“Best ahi ever!”
Review of Mama's Fish House

Mama's Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Romantic, View, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Reviewed 18 July 2014

A great place to have a fabulous meal! The food here is nothing short of outstanding - simply the best preparation of ahi I've ever tasted, and everything else was also spectacular. Contrary to some other reviews, we found our server and the other help there to be pleasant and professional, who went the extra mile in delivering service. The view and setting are marvelous. True, the prices are high (about $300 for a family of two adults and two kids), but you should be able to figure that out before you go - if you want cheap prices, go to Denny's. If you want a memorable meal, make sure you get to Mamas!

There are newer reviews for Mama's Fish House

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful spot. Open air dining with overhead fans wherever there is a ceiling and a breeze from the ocean. We were greeted by friendly staff and our server was excellent and offered to take our pictures. Poor girl had to deal with my slr with fixed portrait lens.
They treated my 5 year old well and she had a kid menu and crayons.
They first brought out complimentary poppyseed bread and tiny cups of cream of mushroom soup both of which were delicious. Then came my Hawaiian ceviche - omg! The mango and onion and kaffir lime complemented the fish perfectly. My wife got the mushrooms with goat cheese which she loved. My entire was the 3 fish penang curry which came with sides of roasted macadamia, sambal, apple bananas, and pickled mangos. The curry was mild, rich, and fragrant so I used a lot of sambal. The macadamia was interesting although I prefer the more typical peanuts. There were mushrooms and some other veggies in the curry. There wasn't much rice but I couldn't finish it anyway as it was so rich and there were 3 sizable portions of fish. My wife got the fish stuffed with lobster which was very good but again we could not finish. My daughter got the beef short ribs with teriyaki sauce which wasn't really a kids meal but she loved it. I did too.
Overall the meal was excellent with the appetizers being some of the best food we've ever tasted. The short ribs were also excellent.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

There's not much for me to add since the reviews are all very positive and I am in agreement with most. The food is sublime and the cost certainly reflects this. What is so special though, is the setting. We went here on the first night of our honeymoon and I couldn't have pictured a more romantic setting. The restaurant is nestled into the shore and has it's own private beachfront which offers spectacular sunset views - so go for dinner or you're missing out! You will never forget your meal here.
Lastly I would recommend trying the ceviche appetizer. The desserts are not quite as spectacular - a bit on the heavy side - but still nothing to complain about.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This place is crazy expensive for the quality and quantity of the food. We didn't know that before that the prices are extremely high. For 2 people it cost us $280 without any wine bottles. We had 2 drinks each costing $15 each. I’m a vegetarian who doesn’t eat fish. People who say they are vegetarians but eat fish are not vegetarians. Though, the place accommodated me with Tofu and vegetables which was good but not worth $46. The dishes are made simple, not too many ingredients so not sure why they are charging an arm and a leg. Yes, the views are fantastic but its Maui, of course the views are great.

I wouldn’t go to this place again because I don’t think it is worth the money when the dishes are so tiny.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We went there for lunch before heading on the road to Hana. Probably not the best move if you want to do the entire drive (we stopped at mile marker 15 and headed back...but I don't think we missed anything). The view was unbelievable, as was the food and service. The poke appetizer was delicious. It was a pricey lunch, but we knew that going in. Definitely a must stop for the delicious food and amazing atmosphere/service.