“Great stop after sunset at Haleakala ”

Rock and Brews Paia
Ranked #13 of 41 Restaurants in Paia
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great stop after sunset at Haleakala ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped here on our way back from sunset at the crater because my husband is a huge beer fan. They have around 50 beers on tap and even more in bottles. The giant pretzel was amazing and so were the Asian chicken wings. We ate at the bar and the bartenders were amazing. So glad we stopped here.

“Greasy!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stopped in after a bike ride down Haleakala. The service was great but the burgers and the pizzas we're brutal!! Just dripping with grease. Couldn't even finish my pizza. My advice would be Cafe Mambo even if there is a line up. I would not go back to Gene and Paul's place.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Howpow
jaseanh, General Manager at Rock and Brews Paia, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Howpow,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our restaurant. I would like to personally apologize for your dining experience here at Rock & Brews Paia. We take great pride in our customer service and food quality and the fact that you had a less than desirable experience is something that I just can't tolerate. I would like to invite you and a guest back to give us another try and to turn your thoughts around--on us. I simply ask that if your next meal is better then your last and that you have an outstanding experience that you update your review. Please contact me directly, so that I may personally oversee your visit. Have a great week!

Kind regards,
Ja Sean Hall
Rock & Brews Paia
jasean.paia@rockandbrews.com
Los Osos, California
“Outdoor lunch spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

We happened on this new restaurant and decided to try it out. Lots of seating with open sides so it was cool and comfortable on a hot day. Waitress and wait staff were friendly and attentive. We had the fish tacos which came with a colorful and tasty fruit salsa, sweet with a little heat. It was perfect for lunch stop. We will be back.

• Visited May 2014
Paia, Hawaii
“Blah..... Another chain on Maui”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Another chain of sub-par boring food, and over priced beers on our unique funky island town of Pa'ia. Bleck. Go back to the mainland. My friends and I have lived on the Northshore for many, many years. We don't go out often because it's just too expensive to regularly, but when we do go out those few times a month, we liked to sniff out the killer deals, good atmosphere, hear some live music, and enjoy some good grinds.

All the hype about Gene Simmons and Paia town concerned with him bringing a mainland chain to our island home aside, and the stink about the permits, blah blah..... (don't worry, my friends are and I are HUGE rockers from way back, so we had mixed feelings about this restaurant coming). About a week or two after Rock And Brews opened up a group of 6 of us went to walk in. The "gatekeeper" (hostess) said there was no room for us and we could wait an hour to get in. We looked inside and saw there were two ends of picnic tables unoccupied, and we told her we'd be cool to split our party up into two and just have some beers and relax nearby each other. She said no we had to wait. We said, OK we'll go to Charley's like usual, and we did with no problem and had a great time there like usual, with $3 PBRs and good food and friends and a reasonable bill.

About 2 weeks ago our same group of friends wanted to check out R and B again, so we all said OK let's go and see what it's all about, and hopefully they will let us in this time. We had heard the beer was good, but overpriced, and the food was not good. There was 7-10 of us trickling in a couple at a time over a couple hours, so there was no problem getting in this time. The sun happened to be low in the sky, so we had the sun directly in our faces for about an hour, getting hot, sweaty and slightly irritated. There are no blinds they pull down to block it. Some people ordered pupus (BORING and tasteless), and we all were stoked to sample the huge beer selection. I wanted to sample the 4 beer (flights?), but every sample plate selection had an unappealing beer in it (which was super disappointing and I wished they offered a "mix n match" type of deal, but they don't), so I opted for 3 beers over the course of the night. The beers I chose were good, but my bill was over $24, and I paid it and we all vowed to never go back again. Our rears had sweated completely through our shorts after the couple hours in there from the uncomfortable picnic bench wooden seats and sitting in the sun for that long. Gross. We still will stick to Milagros for happy hour or Charley's.

Blah. Bleck. Boring. Unexciting. Sterile. Nothing impressive at all. Mostly filled with tourists, we felt like we could have been sitting in any mainland uninteresting restaurant doing the same thing. Our waitress (not sure her name) was AWESOME. On it super good. The most entertaining part of the experience was gluing our eyes to the big screen playing old skool videos that we would reminisce about. I'm guessing that is what they want you to do, glue to the music and talk about it, so that part worked I guess. But staring at a huge video screen for 2 hours was the only thing halfway cool about this place, and I don't really like staring at machinery.

The most UNinteresting and actually shocking thing about this place is that they don't even have live music/bands playing here! They are called Rock and Brews for crying out loud! BORING.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank Maui N
Smithville, Missouri
“Great atmosphere, very good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

After a week in Maui we had time to kill before our late night flight home so we visited the town of Paia intending to eat at the Fish Market. It was packed and we remembered our dive boat crew recommending Rock and Brews so we gave it a try. The atmosphere is open air and fun, the service was excellent. Our waitress was very attentive and helpful. The owner even made his way around to talk to people. The price is exceptional for Maui and the portions were huge. Two of our group of 6 ordered personal pizzas that were very large for one person and it was some of the best pizza we'd eaten. The chicken sandwich was almost too big to handle but was cooked perfectly, had great flavor and very juicy. The beer selection is incredible. We would highly recommend this restaurant. We're just sorry we didn't find it sooner because we'd have eaten there more often!

• Visited June 2014

Been to Rock and Brews Paia? Share your experiences!