“Really enjoyed our stay here!”

Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel
Edmonton, Canada
“Really enjoyed our stay here!”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This place is really great for quite a few reasons:
1. The free tours are really good. I thought since they were free they might be done very poorly, but they are commercial quality if not better, and cost nothing!
2. The staff is so great here. They are so nice and accommodating and will always make sure you're enjoying your stay.
3.The dorms are max 4 or 6 people which is a good cause its not to big.
4.The dorms, towels, sheets etc are all very clean.
5. The atmosphere is really great here. Everyone just hangs out and cooks food, plays pool/poker, goes in the hot tub and become friends.

All in all we very much so enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew U

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

I decided to travel solo to Hawaii for one week. I stayed at Banana Bungalow, a friend recommended it. The free tours sold it for me initially, as I thought I could save money on a rental car. After the first day however, I realized there was so much of Maui I wanted to see that the tours don't do. And many tours don't leave until 10:30 or later, so a lot of time is wasted just sitting at the hostel. But I could see long term travelers enjoying the laid back atmosphere. It just wasn't for me. I rented a car and checked out after 4 days rather than 7. I did the road to Hana tour with the hostel, it was nice. Cramped in the van, but good value for free. The tour guides/ hostel employees are very nice.
I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm. It was very small, no lockers and very warm and humid. When I took the sheets off the bed at the end of my stay the pillow was stained and lumpy-gross. The shared men/women bathroom was new for me, but there are private bathrooms as well.
All the travelers there were relaxed and fun to hang out with.
Overall, nice experience, but if you're with another person and you have a car, I'd recommend staying elsewhere to do your own thing. If you're solo, without car and want to do the tours, Banana Bugalow is a good choice.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank minniglobetrekkergal
Saint Thomas, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Pros:
-Maui is otherwise expensive, this is a great way to save some $ if you can handle hostel-life. This is a HOSTEL. Not a hotel.
-If you want to see everything that Maui has to offer, the tours they provide will cover it all. You will not miss out on anything. Another great $ saver.
-Centrally located. If you have a rental car, you will also be able to get anywhere you want on this island from this location. Plus, the hostel is only approx. 20 min max from Kahului airport.
-Free wifi, 2 computers to use in common areas, hot tub, pool table, kitchen, free coffee and pancakes (make your own each morning), free [limited] parking.
-Great people stay in hostels- you can definitely stay here and meet some awesome people.
Cons:
-If you want quiet, you might not find it here. Every night there's a party. I stayed in Room 2 (close to reception) which was far enough away from the common area to be quiet enough for when I was ready for bed.
-Limited room on tours makes it a bit competitive to get a spot. I went with two other friends and we ended up seeing everything the island had to offer via our own rental car instead of taking the hostel tours. But if you're really trying to save some $ then the hostel tours won't leave you disappointed...as long as you get a spot in the van!

Room Tip: I stayed in a 'all-girls' dorm, #2 near reception. It was quiet enough as it was away from...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ZLeon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The hostel is not obviously a 5star hotel, but it's clean and nice. They give you free coffe and pancakes for breakfast and you have the choice to go with them on free tours that'll show the most amazing places on the island.
The rooms are nice and clean. The bathrooms are too small, but clean.
The staff is absolutely amazing. Friendly, funny and very helpfull if you need some travel tips.
You even can joy the jacuzzy in the garden, whe you can party every evening.
It's not a place for families, but if you're traveling alone, go there!
I definetly have to come back soon!

Room Tip: I slept the whole time in the same room, and was quite enough. They're all together, just a coup...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Mesa28
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

As we got off the shuttle from the airport, our driver told us we may want to move as we were in a bad area, we are so glad we didn't though!
The hostel has daily tours which are free, tips to the driver are suggested. The staff were friendly and helpful. We were in a 6 bed dorm which was clean as we're the bathrooms. At night it does become quite a social place, especially since everyone gets to know each other from the tours. However everyone is told to keep the noise down around 10.30-11pm if you do want to sleep!
We didn't feel uncomfortable walking to bus stops, post office, supermarkets etc. Overall a great place to be!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lucy W
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We were upgraded to a private room, which as a happy surprise. The hostel itself shows its age and felt a bit run down. But the beds seemed clean and while the bathrooms were wet all the time I think they were cleaned regularly. There are free make your own pancakes in the morning which was a nice treat, although extremely crowded. I think the people who stay here are overall young and into lots of parties which is different from other hostels I've stayed at.

Room Tip: If you are staying on the street side it's loud and bright all night long. However, I don't...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LauraLazewski
Halifax
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the bungalow in February 2014 and had such a great time!! We are a couple in our 30's and really enjoyed the fun atmosphere of this place. We stayed for 5 nights in a private room. Here is the real deal on this place:

GOOD: Tours were great, sometimes there is a waiting list but all times we were there everyone managed to get on the tour as ppl change their mind. We did the Haleakala and Road to Hana... both were amazing!!!

Patio area is fun, lots of character, kitchen very accessible

Can borrow body boards, snorkel gear, etc. which is great

Room was typical for hostel, no complaints.

Grounds were well looked after.

People who run it are very friendly and helpful, also Marcos was a great guide and very friendly staff member.

SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENTS:

-Have the person at the desk clearly explain everything, maybe have a sheet that you pass out. For example, we didn't know the WIFI password at first, or know the code to get back in. Weren't shown a tour or given rules, etc.

-Pillows were flat, so we ended up buying our own at Kmart (Im a bit of a princess when I sleep!!)

-No A/C in room, there was a fan and I was so tired every night that I fell fast asleep no problems. We backed on to the patio so could hear the partiers, but at 10 it was shut down promptly.

-Washrooms were fine - hot water, etc. not as clean as you would see in a hotel but remember this is a hostel.

Overall, what made this place great was the people, the spirit of the place, and the tours. I also liked the bananas that you could pick off the vine and put on the pancakes. We did some BBQing on the grill, and the location is fine. Get to wake up by a rooster, walking distance to McDonalds and the mountains in the background.

I hope we can return sometime soon! My husband had so much fun, he now wants to open his own hostel!!! Enjoy your stay! Mahalo

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Goaty V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
Northshore Hostel Maui
Northshore Hostel Maui
#1 of 9 in Wailuku
Days Inn Maui Oceanfront

Been to Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel? Share your experiences!