“Loved the location, price, and everything about this condo!”
Review of Milowai Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wailuku
Milowai Resort
Reviewed 11 October 2006

Subject: Milowai Condo #403
Location: Maalaea, Maui
Title: Wonderful Milowai #403 condo - and some Maui Advice
ID#: 5619901

We returned 8/4/06 from Maui and loved Unit 403 in the Milowai Condo complex. With private parking, oceanfront setting, sparkling pool, king-sized bed, wonderful breezes, and the awesome harbor restaurants and friendly shops nearby, you could not ask for a better place to stay!

Unit 403:
Our particular condo was sold in the timeframe between our reservation and our stay, but our reservation deposit, and then early payment, were held in escrow and everything went very smoothly, particularly due to the friendly people in Hawaii and the new condo owners who were nice, intelligent, and good communicators.

I also liked that this particular condo was on the top floor (4th) away from the elevators. There was an overhang by the elevators that enclosed the area and a few condos there, and I’m guessing that the noise carries into the units by the elevator (not that we saw many people at all while there at the condo). I just would not care to stay near the elevator because I’m very sensitive to noise. So 403’s location within the complex was perfect for us. Elevator was quick. Shopping carts were available on Basement level by the parking spots if needed as luggage or grocery carts, which I thought that was ingenious.

We loved having our own assigned and convenient, covered parking spot. Some people used car covers on their cars because the sea air coats the windows with salt. Just insure your car rental has water in the washer fluid reservoir. There was a foot wash spigot in the parking garage just before entering the elevator area for your use.

A note about height of condo: I was concerned before we left and ensured that we got a condo on an upper level due to concern about crime, which I believe now is rather unfounded. This area is very quiet and is not frequented by people for any other reason than staying at the condos. There were no locations for people to “hang-out” because of the sea wall and surf. Although there were many surfers (25 at a time maybe), they would (hopefully for their sake) land on the 5 mile beach nearby rather than on the seawall. There was also no short-cutting through from the beach to the harbor area because of the fence of one condo. So although I loved the views and this particular condo, I think my prior concerns about safety were basically unfounded and I would not hesitate to stay on a lower unit within the Milowai complex (which I believe are all 1-bedroom units).

Contents of the condo: We loved the king bed, dresser, nightstands, closet with hangers, table inside with 4 chairs and the same on the lanai with a chaise lounger, 2 stools under the bar, washer and dryer, AC window unit in the living room, ceiling fans, pots and pans, dishes, coffee maker, blender, towels, beach towels, cooler, vaccuum and broom. cleaning supplies, trash bags, toilet tissue, TV, entertainment unit, sleeper sofa, phone with answering machine, utensils for eating and cooking. We bought paper towels, laundry soap, coffee, coffee filters, and left all the extras there for the next guests.

In summary, the location was wonderful being central on the island, the wind was not excessive, and we just loved this condo. The new owners were a pleasure to deal with... booking with VRBO.com was the way to go!

Have a great trip!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
7  Thank THill

Reviewed 2 January 2006

We paid $157 (US) a night for 10 nights. We stayed in suite #104. My understanding is that is quite cheap for Maui. Knowing this we kept our expectations of our lodging choice conservative. However we still found ourselves very disappointed. It's wasn't so much that the decor & furniture hasn't been changed since what looks to be the early 1970's, but it was more the heavily stained carpet in the living room, the mildew in the bathroom and if you touched the front screen door it would leave your hand black with dirt.
The crowning glory was on our last night there. I got up to go to the washroom and as I turned on the the bathroom light I found a big rat staring back at me from on top of the counter amongst our toiletries.
This may explain why my wife and 15 month old daughter were sick for a few days before. To be fair to everyone. On the positive side we found the management staff friendly and helpful. There are far better units in the building than the one we stayed in and the barbeques available by the seashore are wonderful. However given our experience we won't be returning anytime soon!

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank rob4bes
logicwoman, Owner at Milowai Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2006

Dear Mr. Forbes,

I am sorry that your stay at our condo was a disappointment. I wish you had alerted the management company, Kihei Maui Vacations, with your concerns. They would have addressed them immediately. We have never had a pest problem in the past. Once the problem was discovered, management took action to exterminate the rodent and preventative measures have been implementd so it doesn't happen again.

I discussed the cleanliness issues with the management company. A new cleaning service has been hired and a deep clean is done after each renter departs. Our cleaners also perform an open clean prior to guest arrival if it's been more than seven days since the last renter departed. The carpet is now professionally cleaned every three months or as needed in between. Also, the screen on the patio slider has been replaced. One thing about Maui is the occasional sugar cane burning that contributes to light dust at times.

As for the comments regarding the furnishings, all living and bedroom furniture, electronics, refridgerator and washer/dryer are new over the past two years. You should have seen the place when we first bought it!

I'm hoping my clarification of the concerns in your review will help to put other renter's minds at ease. We take pride in our accomodations and have never had a negative review in the past. I hope to keep your experience as an isolated incident not to be repeated again.

