“Skyline”

Spyglass Maui Rentals
Ranked #3 of 3 Paia B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My son, daughter and I had a fabulous week staying in Maui at the Skyline. The view was great and the sweet sounds of nature permeated my ears each morning as I woke up. Liam was such a delight to get to know and helped us with anything we needed. Poni was so easy to work with on arrival and departure. The accommodations were very nice and had a homey feeling to them. I loved the location that gave e a feel of being "tucked away" and removed from the commercial district. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 October 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed the week we spent in the Yoga Studio apartment. It's super spacious and the bed was pretty good. The giant window is really beautiful, and it felt very private. (One note, there was no guest above us during our stay, so I can't comment on the sound from above.)

Poni came by with candles when the power was knocked out thanks to Tropical Storm Flossie. Any request we made, she addressed quickly. It's important to remember that you're not renting a hotel room. This is a vacation rental, and the kitchen was minimal. The cane spiders are harmless but certainly look creepy. If you can't handle them, definitely don't stay here, but if you can, I think it's a great deal.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Stayed at the Yoga Studio Room for a couple days. Absolute perfection. I would live in that room forever if I had the opportunity! The big round window with the swaying bamboo was my favorite thing to see first thing in the morning. Beautiful, clean, and in such a great location. Love love love!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I had not read the reviews here before my stay at the Gingerbread House. After reading some of the reviews my jaw dropped in disbelief.

I am sad to write this review! Sad because I am no longer in Paia in the Gingerbread house! My boyfriend and I spent a few days here and were totally in love with the place!

Poni and her assistant Brooke were so welcoming and helpful. The entire transaction was flawless, Brooke even called just to check and see if we needed anything.

The house is secluded and private, very clean and well stocked for guests. The yard is lush with fruit trees and I loved waking up to the sound of birds chirping every morning. Other guests had commented negatively on "not being able to find the driveway" Not a problem. The house is up a driveway on the back side of the property where I would much rather be than near the road. Other comments mentioned bugs. Well, yes. Maui is a tropical paradise, so yes, there are bugs. There is a helpful book we found on the counter that even described what a cane spider was and not to be worried if we saw one. We did in fact see some, which we just let be. Cane spiders are all around the island, they were not a pest at all. They don't want to be around you anymore than you want to be around them.

Our stay there was so great that I know we are going to go back to visit again soon! The space is peaceful, tranquil and clean. While visiting we even stayed in one night and made dinner (after watching sunset at the beach, of course!). We took our dinner and wine upstairs to the large lanai and just enjoyed ourselves and the nature. Before booking the Gingerbread house I had booked a room at a big resort on the other side of the island. Shortly before the trip I saw Poni's place listed and cancelled our reservation at the way overpriced and manicured resort. I could not have been happier!

Paia itself is a sweet little town with friendly locals, great places to eat and shop:
- Mana Food for stocking up on all of your supplies
- Flatbread Company for great pizzas, salads, wine and service
- Mama's Fishouse (Reservations are a must!)
- The wine corner; small locally owned friendly, knowledgeable

Paia has excellent beaches, Baldwin is expansive and gorgeous, Ho’okipa is a must for sunset!

The Road to Hana and a drive to the summit of Haleakala are both easily accessed from Paia.

I can not say enough wonderful things about our stay there! Already looking forward to future visits!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NJHOLLY77
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed at the yoga studio rental. It was an okay experience, but definitely somewhat of a bait and switch as they didn't state certain things up front.

Pros -- pretty space, nice and open. Clean. Bed was comfortable. Nice location. The pictures are accurate as to what you see.

Cons --
(1) GIANT SPIDERS. Apparently called cane spiders and they're HUGE -- I'm talking size of my palm tarantula sized spiders. And since the bathroom is outside, it was quite a harrowing experience to take a shower or use the toilet because they'd be nestled into the corners. Had I known this, I would not have rented the place. This was a huge fraud from my perspective - you've got to disclose something like that. According to the manager it was so bad that the folks before us couldn't stay. We considered leaving, but I didn't want to have to find last minute accommodations (and the huge price it would have cost us). I'm not sure if we came during a particularly spider friendly part of the year or what, but this was truly awful.

(2) Lots of noise from upstairs neighbor/guest. Luckily, overall he was on the quiet side, but there were more than a few nights when there was some heavy noises upstairs, so much so that it woke us up. It literally sounded like he was moving furniture at 4 am, and we have no idea what was actually going on (didn't hear voices, but a lot of pounding and banging)

(3) Only one set of linens provided. We were there for over a week and had to launder our own sheets. I don't expect a fresh set every day, but at least one other set per week. Who wants to go to Hawaii and clean their own sheets?

(4) Awkward/lack of furniture. I don't need much, but there wasn't any sort of sink with a mirror. I wasn't going to stay in the bathroom any longer than absolutely necessary due to the spiders, but there was no where to really get ready or to put your clothes. It would have been nice to have a little vanity table or something to get ready at as well as a dresser or some simple shelves to keep your clothes on/in instead of having to keep everything in your suit case or laid out on piles on the floor. A very minor thing, but definitely worth noting. They definitely have plenty of space for such things -- just don't have any pieces of furniture like that.

Needless to say, the spiders were a dealbreaker. Otherwise, I would have given this place 3 - 3.5 stars (not nice enough for 4 or 5). And we won't be coming back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank L M
SpyglassMauiRentals, Owner at Spyglass Maui Rentals, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Aloha Guests, The spider problem is not an issue right now, as the suger cane fields get harvested every two years and we are on the off year in our area. When they are ready to harvest, they turn off the irrigation, and the spiders rome from the fields to look for water, and toward the nice green lawns of our beautiful places. We do have all of our windows and doors sealed every year to keep all bugs out, but sometimes a guest leaves the door open, or something like that, and the cane spider can get in. They are very harmless, and in fact kind of beautiful, once you realize how harmless that they are. We do kill them when we see them, so that you don't have to.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

My family of three just spent a fabulous week at Spyglass Rentals' Gingerbread House near the lovely town of Paui. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, loved the comfy and cozy cottage, especially the upstairs bedroom which opens to a terrace in the trees. Fantastic location, 5 minutes from town, from beautiful Baldwin beach, from Mama's Fish House, and Ho'okipa where we hung out with sea turtles on the beach, from yoga, and great bars and restaurants. Also easy access to other beautiful areas of Maui as Paui is only 7 miles from the airport and the access to many other points, including beaches on the south side. We would definitely return to the Gingerbread House.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My boyfriend and I had a lovely stay at the Green Turtle house this August. Poni is a very attentive and helpful host, and the house was a really nice place to hang out and siesta during the hot afternooons, (unlike a hotel room where you don't want to do much more than sleep). We found ourselves hanging around the house more than expected because it was just so peaceful and cozy. There is a beautiful yard with fruit trees, and a couple of great nearby beaches. The street noise is a bit loud at times because of the proximity to Hana Highway, but I thought it was worth it to have a convenient walk to town. Paia is a really relaxed little town with a lot of good non-touristy dining options. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paia
Paia Inn
Nalu Kai Lodge
Nalu Kai Lodge
#3 of 6 in Paia
The Inn at Mama's Fish House

Been to Spyglass Maui Rentals? Share your experiences!