“No better surf experience in Maui!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Zack Howard Surf

Zack Howard Surf
Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No better surf experience in Maui!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just spent 10 days in Maui and wanted to get a full experience of surfing so we planned on going multiple times. We used Zack Howard Surf and it was an amazing experience. Brett Sherrin was our instructor each time and did a fantastic job. On day one he worked with my wife and I and she rode the first wave she attempted. We checked into other companies but this was the most personal experience available. The second and third trips were great as well. We stepped it up a notch and went to a different break on day 2. WE convinced our friends to try it on our third session and he commented that it was his highlight of the trip. First class instruction and service plus a great guy to spend time in the water with. I would recommend them to anyone I know traveling to Maui.

Visited March 2014

“Great Day Surfing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

This is our second family trip to Hawaii and our first family surf lesson. Weather was perfect and surf was perfect for beginners ( constantly rolling in 1-3 ft surf) Perfect day for us all to learn. The class size is kept small (3-4) and for us it was a private family lesson.

My wife, my son (10), my daughter (12) and myself ( 38). Brett was our instructor and from the first greeting we were all at ease(my wife thought we would be fighting big surf and having to all go big) After a short shore lesson, we paddled out ( much easier than it would seem), and I caught my first wave within 2 minutes of getting to our spot. We all got up on our first rides and the fun was off to a great start. Brett was incredibly positive and a laid back motivator. He makes it a great experience. You can surf as many or as few of waves as you want, but they really have scouted a great location.

We surfed for a solid 1 1/2 and as our bodies started to wear down,so did our lesson, and we all rode back to shore. Just in time for Lunch.

I would highly recommend them, and ask for Brett if you are in Maui. I have a feeling this family is off to a surfing future together. Thank you and Mahalo Zack and Brett.

Beirut, Lebanon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best experience ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

My Maui friend signed me and my travel buddy up for this lesson, and from all the things we did during our two week vacation this was by far the best. We all rode plenty of waves, were only on the beach for 10 min before we got out on the water and had the time of our lives. Zack was so friendly and patient, I can't rave about our lesson enough. Next time I'm in Maui, I'll definitely want to book a few lessons in again. Thanks Zack for such a great introduction to surfing!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank hibzshaw
Parker, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Zach Howard is the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2013

Zach's surf lesson was the best. I chose Zach because of his "off the beat" location and experience, and it turned out to be the right choice. I have taken two surf lessons previously, and the instructors could not identify what I was doing wrong. It took Zack one time watching me to explain what I needed to correct. After that I rode every wave with confidence. I will definitely take another lesson from Zach the next time I am in Maui. Zach does provide rash guards, so no need to buy one if you don't alreaady own one.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Melanie R
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gnarly instructor! More like your own Surfing Buddy!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

The only thing I "HAD" to do in Maui was get a private surfing lesson from Zack Howard Surf. Bret was my instructor but he really felt more like my surfing buddy! Never having surfed before he quickly gave me all the "Key" info and tips and we where in the water in less than 10 min. I popped up and was surfing on my very first try! So fast that my wife wasn't expecting I'd be up from the very start and missed some great photos.

Bret was such a great instructor and knew his stuff well. He was able to see and determine my skill level as I started catching my own waves after the 2nd or 3rd set and adjust the lesson to fit. We had a southern swell that day which meant slightly larger wave sets would roll in. He help and taught me how to spot the the better waves/sets. I think I caught a total of 8 waves that day before my arms burnt out from paddling (I swear he had a motor in his board, he was paddling out so fast. Then we switch boards so I could try the smaller board...nope no motor in that board either). And when my arms burnt out entirely....he paddled us both out for one last good one!! Just Awesome!!

Visited May 2013