“Meal or Dessert first, Always a difficult choice.”
Review of Moana Bakery & Cafe - CLOSED

Moana Bakery & Cafe
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway
Transit: Bus - 35 - Haiku Islander. Get off in Paia and walk up Baldwin Avenue.
New York City, New York
“Meal or Dessert first, Always a difficult choice.”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Definitely consider the daily specials. The regular menu selections and specials will appeal to many different tastes. The atmosphere is casual, yet friendly. I confess that the desserts are always a temptation for me. Highly recommend you plan accordingly and save some room for a sweet treat. Parking can be a challenge depending on what time of day you try to park. It's just around the corner from the main drag, so there are several parking options. I always think of the walk as a good excuse for dessert indulgence. We've only eaten Lunch but really enjoyed our meal. Definitely will return when we're their around mealtime. Don't forget, a coffee and dessert can also be a treat and break from seeing the local sites.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Dee L

Pacifica
“Delicious Food”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Moana Bakery & Cafe is really a wonderful full service restaurant. We stopped in for breakfast before starting our journey on the beautiful Road to Hana. Breakfast was delicious. I ordered scrambled eggs, bacon, and cheese on a croissant with home fries. The croissant was amazing and set the meal apart from similar breakfast sandwiches. Upon our return from Hana, we decided to have dinner at the Moana Cafe. This meal was the highlight of restaurants on our trip. I ordered a pasta dish with vegetables and miso butter. I never had miso butter before, but it was delicious. This was my favorite meal in a restaurant in a long time. I have been trying to duplicate it without luck. We finished off by sharing the special of the day cake. It was a Hawaiian version of a German Chocolate cake and it was devine. They have an extensive bar.

• Visited June 2013
The Dalles, Oregon
“Twice Blessed”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

When we made the loop Drive to Hana we started with breakfast at the Moana Café and ended with dinner there--blessing us twice in one day! Everything was very fresh and well prepared. The restaurant proudly creates entrees that feature locally grown or raised ingredients, and they have an excellent chef.
I had ribs done with a cinnamon/tamarind sauce that melted off the bone. The unique sauce was the perfect complement to the meat and didn't overpower it.
The next time we are in Maui, we will definitely eat here again.

• Visited July 2013
Seoul, South Korea
“Delicious, Innovative food!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I've eaten here a few times now and it's my favorite place to eat in Paia. Their dinner meals kick butt! Fun appetizers and side dishes like seaweed salad. Killer local dish called Ulu luau which is like a mild coconut curry with breadfruit and taro leaves served with taro chips. Went for lunch and had bibimbap! Breakfast was lilikoi cream french toast! Yeah, it's pretty much the only place I eat out at in Paia. Almost forgot, the bartender gave me and my friend free second cocktails :)

Visited May 2013
Simi Valley, California
“Beautiful Presentation .... but ....”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Stopped in to pick up some pastries for breakfast on our way back from Mama's fish House dinner around 7:30 p.m.. Restaurant is under new ownership (big banner out front). Not too many people inside dining and I had heard this place used to be very busy. Choose a raspberry chocolate pastry, a chocolate croissant, and a coconut filled pastry. The Pastries LOOKED delicious ..... but, when we had them in the morning with coffee, the chocolate croissant turned out to be a plain croissant with chocolate glaze on top. The coconut pastry (which I was really looking forward to) was dry with not very much filling - basically shredded coconut. The raspberry chocolate was the best of the bunch - what seemed like raspberry jam with small shreds of chocolate. Disappointing when the flavor does not live up to the presentation. Did not eat a meal here so can not comment of dining IN. Another night we ate at Paia Fish Market - which was packed - standing room only. Moana had 2 tables of people eating. We decided all those people must know something we don't. Would be interested to hear how dining here is with new owners. Pastry case was a disappointment.

• Visited June 2013