“Absolutely wonderful stay at the Gingerbread House”

Spyglass Maui Rentals
Ranked #3 of 3 Paia B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I had not read the reviews here before my stay at the Gingerbread House. After reading some of the reviews my jaw dropped in disbelief.

I am sad to write this review! Sad because I am no longer in Paia in the Gingerbread house! My boyfriend and I spent a few days here and were totally in love with the place!

Poni and her assistant Brooke were so welcoming and helpful. The entire transaction was flawless, Brooke even called just to check and see if we needed anything.

The house is secluded and private, very clean and well stocked for guests. The yard is lush with fruit trees and I loved waking up to the sound of birds chirping every morning. Other guests had commented negatively on "not being able to find the driveway" Not a problem. The house is up a driveway on the back side of the property where I would much rather be than near the road. Other comments mentioned bugs. Well, yes. Maui is a tropical paradise, so yes, there are bugs. There is a helpful book we found on the counter that even described what a cane spider was and not to be worried if we saw one. We did in fact see some, which we just let be. Cane spiders are all around the island, they were not a pest at all. They don't want to be around you anymore than you want to be around them.

Our stay there was so great that I know we are going to go back to visit again soon! The space is peaceful, tranquil and clean. While visiting we even stayed in one night and made dinner (after watching sunset at the beach, of course!). We took our dinner and wine upstairs to the large lanai and just enjoyed ourselves and the nature. Before booking the Gingerbread house I had booked a room at a big resort on the other side of the island. Shortly before the trip I saw Poni's place listed and cancelled our reservation at the way overpriced and manicured resort. I could not have been happier!

Paia itself is a sweet little town with friendly locals, great places to eat and shop:
- Mana Food for stocking up on all of your supplies
- Flatbread Company for great pizzas, salads, wine and service
- Mama's Fishouse (Reservations are a must!)
- The wine corner; small locally owned friendly, knowledgeable

Paia has excellent beaches, Baldwin is expansive and gorgeous, Ho’okipa is a must for sunset!

The Road to Hana and a drive to the summit of Haleakala are both easily accessed from Paia.

I can not say enough wonderful things about our stay there! Already looking forward to future visits!

4  Thank NJHOLLY77

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at the yoga studio rental. It was an okay experience, but definitely somewhat of a bait and switch as they didn't state certain things up front.

Pros -- pretty space, nice and open. Clean. Bed was comfortable. Nice location. The pictures are accurate as to what you see.

Cons --
(1) GIANT SPIDERS. Apparently called cane spiders and they're HUGE -- I'm talking size of my palm tarantula sized spiders. And since the bathroom is outside, it was quite a harrowing experience to take a shower or use the toilet because they'd be nestled into the corners. Had I known this, I would not have rented the place. This was a huge fraud from my perspective - you've got to disclose something like that. According to the manager it was so bad that the folks before us couldn't stay. We considered leaving, but I didn't want to have to find last minute accommodations (and the huge price it would have cost us). I'm not sure if we came during a particularly spider friendly part of the year or what, but this was truly awful.

(2) Lots of noise from upstairs neighbor/guest. Luckily, overall he was on the quiet side, but there were more than a few nights when there was some heavy noises upstairs, so much so that it woke us up. It literally sounded like he was moving furniture at 4 am, and we have no idea what was actually going on (didn't hear voices, but a lot of pounding and banging)

(3) Only one set of linens provided. We were there for over a week and had to launder our own sheets. I don't expect a fresh set every day, but at least one other set per week. Who wants to go to Hawaii and clean their own sheets?

(4) Awkward/lack of furniture. I don't need much, but there wasn't any sort of sink with a mirror. I wasn't going to stay in the bathroom any longer than absolutely necessary due to the spiders, but there was no where to really get ready or to put your clothes. It would have been nice to have a little vanity table or something to get ready at as well as a dresser or some simple shelves to keep your clothes on/in instead of having to keep everything in your suit case or laid out on piles on the floor. A very minor thing, but definitely worth noting. They definitely have plenty of space for such things -- just don't have any pieces of furniture like that.

