“Beautiful place!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Paia B&B and Inns
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Beautiful place!”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I had only one night in Maui (prolonged layover between Kauai and Big Island) and were lucky to find this beautiful and affordable place. The grounds were amazing and we were in the downstairs room with private bath (I believe #3?). Very clean and comfortable. A little on the small size but who cares, we wanted to be outside as much as possible! The location is great too, just outside of Paia main strip but easy to get anywhere really.

I would definitely come back and stay here!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My daughter and I arrived for our last night of an 8 night Maui vacation. We stayed in a room on the main floor with 2 twin beds. The amenities of the house are great; comfortable places to sit and read or talk, inside or out. The home was very clean. Appreciated the large kitchen and getting our own breakfast with fresh fruit, cereal, or yogurt, juice, and bagels. Our room was warm, I kept the windows open. We realized we needed a fan too late into the night to ask. I would recommend Kuau Inn and stay here again for a future trip. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Barb V
NYC
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Below is the review I had originally written about my family's one night stay at Kuau Inn this past August as well as the response posted by the owner Brian Doyle. Since then I have been in touch with Brian who has graciously refunded the cost of our stay which was very much appreciated. It seems that the bug issue we experienced was exceptional, coinciding with the sugar cane harvest which occurred during our stay. Seems like it would be a great place to stay as long as your timing is right.

Previous review:

The Inn looked well equipped and comfortable but it was crawling with roaches. I understand this may be a "local" place and in Hawaii, but we had already spent a week at two other places on the island and had not encountered this problem anywhere else. There were roaches on the bed -- on my pillow, in the bathroom, on the walls, the counters in the kitchen and even inside the coffee maker. It was a real turn off!

KuauInn, Owner at Kuau Inn, responded to this review
September 24, 2013
I am not sure why this guest had this experience and did not bring it to our attention. The Inn is located next to a sugar cane field and there are times just before the harvest when there are some white flying insects. They can make it into the house if some windows or screens are left open. These are not red cock roaches! The Inn is very clean and is cleaned every day. We do not fumigate or poison for eco and health reasons so it is possible to see some ants, spiders and other insects that live here in the tropics. Almost all the guest that have stayed with us have had a very enjoyable experience. I stay here myself often and I am here right now at the Inn. There are no signs of anything like what this person is explaining. If the guest was not happy with their stay and told us, we could have offered her a refund.

Brian Doyle

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Thanks to Brian for the superb treatment while staying at the Inn. It was very clean, NO roaches. Can't understand Traveltoast's review, as I have lived in Hawaii and I KNOW roaches! Loved the outside shower and watching the stars at night. Loved the proximity to town and beaches. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Rooms downstairs are quietest.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank braecleo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This might be a great place for others, but it wasn't good for me.

There was a little mix up for me when arriving: I hadn't properly read my confirmation email so I didn't know how to get in the house when it was locked. I thought someone had to be there to let me in. Oops.

My room was cute. The mattress was comfortable. It was very clean. There were books there and you can use the phone and wifi, which was great. I could put my food in the fridge and use the kitchen, which was great. There was a nice self-serve breakfast also.

The house is on the highway so there are trucks and other loud vehicles that pass by frequently. There isn't central air (there are fans though) so I wanted to have the windows open. But that meant that the noise kept me awake.

I also had a big cane spider in my room, which scared me only because I didn't realize it was a harmless cane spider (until later). It just looked scary. I feel a bit silly about being scared about it now, though.

The owners were VERY kind.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My boyfriend and I originally planned to stay for two nights and enjoyed our accommodations so much, we added a third night. The Inn itself is very nice, comfortable beds, clean, and the hosts were friendly and had many tips on places to see and activities to do. The other guests were also very friendly and from all over. The conversations that took place were great. The town is really cute, has great food, and is centrally located if you plan to explore other parts of Maui. We never experienced cockroaches in our coffee, or otherwise elsewhere... Highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Irvine, California
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I love that the staff was so friendly and the hotel was spotless. You could not ask for nicer people. They were so helpful and ready to tell you the best places that the locals love. They were so close to places to explore and going back to the hotel at the end of the day was heaven. We are going back next year, even though I don't usually go to the same place twice, especially in Hawaii. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gogreen911
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paia
Maui Seaside Hotel
#3 of 3 in Kahului
Nalu Kai Lodge
Nalu Kai Lodge
#3 of 6 in Paia

Been to Kuau Inn? Share your experiences!