“So beautiful!”

and 1 more site!
The Inn at Mama's Fish House
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Our kids gave us a gift certificate for our 50th wedding anniversary to stay here as it was on the bucket list, and what a wonderful experience it was. We were in Maholo Cottage which had anything you could ask for plus the beauty of all that is Hawaii. Loved the fresh flowers everywhere and all of the little touches. Granted it is very expensive, but a once in a lifetime thrill.

Room Tip: Be prepared to fall in love with this corner of Maui. Pricey!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Julie K

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Junior Suit was excellent, extremely comfortable, pleanty of space, excellent bathroom, very quite. No you aren't on a beach of any significance & no there is no pool (personally that is a bonus - as I don't like to use "public" pools). The beach however is sufficient to cool off and the next beach up the road has surf, snorkelling and turtles. The restaurant dosen't pretend to be a cheap holiday option - it is a world class fish restaurant and charges accordingly, but you don't have to eat there and the guide in the room in absolute fariness informs visitors of all nearby options - alternatively get fab supplies from Paia and cook your own. I would advise against staying with children but it would be fine for small groups of friends & extended family as ther are several options though limited in the number for other rooms. You will need a car - but if you are seriously trying to explore Maui without one well good luck. Overall genuine 5 star accomodation of the studio appartment style with easy access to a 1-2 star Michelin Restaurant - only La Mere offers better sea food in my experience in Hawaii and its pricing is on a whole other level.

2  Thank DTG59
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I am surprised at the negative reveiws...for the people who did not like it, I feel that maybe they did not do their due diligence..this is not the beachy area of Maui..It is the leeward side. This is central for going to but not staying in Hana, It is great for going to Ho'okipa Beach to watch world class surfers and SUP's and Wind and Kite surfers...easy access but not walkable to Paia and easy to Kahului.

The little yard is cute, the BBQ is awesome, Free laundry..the suite itself is well appointed and the bed is supercomfy...this is an Inn not a resort...We have stayed here before and will be back as it is so convenient for things we like to do on Maui. The staff is lovely and the parking is easy.

If you want a sandy beach you must be on the Kihei/Wailua/Lahaina side but then your island experience will be very different. This side feels like Hawaii and your drive to Makawao and Haleakala are pretty easy up Baldwin Ave...Although Paia is getting pretty busy

The discount at the restaurant is greatly appreciataed.

2  Thank Diane78
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed one night at Mama's Fish House when we went to Maui for our 25th Anniversary. We stayed in the Lehi Room which is a cottage. It has it's own entrance and small yard with beautiful flowering vegetation everywhere. Access to laundry and beach chairs is located in a shed in the yard. The room was very cool and decorated in Hawaiian accents. The bed was comfortable and the bedding was clean and lush. There was a small kitchen with all the basics. The bathroom wasn't in the best shape, but it was certainly clean and the toiletries were very nice and the towels were fresh and fluffy. There were fresh flowers everywhere! Folded into the towels and on the bedding. We were greeted with a lovely breakfast tray with fresh fruit and banana bread. Wifi is free. Checking in and out was simple. Everyone was friendly and accommodating.

They are doing renovations there, so it might be a bit confusing to find the office to check in at first but people are friendly and will help navigate you.

I'm not sure I would stay here for a longer duration, but it was a good choice for one or two nights, if you want to spend time in Paia.

The Restaurant atmosphere was great! there is not a single space left unfilled with very interesting artifacts. It's like the Restaurant itself was built out of these things. Before dinner we walked the grounds and took pictures. Sat on the beach. Watched the sunset. Then we went for dinner. I had the Mahi Mahi and it was probably the best fish I have ever eaten. The Black Pearl was not just a dessert, it was a work of art! and delicious too. The drinks are very pricy. I had a sunrise and it was in a smallish Martini type of glass and it cost $20. I thought that was a bit ridiculous! It wasn't fantastic or anything. Our table, however, was perfect, looking out onto the grounds.

