“Excellent meal”
Review of Mama's Fish House

Mama's Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Washington
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We ate here for Mother's Day dinner. It was the first time I had been there. The location was fabulous. Tucked in a cove with views of the ocean but protected from the winds. The open air restaurant was beautiful. Service was attentive and prompt.
The entrees were wonderful. Fresh fish and where and who caught it was listed on the menu. Cooked perfectly and the sauces complimented the fish very well. The only disappointment was my fresh green salad. Very little dressing which I usually like but it was bland so it was almost like not having any dressing at all. The tomato salad my mother had was excellent.
Prices were reasonable for an upscale restaurant. Overall a very good experience and excellent meal. We will be back.

Visited May 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lexington, Kentucky
“Delicious and beautiful”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We went to Mama’s for lunch. We were in Maui for a week and called our first day there, a Friday, for a reservation for an early dinner. There were no openings for dinner through the weekend or on Monday night. As I recall there was a late dinner opening for Tuesday. We ended up with a 1:30 lunch reservation for Monday. I think we got there about 1p. It is valet parking only. I am explaining this part so readers are aware that reservations need to be made well in advance. I don’t recommend going without a reservation, altho’ we were told we could come and wait??? We didn’t have any problem with the valet parking but just include this for information.
The setting is beautiful just a hundred or so feet from the ocean on a little bay. We enjoyed the view and walked around a bit while waiting. The restaurant building and décor is eclectic and elegant. It would have been fun and interesting to have the opportunity to spend some time checking it all out. I thought the setting and décor made our wonderful meal even better. No other restaurant’s setting and décor was up to Mama’s.
We were seated fairly promptly. Our server Henry was friendly and helpful. He was prompt with getting drinks and refills etc. I had a delicious drink a “coconut mint refresher.” My husband opted for tea. He had a salad and I had ceviche appetizer. The ceviche was delicious and the portion was generous. I wished I had gotten something smaller and the dressing had a very strong flavor that was too much about half way through. My husband had the ahi. It was wonderful!!! I had stuffed fish which was recommended as a house favorite. It was excellent, but wish I’d had the tuna. We split a banana crisp dessert. (No dinner for us that night!)
There are lots of interesting and tasty sounding items on the menu. At about $220 with tip we would probably not visit here on our next trip to Maui. There are many other restaurants to try. However, I would recommend that you go once. Consider it a special occasion, if like us $220 is very high end, or you could economize by having an appetizer instead of an entrée. I’m glad we went during the day because we’d have missed the view and perhaps some of interesting things in the restaurant décor and structure wouldn’t be as visible at night.

Aother note, Henry told us there is no difference in the menu for lunch and dinner

• Visited March 2014
San Francisco, California
“Simply one of the best restaurants in the world.”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have eaten in great restaurants all over the world--Top 50s, Michelin 3 Stars, 2 Stars, 1 Stars; and they are generally wonderful experiences. What you should know is that Mama's Fish House ranks right up there with them! The food, decor, service and setting all work together to produce and extraordinary dining experience. I have dined at Mama's many times over the past 20 years, and in recent years I realized that this is truly a great restaurant. It is not close to any of the resort centers in Maui, but it is so worth the trip. Their fish is some of the best I have had anywhere in the world. Go there. Try it. You will be amazed.

• Visited June 2013
Houston, TX
“Fantastic!!!!!!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Upon landing in Maui, we headed to Mama's Fish House upon the recommendation of my boss & so glad we did!!! The only thing better than the food & cocktails was the amazing view. We didn't have a reservation (which I highly recommend) but the waitstaff was very accommodating & gave us a nice table just after a short wait. And really, who minds a bit of a wait while in paradise?? It's a bit pricey but you get what you pay for with wonderfully fresh entrees & excellent waitstaff. We would make a return visit for sure!!!

• Visited April 2014
Gilbert, AZ
“BEST meal on Maui!”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We ate at Mama's for my birthday this year, and have been talking about it ever since. This was without a doubt the best meal we had on the island during the week we were there. They print the menu each day, and add the information about each of their fresh fish - the name of the fisherman, the boat, and where it was caught. Can't get any fresher than that! We started with the lobster guacamole with taro and sweet potato chips and the sashimi trio, which was melt in your mouth delicious and unbelievably fresh. I had the lobster and crab stuffed Mahi, and my hubby had the Opah - both were outstanding. As decadent as my Mahi was, I almost liked the taste of the Opah better. I'm so glad that we got two dishes so that we could try both! For dessert we shared a scoop of their homemade coffee ice cream. The vintage cocktails were just OK - super expensive and not really noteworthy, although the glass they served the Mai Tai in was really cute. My drink of choice that night was the Relaxer. I can't wait to eat at Mama's again the next time we're on the island!

• Visited May 2014