“Touristy, but a very good experience”
Review of Mama's Fish House

Mama's Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Mama's Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, View, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hana Highway - Turn Left at the fishing boat
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I arrived here quite early due to few free tables, which i actually think was good. Around 5 p.m. the restaurant was not too crowded and my excellent waiter (whose name i unfortunately can't remember) was helpful and attentive. For starters i had grilled papaya with beef sirloin which was excellent, for main I had a whole grilled snapper like island fish. The fish itself was well prepared and succulent, however the sauce was for me a little disappointing. I also had dessert and a great coffee from the rainforest area on the island. I paid around 120 dollars for the meal, spent one and a half hour. All in all i think it was worth it. If you want a local food experience and looking to celebrate something special while on the island I recommend this place.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

This was my third visit to Maui but my first to the oft-recommended Mama's. Sub-par for both service and food. Lovely view, but we had that at several (better) restaurants in Lahaina. My appetizer arrived before my wine. Only two non-seafood options for my daughter who will not eat anything from the ocean and her portion was tiny. My ceviche appetizer was outstanding, in all fairness, but my entree and my husband's were mediocre, as was his wasabi encrusted calamari. Fairly flavorless. My red wine arrived chilled. The service was pleasant but not particularly helpful. For those of you who may be familiar with old-time Philadelphia, I felt like I was at bookbinders - always recommended by tourist guides and hotels but locals know better than to bother. Lahaina Grill was soooooo much better.

2  Thank Beth H
Reviewed 25 August 2014

A great location, very good fish, and a great ambiance.

Went there for the first time in 1983 and it brought back great memories.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

It's expensive but if you are willing to fork over some cash for an enjoyable dining experience then you are gonna love this place. Heck you are already in Maui so you might as well splurge! Just so you get an idea of how good this place is, you should know that my hubby hates fish. He hates all of it and won't touch any of it. But my hubby is also a reasonable man and open to new things. And because everyone and I mean everyone we knew, who had been to Maui, said we had to go here "because the fish was so amazing," my husband decided to do something he rarely does and order the fish.

So he not only ordered the fish but he loved it! Told the waiter we needed something that was light and not too fishy nor not too textured and whalla, hubby got the perfect fish. It was like the fish just jumped out of the ocean and onto the plate. It was just that delectable. Not only did hubby enjoy his fish but the 6 other people dining with us that night enjoyed every single morsal served to them from appy's, to salad, to entree to dessert. Have I mentioned the cocktails are fabulous?! We came for a special occasion, a thank you dinner for our parents who supported our choice to get married in Maui and it was truly a night we all enjoyed. Great service, great food and great fun! Can't wait to go back again and maybe even maybe stay at their inn.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

The ambience is Hawaii-chic. The drinks are pretty good. The views from the courtyard and the restaurant are both extraordinary. However, the food is very expensive and I would eat before going there as this is a nice place for an occasion but too pricey for a real meal