I want to say that as it was our 25th Anniversary, they gave us a nice card at the table and gave me a beautiful fresh flower lei, which I thought was a lovely and thoughtful gesture. This was not the most expensive restaurant we ate at. Fleetwoods actually cost more, but we did get appetizers and more drinks there. We did get a $25 credit at Mama's as overnight guests.

I'm glad I ate here as it was on my Maui bucket list.

I loved staying in Paia. Paia is one of my favourite towns. Mana Foods store was very interesting! It was huge and it was so busy, I wondered how such a small town could have SO many products. People must come from all around to that place.

We had breakfast at Charley's. The pancakes were huge and very good, with coconut syrup, which was interesting. The service was quick and fast. No waiting for a table. It was good value if you are looking for a quick breakfast before hitting the Road to Hana bright and early.

1  Thank L0wie
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights before we went to the south part of the Island for our "resort" vacation. This was the first time we stayed here at Mama's but not the first time to eat here. First, let me say that the beach is not for anyone expecting white sand and perfect sun. This is no the leeward side of the island and as such the beach is much rockier than the tourist beaches found elsewhere on Maui. That being said, it is very romantic in a classical sense, wind and water sculpted out cropings of lava with several "pools" near the beach to observe small sea critters. The grounds lead from the restaurant to the waters edge, under palms. When I read some of the bad reviews of this property I can see why the reviewers where not happy - they most likely where expecting perfect beaches and high end luxury accommodations. The beach is wild, rocky and beautiful in an un-refined natural way. The accommodations are very comfortable - think small condo / apartment - clean, (very clean as a matter of fact) each place has an outdoor washer and dryer - nice for sandy or dirty clothes. The welcome basket has a small amount of local roasted coffee, some sweet bread (ours was a banana) and fruit. The fridge in the kitchen had water stocked and some soda. Keep in mind, you are there because of the restaurant and perhaps to make the drive to Hanna and back and not have to drive an extra hour plus to the resorts.

As for the staff: Fist, our check in and check out where handled with the utmost professional manner - the folks in the front office from the time I called to book my stay and all the way through - made my two days there very comfy indeed. This is NOT in the middle of the luxury resort area - this is off the beaten path and quiet. Our cabin/condo was right behind the restaurant and had it's own "secret" door to get to the restaurant and beach. I parked the car for two days and had no regrets staying here.

THE FOOD: Yes, it is pricey - YES it is worth every penny. Yes, it is the freshest seafood you will get. NO - this not fast food. NO - you will not get in and out in a hurry. If that is your desire (to be in and out in a hurry) you need to find someplace else. If on the other you are looking for a truly wonderful, fresh meal - you have found the best restaurant on the island. The fish changes daily according to what the local fishermen bring in - you can not ask for a better experience.

THE STAFF - The folks at the restaurant are wonderful. Our waiter was very generous with his time and knowledge of both the fish, food and local area. We were taken care of without it being overbearing. Each of the four meals we had here where of equal quality - each staff person we encountered had a very pleasant manner about them and where very helpful. We really did not want to leave - as much as we enjoyed the rest of our vacation - Mama's remains one of our highlights. It really is the quality of the staff that makes the difference.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jon L
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I would not recommend staying here. It is a very depressing setting and there are no amenities (pools, beaches, etc.) nearby. The beach is very small and unwelcoming. The restaurant is very expensive for the quality of the meal. The personnel is very inflexible when it comes to reservations: we wanted to leave early because we were unhappy with the place and they refused to refund our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank c b
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Inn for three days- could have easily stretched it out if we had planned. Stayed in the Ahi Cottage. Beautiful place, fruit and banana bread flowers waitiin for us. The private small beach was steps away. We ate at Momma's Fish House and highly recommend. Guests at the Inn receive a 15% discount on food and drinks. The bartenders make some wonderful tropical drinks featuring local fruits. The food is superb. The Inn is just 5 minutes from the cute hippie town of Paia and is also on the Road to Hana. We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeff E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paia
Maui Seaside Hotel
18 mi away
Hotel Wailea
Hotel Wailea
#1 of 8 in Wailea

Been to The Inn at Mama's Fish House? Share your experiences!