beautiful and I'm so grateful to have experienced staying at Lemuria. (I never did ask about the name since I just presumed that it was inspired by the original Lemuria and since that was meant to have been where Maui is and was a place full of true heartfelt connections with the people around you, all of nature and being totally at peace with the world; the Lumeria Maui is the closest thing to that in this lifetime !! Lots of love and gratitude to all the staff there xx

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Katey R
LumeriaMaui808, Manager at Lumeria Maui Retreat, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Katey R,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! We are so glad that you had such a wonderful time here and we're deeply grateful to you for letting us know!

The experience you had here is exactly what we had in mind when we opened Lumeria Maui. It is why we do what we do!

We sincerely hope to see you here again!

~ The Lumeria Maui Front Desk Staff
New York
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

The resort is beautiful and located on a beautiful island. Our recent stay was not enjoyable however. We arrived after dark and received no help locating our room on the dimly lit property. The service overall was very poor and there are no phones in rooms to contact staff for help. There are also a very limited number of trash cans on the property- strange and annoying. The rooms do not have air conditioning, which means everyone has their windows and blinds open so there is ZERO privacy. You can hear your neighbor fart, seriously. The bread and minimal fruit breakfast was unimpressive. We sat outside at night and were attacked by sand fleas. We woke up with hundreds of bites on exposed skin. The final straw for our family was when our baby woke up crying with a cockroach in her bed- so gross! We really never saw the staff, so the large number of positive service ratings leads me to believe they are false. There is no food or beverage service on property (except for a strange dinner that we tried with a 24-hour advanced booking that was inedible), no place delivers and you have a mini fridge in your room. Bottom line- most expensive camping trip we've ever been on! Pass on this resort.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Nikki W
Aloha Nikki,

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize to you for the fact that we were unable to meet your expectations in certain areas during your recent stay.

It is only through constructive criticism and feedback from our Guests that we can improve our service delivery and product should we not be meeting our Guests expectations.

Our mission is to provide an educational eco-luxury retreat experience for our Guests and we pride ourselves on maintaining a safe, clean, peaceful, elegant and inspiring retreat environment.

We designed our retreat center with no in-room phones nor air conditioners in order to support our Guests to unplug and embrace the barefoot luxury retreat experience. We did however install high speed wireless internet throughout the buildings, so that those with business and personal needs could conduct their work as needed.

We are in such an ideal location with cool ocean breezes that we decided against air conditioners as well, preferring the natural breezes and ceiling fans. However, we are taking your comments very seriously about noise transference and privacy, and we are currently looking at the best way to deal with this.

As an eco retreat that is surrounded by sugar cane fields and natural foliage on a tropical island, we do deal with bugs, especially during the heat of the summer months when these are more prolific. However we do our best to control this using environmentally friendly organic pesticides.

We also take pride in our amazing staff – the team in our reservations department, housekeeping and in our kitchen - so we are surprised and disheartened that you did not feel taken care of during your stay with us.

We wish to thank you again for providing us with feedback as it is important for us to consistently improve the Lumeria experience both for our Guests and Students and we appreciate all feedback and suggestions.

Steven Berger
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Romantic and relaxing.

My husband and I just left Lumeria and were awed by how calm and peaceful we felt with just a one night stay. The gardens around the property were stunning. We tried to keep track of the variety of plants we saw but we lost count! We cannot wait to return in the future for another visit.

Stayed July 2014
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I recently stayed here while attending a 6 day retreat and I was so impressed with the staff, they offered incredible service and made the stay to enjoyable. The accommodations were beautiful and the instant you set foot on the grounds you feel a sense of peace and at home. As you walk the grounds you a gain a deep sense of appreciation for all of the little details and that went into creating this space, from the light music that plays as you walk around to the lovely scents, plants, and textures. This place is beyond amazing and I can't wait to go back! Along with the beautiful space the provide to recharge they also have a spa that will put you in a peak state of mind, I opted for the Lomi Lomi Massage but I am sure they are all wonderful. I can't praise this place enough. Scott and Steven are gems, along with everyone else that works here. The food is great, the rooms were fantastic, and all of the options of areas to sit, relax, and take in the beauty were beyond perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Charlotte_Rutter
Maplewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I just attended a 6 day retreat at Lumeria and my stay was perfect. The room was cozy and the shower was lovely with a pebbly floor. The pool, labyrinth, hot tubs, and hammocks are fantastic for r&r. The spa was outstanding... I had the best massage. I opted for the Lomi Lomi and it was simply superb. The staff is incredibly warm, friendly, and very helpful. A special thanks to Christina for all of her help and recommendations on where to go locally... the waterfall was a highlight.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mara L
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I work in the hotel industry and visit many hotels over the course of a given year. I can honestly say that I have never stayed at a hotel like this before. The hotel and surrounding grounds define the term "transformational relaxation". I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a non-manufactured experience that is so often received at the larger Four Seasons and Ritz. For me, relaxation is the ability to unplug, read a book and soak the surroundings into my core. I got this and more at Lumeria.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jacob O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Andaz Maui At Wailea
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!