“Perfect informal meal in Paia”
Review of Paia Fish Market

Paia Fish Market
Ranked #4 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We dined here as a small group after a day full of activities, so we're looking for a fast, cheap and sizable meal. We were not disappointed. You order your food at counter, grab a seat on bench (small place so be wary to find seats as place is packed) and 8 min later you have a good sized portion meal. We had the fish tacos and mahi mahi entrees. All excellent and hit the spot. Best part was that the entire meal (4 entrees) cost less than $80.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Pain is a nice little town and a tourist dream or nightmare, depending on you style. We enjoyed it a lot, but the highlight was Paia Fish Market. Obviously very popular with the lines that form, this quaint semi-open-air restaurant is casual, affordable, and delicious. Our party had several items from pasta dish to salads to fish and chips...all great. Only the cole slaw did not score well. You order at the counter and they call your name...don't let that put you off.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Corner location in a surfer/hippie/alternative lifestyle small town on a very busy highway (to Hana). Shortly after noon. parking was a problem, even with the free lot provided by the town that was several blocks away. I had to call 911 to report some shady looking types that were moving suspiciously through the parked cars, possibly to break in while the occupants were away. Once in the restaurant the atmosphere was a free-for-all to order and find a spot at the indoor picnic tables. Food was good and it was nice to talk to others at the table who were total strangers with interesting stories. My grilled mahi sandwich was tasty and filling. Cole slaw had a nice dill kick to it. If you are headed that way, worth a stop, but lock your car and hide any valuables.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've been back several more times since my first review. I ordered the Cajun-style Mahi dinner ($23.95) and it was the best meal I've ever had on this island (in 6 years of semi-annual visits!). The piece of fish was very large, perfectly seasoned, fresh, and perfectly cooked. Magnificent. I almost regretted the bag of gold I spent at Mama's the night before - this was eminently more smile-inducing. The Cajun rice was a nice complement, and the cole slaw is always good.

I've also had the fish & chips, fish burgers, and fish tacos. All will leave you happy. But go for the fish dinner.

1  Thank Christopher R
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Chaotic and crowded but delicious. We ate here after a busy day driving upcountry. Noisy and crowed with a stressed out staff. We thought it best to get out order to go. The dinner plate is best because the sandwiches are kinda plain and bread-y. Great fish, though!