“Nice place for family”

Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Luna Place
Description: Paia maintains its small-town, old Hawaii charm, and is now a bustling destination with restaurants, bars, shopping, coffee and gelato. At Charley’s you never know who might be sitting next to you. It’s long been a favorite hang-out for surfers, adventurers, writers, hippies, rock stars, artists, business leaders, celebrities, and all types, looking to get away and find the ultimate in Maui hospitality.
colorado
“Nice place for family”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stopped here for lunch one day--all 11 of us. The food and atmosphere were decent. Prices reasonable for island fare. Would stop by again.

Visited June 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I'm happy to hear you liked us so much, Jerry. Good food, a fun atmosphere, and reasonable prices are what we're all about, and it's great to hear you were so satisfied. Thanks again for this great review -- I hope you'll stop in again if you're ever back on Maui!

Best,

New York City, New York
“Go for the pancakes”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Buttermilk pancakes at $5 each are the size of a dinner plate. One is enough. They are served with traditional maple syrup or coconut syrup - both are very good. If you are in the mood for pancakes go to Charley's.

• Visited May 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Glad to hear you're such a fan of our huge, delicious pancakes, Elaine! Here's hoping you'll visit us from New York again sometime soon for more!

California
“Good enough”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Abundant breakfast portions, with a (single) macadamia nut pancake that’s probably the equivalent of three standard pancakes anywhere else. The place looks a bit, worn, shall we say? But that's in keeping with the character of Pai’a and its old, historical buildings.

Visited May 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Glad you liked your breakfast so much! Those pancakes are pretty huge, I have to agree. (And delicious, if I do say so myself.)

We are a fairly old school, no frills kind of place, but we're glad to see that you think we fit into the atmosphere of Paia so well. Our building was built in 1926!!

That said, if there's anything you thought we could have done better, don't hesitate to reach out. We're always looking to improve, and we always appreciate constructive feedback.

Thanks again for stopping in and for leaving this review -- hope we see you again next time you visit Maui!

Seattle, Washington
“Good Lunch spot?”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

we had a party of 5 stop in,the place had only 3 other patrons and it took awhile to get acknowledged with menu's etc.I guess its just '' the island way''. The beers was cold,the drinks wew weak that we had to buy shots to bolster the mai-tais and the food was ok.One leaves with the ''ok been here ,done that''.It must have been shift change in the kitchen as the off going cook had his sock and crocs on .gets off shift sits at the bar in flip-flops and his dirty greasy socks hanging out his back pocket..hello folks are eating here..lol

• Visited May 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
I'm glad you liked it here overall, Rico, though I'm disappointed to see a few of your comments. I'm sorry to hear that it took a little while longer than it should have for you to be served, but I'm particularly disappointed that you were put off by the cook's socks. You should only expect cleanliness from every member of our staff, and we'll make sure to address this in the future. I see you're based in Seattle, but I hope you'll come see us again next time you're in Hawaii.

Best,
King City, Canada
“Not all it's cracked up to”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We were disappointed, it did not impress us. It felt like a road house sport bar and was not what we were looking for. Food was ok, like a road house fried food place.

Visited May 2014
Jonathan H, Owner at Charley's Restaurant, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
I'm sorry that we weren't what you were expecting, Kelly. I'm glad to see you at least enjoyed your food, but we never want anyone to be disappointed when they come to us, and I regret that you were. Most of our guests enjoy the laid-back atmosphere, but we know it's not for everyone. I see you're based in Canada, but I hope you'll give us another chance if you're ever back in Hawaii.