“Convenient and Clean”

Ranked #1 of 3 Paia B&B and Inns
Conway, Arkansas
“Convenient and Clean”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The Kuau Inn had all the features we needed - close to beaches and activities, helpful staff (Haley & Ryan), ample food for breakfast choices, easy parking. We especially enjoyed meeting other guests and their suggestions (e.g., "Baby Beach" for grandkids later in the week).

Room Tip: We enjoyed our own bathroom for room #1. Take ear plugs if nearby traffic would disturb your sleep.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikeSharon1963

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We only stayed for one night, but great house with an outdoor shower, a great outside area to enjoy a meal outside. The Inn keepers were friendly yet reserved, which made us feel even more like we were on our own, which was great!! Clean room and kitchen, walking distance to Mama's Fish House Restaurant, minutes from Pa'ia and right on the road to Hana. We recommend it for sure!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Melanie R
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This B&B is great if you don't need to be waited on. It feels like your own private place eventhough other people are staying there. You have access to the sitting rooms, kitchen, lanai and large yard. Thank you to the hosts Neil & Julie. They are friendly, family people.They came by when we arrived because we didn't read the email instructions to get in and then gave us some good tips for restaurants, site seeing, driving etc. to get us started.

The best meals we ate in Maui were the ones we had in Paia, especially the fresh fish we BBQ'd ourselves at Kuaua Inn. We particulary enjoyed the homey atmosphere and making friends around the breakfast table with other couples/singles, sharing site seeing tips. We all had a mini new year's eve party together outside on the Lanai. The good coffee from Anthony's, outdoor hot shower, and free laundry facilities were all a bonus.

We would totally recommend the Kuau Inn and plan to go back.

Room Tip: Room # 3 has a private bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carolyn-and-Brian
Susanville, California
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My daughter and I visited for a week last April... I had researched places to stay and the Kuau Inn appealed because it is older, the price was reasonable, and the location is excellent on the Hana Road. It was our base of operations. The owners weren't around when we got there, but turned up later and Julie and Neal are fantastic hosts. They are a wealth of local knowledge and FUN good people! The Inn is kept clean, the kitchen is always stocked with fresh fruit, eggs and other breakfast items. We had room 4 which has two single beds and is probably protected from traffic noise. We certainly didn't notice it. We loved the fact that windows are left open for ocean breezes, and the fan was satisfactory for keeping us reasonably cool although the temperatures were pretty pleasant during our stay. Access off the highway isn't too much of a problem.... you just have to be alert, especially during "rush" hour. We're looking forward to staying again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Loved my 7-night stay at Kau Inn. The historic home is very charming and I had the good fortune to be the only guest at the Inn for the first 5 nights of my stay. The Inn is close to Mama's and Ho'okipa Beach. I stayed in Room 3 with the upgraded en suite bathroom. The accommodation was an excellent value; I particularly enjoyed the soft sheets, towels and the outdoor shower. Kudos to hospitable innkeeper Hayley, who was very attentive to my breakfast food preferences and overall guest experience. Mahalo nui loa!

Room Tip: In contrast to the Inn's website information, the quietest room is not Room #3, owing to road no...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Kuau Inn is not your typical B&B, I liken it to a upscale hostel which suited me just fine. The Inn Keeper was not around when I arrived, however the access instructions where mailed to me and I had no problem with access. The Inn is on a busy road, however traffic is fairly light after 10:00 pm and noise was really not an issue, other than two girls (Europeans) who decided to get up at 4:00 am and do their best to make as much noise as possible making breakfast.

The breakfast was good, I especially like the yogurt brand they stock, fresh Papaya and Apple Bananas. You also have bread/toast, cereal and eggs to chose from, all is self-serve and self-make. I also like the idea that you can bring your own food , there is a spot in the fridge for you and in addition to a well stocked kitchen, they also have a barbeque available.

If want to live like a local and have access to a beautiful home close to Paia and the North Shore , then Kuau Inn is the place for you. I really liked my stay here however don't expect fresh coffee and hot breakfast spread to be waiting for you in the am.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

This is a place to stay if you need to find a room at short notice, but not if you are looking to enjoy relaxing and chilling on Maui. It's right next to a busy road, so very noisy and unrelaxing(even more noisy if you get a room upstairs). It's also all rather impersonal as there is no contact with any owner,caretaker, or anyone as everything is arranged via e.mail. That was a strange feeling for me. When I did speak to the owner she seemed very nice, but feels like she is running a business and not a homely B&B. A shame because she clearly has taste (v.nice artwork on walls and everything is tastefully furnished) but where is she ????
All in all a slightly weird experience - nice if you are happy with a noisy and unhomely bed for the night. Not so bad, but could be a lot more, in my humble opinion.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Henry C
KuauInn, Owner at Kuau Inn, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
My apologies to this guest as I was unable to attend the Inn due to an accident that left me with a broken foot. Being on crutches for almost 6 weeks, I was unable to walk or drive. Generally, I am at the Inn on a regular basis and available for any question or concerns that guests may have.

Julie Thompson
Owner / Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paia
Maui Seaside Hotel
#3 of 3 in Kahului
Nalu Kai Lodge
Nalu Kai Lodge
#3 of 6 in Paia

Been to Kuau Inn? Share your experiences!