I had not read the reviews here before my stay at the Gingerbread House. After reading some of the reviews my jaw dropped in disbelief.
I am sad to write this review! Sad because I am no longer in Paia in the Gingerbread house! My boyfriend and I spent a few days here and were totally in love with the place!
Poni and her assistant Brooke were so welcoming and helpful. The entire transaction was flawless, Brooke even called just to check and see if we needed anything.
The house is secluded and private, very clean and well stocked for guests. The yard is lush with fruit trees and I loved waking up to the sound of birds chirping every morning. Other guests had commented negatively on "not being able to find the driveway" Not a problem. The house is up a driveway on the back side of the property where I would much rather be than near the road. Other comments mentioned bugs. Well, yes. Maui is a tropical paradise, so yes, there are bugs. There is a helpful book we found on the counter that even described what a cane spider was and not to be worried if we saw one. We did in fact see some, which we just let be. Cane spiders are all around the island, they were not a pest at all. They don't want to be around you anymore than you want to be around them.
Our stay there was so great that I know we are going to go back to visit again soon! The space is peaceful, tranquil and clean. While visiting we even stayed in one night and made dinner (after watching sunset at the beach, of course!). We took our dinner and wine upstairs to the large lanai and just enjoyed ourselves and the nature. Before booking the Gingerbread house I had booked a room at a big resort on the other side of the island. Shortly before the trip I saw Poni's place listed and cancelled our reservation at the way overpriced and manicured resort. I could not have been happier!
Paia itself is a sweet little town with friendly locals, great places to eat and shop:
- Mana Food for stocking up on all of your supplies
- Flatbread Company for great pizzas, salads, wine and service
- Mama's Fishouse (Reservations are a must!)
- The wine corner; small locally owned friendly, knowledgeable
Paia has excellent beaches, Baldwin is expansive and gorgeous, Ho’okipa is a must for sunset!
The Road to Hana and a drive to the summit of Haleakala are both easily accessed from Paia.
I can not say enough wonderful things about our stay there! Already looking forward to future visits!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Spyglass Maui Rentals are two, well cared for homes, right next door to each other, in the middle of all of the North Shore beaches and less than a mile from Paia town, in a local, residential neighborhood. The closest beach access is a 5 minute walk away. The houses are owned by a two good friends and long time Maui residents, Liam McCormick and Poni Brendan, who call themselves family. Our on-sight manager, Sabrina, and full time housekeeper, Patti are here to assist you. The rentals are clean, comfortable and will make you feel like you are spending time in a "home away from home" rather than in a resort hotel. The Gingerbread House, at the rear of the property, is a very unique, two story, one bedroom house with a lanai off the second floor bedroom and an outdoor patio on the ground level. It has a jetted tub in the first floor bathroom. The Green Turtle House can be rented as a ONE or TWO bedroom house and can accommodate up to 6 guests when rented as a TWO bedroom. In our older reviews and on Google there is mention of the Bicycle Inn/House and the beachfront "Spyglass House". These are no longer our properties. The Gingerbread House and Green Turtle House have been under new management since the fall of 2014. The most current reviews of our properties can be found on Airbnb and VRBO. In our rentals, we try to provide everything that you will need to enjoy your vacation and leave your cares at home. Our focus is to create a lovely environment so that our guests can have a wonderful base from which to enjoy their vacation and explore all that is beautiful and special about Maui. Please contact us if you need additional information or have specific questions. During your stay, we are on-site and happy to help. Mahalo! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Spyglass House Rentals Hotel Paia
- Spyglass Maui Rentals Paia, Hawaii