“A quiet getaway from the touristy places” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aloha Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Makawao
Aloha Cottage
Sydney, Australia
“A quiet getaway from the touristy places”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

Took about nearly 1-2 hours or so to get from Kannapali to the cottage. You really do need to have the instructions they give you because its pretty difficult to find. Basically because your on the road to the accommodation but you have to look out for the specific mailboxes to turn left into the small 1 way concrete road that leads up to the fence. Punch the key and door opens and you arrive to the cottage.

We saw the main house in the background and I think there are two cottages because we turned left and I think if you turn right, theres a 2nd cottage. Normally they advise what time you arrive so they can greet you but we were running late so I called to let them know but we didn’t have a chance to meet them. Anyway they leave the key in the door and you enter the cottage. It’s a nice cottage with the bed in the middle, little kitchen and nice bathroom.

The room from the bedroom to outside is just trees which was a bit disappointing, was hoping there was a view out to the ocean or something but in a way adds a bit of privacy because if you use the spa outside e.g. during the night, then no-one can really see you. The only downside to the cottage was that there was no drying/washing machine to clean/dry the clothes. We had to manually clean our clothes and whilst we left it outside, it didn’t really dry and had to utilise the aircon heat to dry our clothes.

There is a soaking tub in the front but its not jetted, just put hot water in it and perhaps bubble batch.

Whilst the cottage is nice & relaxing, if you’re here to do nothing, then this is a place to go because its quite expensive. Although there are some places around that you could do that is near by. One night we drove to Paia and man was it packed! I normally get a parking but after doing 3-rounds, I couldn’t find any at all so just drive back to Makawao to the general store and we stocked up on the food they had there. We managed to go to Paia the night after and was weird because it wasn’t packed, mainly because we went late.

If your after a touristy area to see the sights of what Maui has to offer, I’d recommend probably just going to one of the tourist beach resorts they have. Because we only stayed for 3 nights, I think even 2 nights would be suffice at the Cottage. But if your here to relax and get away from the hussle and bussle from all the tourists, this is perfect to go – very secluded.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sydney_Aussie21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

After reading some of the more scathing reviews of this cottage, I was aprehensive about the experience when I got there. I can now say with great confidence that those people are way off base! This cottage was incredible and exceeded all of our expectations from the word go! It was clean, gorgeous, and the ultimate getaway experience if that is what you are looking for. The only complaint is that the windows looking out on the porch have no blinds. When the sun is up, you're up. A very small price to pay and it made for longer, more enjoyable days for our honeymoon! The owners gave us our space but were ready and willing to help out on a moments notice (and they did) when my wife was rushed into surgery the last day. Great end to the honeymoon :) The drive up is incredible, bring a camera! One tip, make sure to stop by a supermarket for food that first might because the Makawao stores close pretty early. Get some essentials and you're set.
A picture perfect honemoon, would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PhantomReg
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2010

WOW! Words cannot describe what an amazing experience The Aloha
Cottage was for my husband and I. It was the perfect setting for our
honeymoon and I could not have asked for a better start to our
marriage. Everything----right down to the details was perfect. The
Aloha Cottage is beautiful and I would recommend to anyone looking for
a truly "dream" vacation!!! This place is a gem!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mselig
Blainville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

I read in a book about Maui that you didn't6 see the real Maui if you don't see the Sunrise at the summit of Haleakala. I would like to add to this that if someone go visiting Up Country without staying at the Thai Three House for a couple of days, he didn't see the best of Upcountry ! It's a quiet & peaceful place to relax and recharge batteries. We enjoyed our stay has newlywed. We already recommand that place to our friends that will go, as us, spend some nights there as part of their honeymoon trip.

Thank you Ron & Ranjana ! You are part of our best memories of Maui !

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank k4d4
Maui, HI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

We live on the island of Maui and have stayed at the Aloha Cottage on several occasions for an on island getaway. The property is above Makawao. It has gorgeous views and a lovely sent of the eucalyptus trees. I can honestly say that I have had some of my best nights sleeps ever here. Unlike other parts of the island, This area of upcounrty Maui is a perfect temperature, warm during the day and wonderfully comfortable at night. The property is close to the quaint town of Makawao and a quick drive to great beaches and or the airport. Staying at the Aloha cottage allows you the ability to see and experience Hawaii in a way that most on the normal tourist circuit will never see. The staff have always been warm, welcoming yet unobtrusive. Definitely stay here!

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ksmui
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

My husband and I just had our honeymoon here and we couldn't be happier with the experience! The Thai Tree House is pure luxury, an elegant spot nestled in the woods of upcountry Maui. It was totally private, peaceful and romantic. On top of that, we were close to two adorable towns, Makawao and Paia, where we went out to eat (great restaurants) and had a chance to do some great shopping too. The service was excellent and the owners of this place are very friendly and helpful. I've traveled a lot, and always in B&B's like this (rarely in big hotels - just not my style) and I have to say that the Aloha Cottage is a gem.... I wholeheartedly recommend it!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LeenaCFA
New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2010

I cannot say enough good things about The Aloha Cottage. It was the perfect vacation, a luxuriously private retreat but close enough to all the things we wanted to see/do. The Aloha Cottage is gorgeous. Impeccably decorated and incredibly beautiful. It felt like a five star hotel and a little country cottage all at once...the best of both worlds! We were minutes away from Makawao, the most adorable town with lots of great shops and places to snack and a sort drive away from Paia, where we ate most of our meals by the water. My husband and I have said we hope to make a trip to The Aloha Cottage a yearly event for us...it was truly an amazing experience!!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NNarratives
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
Travaasa Hana, Maui
Maui Coast Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,066 reviews
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Been to Aloha Cottage? Share your experiences!