“A great family lunch experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mama's Fish House

Mama's Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, View, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Canberra, Australia
“A great family lunch experience”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We booked into Mama's for lunch on Independence Day 2014. The restaurant has a relaxed, soothing ambience. Afghan carpets on the floors, various historic trinkets, including auger blades from the sugar era, and polished wooden yacht hulls and sails suspended from the roof. It could be cheesy, but somehow it works beautifully.

We all ordered non-alcoholic cocktails for drinks. Strawberry guava fizzes went down very nicely, as did a Kuau Cooler (with cranberry juice) and a pineapple juice for the 5 year old of the party.

The meal started with small wonderful home-baked loaves of bread. There was a taster of pasta with parsley and ginger. We shared appetisers of a fresh, soft trio of sashimi and beautifully tender wasabi-crusted calamari. For mains we had a Panang Fish and vegetable curry with condiments; the signature lobster-stuffed fish; sauteed Ono with mushrooms, wine wine and capers; and Ahi with coconut rice. The baby had crumbed fish and rice with veggies. It was all fantastically delicious.

There was a complimentary sweet coconut jelly to finish. Lovely.

Throughout the meal, the service was fantastic - friendly but unobtrusive - led by Jensen, our "server". And, we had the best seat in the house.

Mama's is not cheap, but as a treat (and given that we've come from Tokyo), it's not outrageously expensive either. Five of us got out of there for something like USD70 per head including tip.

Overall, 4000-odd Trip Adviser reviews, the vast majority of them strongly positive, tell the story. This place is a 'must do' at least once in Maui. Strongly recommended.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Andy M

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
“A destination for great food, but at a high price.”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Mama's Fish House is amazing. The food is wonderful every time we go. The setting is the most picture perfect Hawaiian lagoon, you would think that Gilligan and the Professor will show up any minute. The crazy part is that it has got to be the most successful spot on the island and it is in the middle of nowhere, as far from the tourist areas as you could get. I always wonder how the owner decided on this location, and yet its always packed.

On our most recent trip we shared the Lemongrass fish soup with corn and it was devine. They make fresh bread for every take and it is so yummy.

Be warned, the lunch menu is basically the same as dinner, so the portions so you leave well fed.

I love and almost always get their famous Mahimahi stuffed with crab and lobster in a macadamia nut crust. It comes with veggies and rice. The Curry dish is also very good. We also got the whole fried fish, its so great, a great feast for one person, or enought to share if you get another side dish.

The only downside of Mama's is the price. At lunch, one starter, one cocktail, and our two entrees lunch came to $200 with tax and tip. Dinner is almost always at least $250 for two people.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank AdventureTravelerEM
Orlando, FL
“A must while in Maui”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

This was by far our most expensive meal during a two week plus visit in Hawaii. With that said I still consider this place a must do while in Maui. The setting is so beautiful but the food. . . Well that's why you come here.

We started with grilled octopus and it probably was the best I've ever had. I ordered the mahi mahi and ono in a curry coconut sauce. Wow! My husband had the pork with island prawns and it was delicious. The pork was moist and tasty. For dessert we shared a chocolate pie.

Service was outstanding! Our waitress was probably the best we've had in years. Her attention, service and friendliness is what you would expect from a place like this, but she went above and beyond. Mamas fish House should be on your must do list when you visit Maui.

Chicago, Illinois
“Extravagant Food at Extravagant Prices”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Visited Maui for the first time last month and heard so many people tell us that we had to dine at Mama's Fish House, so our group of 4 (two couples) went there for dinner!

Let me start out by saying that the atmosphere of this restaurant was excellent--it is beautiful--very large, right on the beach, tables inside in a sort of open air area, as well as outdoor seating. Also, the service was impeccable--for the 4 of us, we must have had at least 6 or more people attending to us.

As this is a fish restaurant, the menu not only lists the preparation of the item, but also tells you the fisherman who caught it and the area it came from. The fish was very fresh tasting and was prepared excellently. Each of us had a different item and all of them were very good. We also shared an appetizer of lobster guacamole (chunks of lobster in fresh guacamole) and wasabi crusted fried calamari---both very well worth the choice!

However, beware that with such beautiful ambience and some of the freshest fish around comes a large price tag! Our dinner for 4 which included appetizers, dinner, a round of cocktails, and one dessert split amongst the four of us was $570 with tip. Was it worth it? Yes and no---am I glad I went there---yes, in my opinion it was a definite must see while in Maui, did I enjoy my experience and dinner--yes, I most certainly did---do I need to dine there again---probably not!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Dawn G G
“Awesome Experience!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We went to Mama's on our honeymoon after my mom recommended we do so after seeing it on the Food Network. I'm so glad she saw it! We were staying in Lahaina, about 45 minutes away from Mama's Fish House, so without her recommendation, we probably would never have ventured out there. Thanks, Mom!

The restaurant's location and ambiance is phenomenal! It is exactly what you picture beachside dinning in Hawaii to be. The service was beyond outstanding. Our waiter was very knowledgable about the menu and the different fish offerings, helping me to make my choice. My husband, who doesn't like seafood, had quite a few options to pick from. The waiter assured him his choice, the short ribs, was a great one and he wouldn't be disappointed. He was not! I'm not a drinker and opted for just water. My glass was never half empty (major props to the young man there!).

Dessert was out of this world! Don't miss your chance to try the passion fruit creme brûlée! Best thing I've eaten in Maui!

Well worth the price as a splurge!