Needless to say, the spiders were a dealbreaker. Otherwise, I would have given this place 3 - 3.5 stars (not nice enough for 4 or 5). And we won't be coming back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank L M
SpyglassMauiRentals, Owner at Spyglass Maui Rentals, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Aloha Guests, The spider problem is not an issue right now, as the suger cane fields get harvested every two years and we are on the off year in our area. When they are ready to harvest, they turn off the irrigation, and the spiders rome from the fields to look for water, and toward the nice green lawns of our beautiful places. We do have all of our windows and doors sealed every year to keep all bugs out, but sometimes a guest leaves the door open, or something like that, and the cane spider can get in. They are very harmless, and in fact kind of beautiful, once you realize how harmless that they are. We do kill them when we see them, so that you don't have to.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

My family of three just spent a fabulous week at Spyglass Rentals' Gingerbread House near the lovely town of Paui. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, loved the comfy and cozy cottage, especially the upstairs bedroom which opens to a terrace in the trees. Fantastic location, 5 minutes from town, from beautiful Baldwin beach, from Mama's Fish House, and Ho'okipa where we hung out with sea turtles on the beach, from yoga, and great bars and restaurants. Also easy access to other beautiful areas of Maui as Paui is only 7 miles from the airport and the access to many other points, including beaches on the south side. We would definitely return to the Gingerbread House.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My boyfriend and I had a lovely stay at the Green Turtle house this August. Poni is a very attentive and helpful host, and the house was a really nice place to hang out and siesta during the hot afternooons, (unlike a hotel room where you don't want to do much more than sleep). We found ourselves hanging around the house more than expected because it was just so peaceful and cozy. There is a beautiful yard with fruit trees, and a couple of great nearby beaches. The street noise is a bit loud at times because of the proximity to Hana Highway, but I thought it was worth it to have a convenient walk to town. Paia is a really relaxed little town with a lot of good non-touristy dining options. I would certainly stay here again.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

This place is a real gem! A totally charming little house with so much character. Sleeping in the bedroom upstairs was so relaxing with the ceiling fan going and the breezes blowing - a little bit of heaven.
The house is in a very quiet neighborhood just past the town of Paia, which is a cute and fun place to explore. We really felt at home here...it was hard to leave!

1  Thank Kristine J
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I spent a blissful anniversary week at the Gingerbread House in Paia, HI. We are two active, nature loving, bicycle riding vegans and first time Maui explorers. We were more than satisfied with the privacy and comfort that the house provided. Poni, the house caretaker, was responsive to our needs and very pleasant. The house is tucked back away from busy Hana Highway and is surrounded by beautiful mango and coconut trees. The kitchen was well stocked with all the cookware needed to stay in and cook meals if we so desired. We enjoyed shopping at Mana Foods, a local food store which carries everything essential for vegan/vegetarian cooking. When we wanted to dine out we had took a quick ride into Paia Town to Fresh Mint for delicious vegan Vietnamese food or Flatbread for vegan pizza. We traveled around most of Maui and ended up deciding that the best beaches were all nearby, Baldwin Beach for swimming and beachcombing as well as Ho' okipa for surfing, snorkeling and watching Green Sea Turtles (yes, at dusk these amazing creatures climb out of the ocean to rest on the beach!). In conclusion, we are in love with Maui, Paia and Gingerbread House! We hope we can return for more adventures sometime soon!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Liz M
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Me and my girlfriend have been in the paia spyglass house for 3 nights. We had the master bedroom and we had the whole flat for us because the other bedrooms weren't booked. There's a huge terrasse which invites you to eat breakfast there. We didn't spend much time in the house, because we wanted to see maui and not houses. But when we were "home" we had everything we needed: enough space, a big fridge, spoons, knives. It's not high-class luxury, but we didn't expected that from an b&b and for our taste, it was perfect.

The contact and administration with poni was uncomplicated and welcoming.

There's justone thing: the lights outside the house are broken and inside you have to walk to the kitchen to light the house... But every phone has a torchlight these days, don't they? I'm sure this will be fixed pretty soon..

Room Tip: The Master Bedroom has a private bathroom.