“Exceeded our expectations!”

Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Exceeded our expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

This hostel is a great place to meet people and view all sides of the island on the free tours. We had a problem with our room the first evening, after notifying staff the following day they moved us and gave us a refund for that night. The hostel manager Isaac went out of his way to ensure the rest of our week was awesome, he even gave us priority on the free tours which is what makes this place so great. These guys exceeded our expectations in dealing with the situation, they went about it in an extremely professional yet friendly way which we wouldn't have expected from a hostel. If you find you have a problem then its worth mentioning it. The tours are a great way of seeing the island but they do get booked up very quickly, lots of people do rent cars and you are normally able to tag along with the vans. Wailuku is a bit of a dive but there is a good communal space at the hostel where people chill out in the evenings. Overall the best hostel in the area FOR SURE!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lacahead

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Milton, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Amazing experience! Everyone was so friendly, and the guides were awesome. My girlfriend and decided to go last second, and the people at banana bungalow made our visit to maui much more enjoyable than we'd imagined!

Make sure to bring good hiking shoes if you plan on doing the volcano climb (and socks)..

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pavel K
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Recently I had stayed here for a month. This is by far a great place to stay, friendly atmosphere and a great way to see the island. They offer more than just a place to stay they offer a "Once in a lifetime experience". Many people that may not know the island and the hidden Treasures it holds may want to take this "More than a Hostel Adventure" serviced by Excellent & Professional Tour Guides. Free tour vans depart every day and a new Adventure is always waiting. I personally went on every Tour except one, but I am bringing my kids back with me next year to take that extra ordinary Tour and more! I can personally say that I now know every Beach where snorkeling with turtles is Guaranteed. This Hostel and it's staff are Definitely one of Maui's best Treasure Troves to be discovered!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Tammy S
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

The free tours are absolutely amazing (make sure you tip $10 - $20 to your guides!). Yes the property is old (legend has it: once was a brothel, c'mon, that's just funny right? It's called "Happy Valley" for a reason...), and yes, the place could be cleaner - no bed bugs - but I did see a couple of roaches. However, despite the few problems, the people who end up at the Bungalow end up being some the best around (maybe the Bungalow attracts open-minded travellers who come here despite the fact that the reviews seem to clearly indicate that the place may be a little grungy...people who can live with seeing the odd roach as long as they're having fun 95% of the other time) the excellent tours were complimented greatly by all the awesome fellow travellers and staff I met. One improvement I would love to see would be to have lockers in the room - no where to lock things up aside from the safe at reception - which isn't always open.

Overall, great tours during the day and great camaraderie in the evenings, could not have imagined a better week! If you're looking for impeccable accommodations - look elsewhere - but if you're looking for the BEST value for your money, and possibly the best time ever, give the bungalow a try!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank V T
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Its not the team - its the clientel that leave the kittchen (and bath) just dirty. The young guests just donkt know how to clean up their own mess... We had a double room for nearly 100 US$, quite expensive, but normal for Maui, as we found out. Not a cheap island to stay. We loves to make our own pancakes for breakfast (free) and its nice they have the free tours!!!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

This place is really great for quite a few reasons:
1. The free tours are really good. I thought since they were free they might be done very poorly, but they are commercial quality if not better, and cost nothing!
2. The staff is so great here. They are so nice and accommodating and will always make sure you're enjoying your stay.
3.The dorms are max 4 or 6 people which is a good cause its not to big.
4.The dorms, towels, sheets etc are all very clean.
5. The atmosphere is really great here. Everyone just hangs out and cooks food, plays pool/poker, goes in the hot tub and become friends.

All in all we very much so enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew U
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

I decided to travel solo to Hawaii for one week. I stayed at Banana Bungalow, a friend recommended it. The free tours sold it for me initially, as I thought I could save money on a rental car. After the first day however, I realized there was so much of Maui I wanted to see that the tours don't do. And many tours don't leave until 10:30 or later, so a lot of time is wasted just sitting at the hostel. But I could see long term travelers enjoying the laid back atmosphere. It just wasn't for me. I rented a car and checked out after 4 days rather than 7. I did the road to Hana tour with the hostel, it was nice. Cramped in the van, but good value for free. The tour guides/ hostel employees are very nice.
I stayed in a 4 bed female dorm. It was very small, no lockers and very warm and humid. When I took the sheets off the bed at the end of my stay the pillow was stained and lumpy-gross. The shared men/women bathroom was new for me, but there are private bathrooms as well.
All the travelers there were relaxed and fun to hang out with.
Overall, nice experience, but if you're with another person and you have a car, I'd recommend staying elsewhere to do your own thing. If you're solo, without car and want to do the tours, Banana Bugalow is a good choice.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank minniglobetrekkergal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
Northshore Hostel Maui
Northshore Hostel Maui
#1 of 9 in Wailuku
Days Inn Maui Oceanfront

Been to Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel? Share your experiences!