The Inn at Mama's Fish House
AscendHotels
US$506
US$491
US$190
Andaz Maui At Wailea Resort(Wailea)
US$721
US$674
  • Beachfront
Residence Inn by Marriott Maui Wailea(Wailea)(Great Value!)
US$406
US$365
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
Paia Inn(Paia)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsbanana breadbedroom cottageopahwelcome basketmana foodsjunior suitewind surfersfull kitchenkona coffeethe cottagesroad to hanatwo nightswasher and dryerbeach frontclose to the airportpaia townsitting area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 March 2006

We just returned from our stay at the Inn at Mama's Fishhouse and give the Inn *****. The staff makes sure that everything is perfect at both the resaurant and the Inn. We rented the smaller cottage and thought it was a good value. The cottage was large, very well appointed and very clean.

We arrived late, but someone stayed late to met us. A large fruit basket welcomed us to our room. There was an excellent attention to detail at Mama's, and this includes our cottage. We were amazed by the beautiful fresh flowers around our room everday. Although the company's main concern is the restaurant, the staff spoils the Inn guests as well.

Stay here before it becomes too popular to reserve a room!

We loved Paia. It is a real town, with real people. Not a facade. We met interesting people who were friendly, interesting, informed, and intelligent. Did I mention diverse as well? We also met some characters and thank god for characters in this world. We are not resort types and did not love our stay on the west side of the island. We found better restaurants on this side of the island. Recommend Mambo, Paia Fish and Manano(sp?) Bakery and Restaurant. Loved Mam's Fish House, but be prepared to spend $$$$. Good food, great attention to detail but overpriced. We did enjoy our dinner and the experience. Walk over to the surfer beach right down the road for some great entertainment.

We also recommend the Sunrise Bike Company in Paia. Paulo knows his history of the area, the people and places to visit. Sunrise does not make you travel in a group, a big plus is you have people who do not know how to ride a bike well or are afraid of going downhill. These types can be the only dangerous part of a bike trip down the volcano. Paulo also have brand new Trek bikes, a big step above other bikes we saw going downhill.

• Stayed: March 2006
15  Thank Market
A TripAdvisor Member
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 27 October 2005

I staied at the Inn for a week last July and the experience was simply perfect. The small cottage are really good and the bigger one on the beach simply georgeus.
To forget to have at least one dinner at the restaurant because it is one of the best, if not the best, on the island.
If I will be lucky enough to go to Maui again I will choose Mama's Fish House again for sure.

• Stayed: July 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 October 2005

I was surprised that I found no reviews of Mama's Fish House Cottages since their restaurant is probably one of the most famous places on Maui (only slight exaggeration). I chose the Cottages mainly because it's very convenient to the Kahului airport. We'd just stayed for 2 nites in Lahaina and then 5 nites in Hana and wanted to have one last leisurely day/nite in Paradise before flying home. We stayed at the one bedroom Manini Cottage which doesn't have an ocean view, but is a very short walk thru Mama's grounds to their pretty, palm tree lined beach. I believe that there are a total of 9 guest units (most duplex types) on Mama's property inc. 2 guest houses (2 units in each: upstairs/downstairs) that have ocean views. In going to the business office to check in, we were a bit disappointed initially because it's located at the rear of the restaurant and the area looks very commercial, with a large employee parking area. However, the cottages are removed somewhat from that area and the exteriors of the non-ocean view units look like modest, but very tidy residences with plantings and trees surrounding them. We parked right in the drive of our cottage instead of in a parking lot. Our Manini Cottage turned out to be an absolutely perfect place to stay. All the rooms were spacious, very clean, and comfortably and pleasantly furnished--much like a nice condo unit. The cottage had a fully equipped kitchen, air conditioning, large screen TV, stereo, and a deligthtful, very private patio with table and chairs and a large (propane, I believe) barbeque. A most welcome amenity was our own private laundry room just a few steps out the back door--and no charge for using the machines. They even supplied detergent.

The management staff was friendly, helpful and efficient. As a welcome gift we found a huge fruit basket laden with all types of tropical fruit inc. a pineapple (which we took home with us--it was delicious), guava, mango, papaya, avocado, bananas, kiwi and many other items. The frig had bottled water in it, but there was a $1.50 charge for each--not a problem. Early the next morning a staff member unobstrusively delivered the local paper and placed a pretty star ginger flower on top of it. The only "complaints" I had were no box of tissues and the very thin wash cloths. We had the most restful, peaceful nite of our entire stay on Maui. I heard not one voice or car the entire nite--it was truly wonderful and exactly what we needed prior to a long return trip home.

Of course we had dinner at Mama's that night and it was as wonderful an experience as it had been in the past. Mama's just celebrated their 30th anniversary and they remain at the very top in food, service and in "island atmosphere". What a great, fun place to be! We noticed that the staff also seemed to truly enjoy working there and were having a great time themselves. The next morning before checking out, we walked along the beach and saw a double rainbow over the ocean.

Next time we return to Maui we'll do Upcountry and will stay at Mama's as it has the ideal, central location to get around the island--very convenient to get to the airport, Lahaina, Haleakala and even a big headstart on the way to Hana. The little town of Paia has a number of inviting cafes and restaurants, too. We also had a superb lunch at the Haliimaile Store, which is a short drive from Paia. But even if we never leave Mama's property, we would be able to experience a totally delightful time in Paradise--what a place!

22  Thank Forestvillian
Reviewed 7 February 2005

We stayed in a one bedroom cottage in March 2004. It was extremely well equipted and even had beach chairs and umbrella and a grill. There was a washer & dryer (and detergent) and a private walled garden for outdoor dining. The full kitchen had everything you could need. There was a fruit basket on arrival , and a flower with your morning paper. The beach is nothing special, but the location is very central. The restaurant was excellent but expensive (also the most expensive meal we ever had) but you should try it one night. The staff was very helpful. I felt the $175/night price was very reasonable.

15  Thank lndlauria
A TripAdvisor Member
Bentonville, AR
Reviewed 20 February 2004

OK, so this was the most expensive meal my husband and I have EVER had. But it was worth it, I think. The location is SUPERB. Right on the beach. The fish is so fresh they even credit the boat that the fish came from on their menu. We each had a green salad ($12 ea.). My husband got Mahi-Mahi stuffed with lobster and crab. I got a very mild fish, Opaka Opaka, with some kind of crust on it covered in a cheesy type of sauce. I don't typically eat fish. But let me tell you, I am STILL thinking about this meal and it has been 2 weeks since we ate it. Entrees ran about $45 ea. By the time we got beer and a house glass of wine ($16/glass), we spent $160 including tip. Like I said - expensive. But hey, you are on vacation. Go enjoy it. Reservations strongly recommended. They were packed at 5 pm.

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member