Much Aloha,
Shellane
Owner of Milowai #104

Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 24 August 2005

We spent our honeymoon in #403 and had a absolutely fabulous time. We booked the unit from Vacation Rentals by Owner. The condo owner lives in the complex and was so helpful with suggesting things to do, where to shop or eat and answering all our questions. He was also very respectful with giving us our privacy. The condo was a good size, tastefully decorated and had everything we needed and more. The kitchen had every tool and appliance we needed, the bathroom had plush towels and the bedroom had the most comfortable king bed. I am an insomniac and never had any problems falling asleep. The washer/dryer was perfect and there was even detergent for us! There was also beach chairs, snorkle gear, boogie boards and even aloe for our sunburns. But my favorite part was the gorgeous view of the ocean and volcano from the lanai. We enjoyed many meals out there listening to the surf and taking in the view. At night, turtles would come in to the bay. There was always a great breeze throughout the condo. There's an AC unit but we never had to use it even in July. We just opened the windows and the patio door and the condo cooled down immediately. There were also ceiling fans and several smaller fans. The pool was well maintained and never crowded. There's no beach out front but there's one a short distance away. We were surprised that we preferred this. Because there's no beach right out front, it was very private and quiet. The location was also perfect. Being in the middle of the island, we were close to everything. We had a wonderful honeymoon here. Thank you so much, Jerry! We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: July 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 June 2005

We stayed at the Milowai condos in Maui, in unit 305. There is a parking garage, no charge. The parking spaces are smaller than the ones here in Virginia, as they are all over Maui, but we didn't have any problems maneuvering our Impala into the space. The Waterfront restaurant is downstairs, and althought I thought that would be a liability, we did not hear, see or smell any clues that there was a restaurant downstairs. I did some checking and found out that the Waterfront is an award-winning restaurant, and we had dinner there one night...man it was outstanding! One of the best meals I've ever had, and I'm not easy to impress.
Our apartment was clean and well maintained. The decor was tasteful. The queen size bed was surprisingly comfortable, and I usually REALLY hate hotel beds. There were huge mirrors on the walls in the bedroom (sliding closet doors) and the living room, giving us a more spacious feel. The tub has a sliding glass door and an adjustable flow showerhead, but it is fixed to the wall. There were plenty of towels, toilet paper, soap, and many other toiletries we were not expecting to see, such as baby powder and sunscreen.
The unit has a very large capacity washer/dryer (stacked) and detergent was provided. There were coolers and boogie boards, and the freezer has an ice-maker. If we wanted to eat in, there were spices and condiments to cook with, and a bottle of wine had been set out on the table, with 2 goblets. Two big gas grills are on the beautifully manicured lawn, next to a nice picnic table. The pool (you get a key) is gated and very clean, with a gorgeous tile mosiac liner. You will usually have the pool to yourselves!
The true highlight is not all the fantastic amenities...it is the view! Open the drapes and you have the ocean and the south Maui mountains, the sound of the waves will soothe away all of your cares. Many a night we sat on the lanai, hypnotized by the sight of the moonlight dancing on the water, as we sipped Maui Splash pineapple wine.
Although the air conditioner is very small and weak, and clearly not powerful enough to cool anything as far away as the bedroom, I would still stay here again. We spent most days in the car sightseeing. The tiny, inadequate window unit was turned on at night, and there a ceiling fans in both the bedroom and the living room, as well as a pedestal fan in the bedroom which kept us quite comfortable. I really mean it, I HATE being sweaty in bed, and if I had been uncomfortable, I would complain bitterly and not hold back; but we did not suffer, even in mid June. I do not recommend leaving the A/C on all day. The apartment will NOT get cooler, the A/C unit will freeze up and you will be forced to turn it off for a day. This made me irate enough to call the resident manager, and I swear he was at our door in 60 seconds, and explained this to me (very nice guy, sort of a laid-back workaholic). That is the only minor problem we encountered. There is even a trash shute at the end of the hall, so taking out the garbage is EASY.
The building even has a great location, which I did not realize until we'd gotten better aquainted with the island. Safeway in Kehei is about 15 minutes away, and it is a great store, and a great shopping center.
We loved the Milowai, unit 305, and we recommend it.

10  Thank notblushing
Canoga Park, CA
Reviewed 10 September 2003

Hono Kai in Maalaea Bay is a wonderful place to stay. It is centrally located and not crowded at all. It is only a 2-story building some three - because of lofts. We have stayed in Maalaea Bay for the last ten years. All of the condos their are all wonderful on that part of the Island. Plue a great white five mile sandy beach to walk on.

22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 5 June 2003

I'm not sure how to write something poor about Maui. Maalaea is only a ten minute drive from the main airport on the Island. As such, you're able to leave the airport and get to your destination in no time. Were you going to Kaanapali or Lahaina, it would be another 20 minutes. We had a one bedroom ocean view and it felt very much like a small apartment. The bedroom and living room were divided by a sliding rice-paper door. There was a balcony that overlooked the pool and the ocean not far beyond. Everything was clean and tidy. The complex sits adjacent to the expansive Maalaea bay beach, which seems to stretch on for some distance with no interruption. It is a magnificent palce. It is very near a port, where catamarans may be chartered for daily snorkeling at Molokini. It's also a short drive to all the islands hot spots. Furthermore, it's as close to Hana as you can get on that side of the island, insofar as all traffic from the north and south sides of the island converge at Maalaea before heading toward the airport, and then to Hana. The staff was very friendly. The only drawback was that, on the weekends, the beach is popular for locals. They don't all appreciate the massive tourist industry. In all, though, it was a spectacular place and the lodging only added to it.

30  Thank A TripAdvisor Member