“Well why did we wait so long to dine here?”
Review of Mama's Fish House

Mama's Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, View, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had an amazing evening at Mama's. Two waiters, two tables, 12 people. 12 awesome dinners, beautiful Leonetti wine, perfect (well almost) service, beautiful and delicious desserts in a Hawaiian paradise setting on the beach. Doesn't get any better than this and we have passed up this restaurant for years. Can't believe it and am beating myself up that we had only one opportunity this time to have dinner there. That won't be the case next visit. Way to go Devon and Brad. You guys rock as servers. Thank you!! The Lovin Family

Write a ReviewReviews (11,438)

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I would say this is a good, high quality restaurant. However, I believe it was far overpriced. I think I could have purchased a similar dinner on the mainland for about 66% of the price. Would not consider it a must-see.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was our favorite place we dined during our trip. The view was a nice touch to dinner, since we were placed on the outside area of the restaurant. We sat down and noticed a nice note at the table welcoming us for our anniversary dinner. The food was amazing, especially the shrimp won ton appetizer. Our main dish was the stuffed mahi mahi (amazing!!). Both my wife and I had it. We highly recommend making a reservation in advance for this place, it gets super busy!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We found this place on accident one day while going off the beaten track. It was Sunday lunchtime and didn't think we would get a table but was pleasantly surprised to get in. Parking is valet, which is a good thing, it is a tight little parking area. The view is like none other! Everyone I told about Mama's Fish House was hit with gushing stories of the open air dining on one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen. Service was very attentive. Food was good. But then there is the price. It is one of the most expensive meals I have ever paid for in Maui, and one of them was on a boat on a sunset cruise.

If you don't mind high prices then you will love the exotic looking drinks. I say looking because they are beautiful to see, complete with flowers. But I feel they are way overpriced for guava juice and Tito's vodka. Tito's is made in Texas and a local staple here in Houston. If you want to have gorgeous looking Mai Tai it will please the eye for sure.

The menu is like no other menu, it will be hard to decide what to order! My husband had the wild boar with tiny little side dishes, and I had the Tristan Island lobster tails. I ordered them because I don't know when I would be able to try Tristan Island lobster tails again. Are they better than lobsters from Maine or Bahamas or Australia? I would have to say no. Was not blown away. Over all the food was good, portions were average to small. Although they are culinary unique, I don't think it matched the price.

It is obviously a very popular spot, and if you are celebrating a special occasion then Mama's Fish House it s the place for wonderful views and a happy memorable time. It has the Olive Garden mystery to me. I am baffled as to why people stand and wait over an hour for a table at Olive Garden, but yet people seem to do it. If you do not want to pay a lot for a meal but want to check out what all the hubbub is about, stop in for an appetizer and a drink, or perhaps dessert.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Last week, my family and I were winding up a terrific vacation in Hawaii. We love to eat local cuisine when we travel, but we had all but given up on "Hawaiian cuisine" when we tripped across Mama's. We were admittedly ignorant of the reputation before seeing it as we traversed the road to Hana. We stopped in for a late lunch and for what became a truly memorable dining experience. The setting is stunning. The restaurant décor is so eclectic and artsy that it is hard to focus on the menu at first. The service is exceptional. Finally, the food redeemed every mediocre dining experience we had during our trip. Mama's is simply outstanding.

CAUTION: The restaurant is pricey, so don't go if the price is going to ruin the experience. It is Hawaii, though, so relax and enjoy the experience of Mama's.