“1st Hostel Experience”

and 1 more site!
Northshore Hostel Maui
Reviewed 8 April 2008

My husband and I were traveling with friends who often stay at hostels. It was the 1st time for myself and my husband. We were quite pleasantly surprised. We found Northshore Maui Hostel to be clean and well run. The TV automatically shuts off at 10:00PM and quiet time begins. Good for people who want to be able to turn in early. Kitchen was a good size, nice balcony to sit and eat meals, laundry facilities, 4 full bathrooms were adequate. We rarely had to wait. Secure entrance and keys to private rooms. Computer kiosk available. Good value. Staff and guests were pleasant. Good Thai and Japanese restaurants within 1 block. Free parking in well lit lot across the street. Our friends who have stayed in many hostels found this to be above average. Length of stay: 6 nights. We did have a rental car so getting to a supermarket was not a problem.

• Stayed: March 2008

Reviewed 22 November 2007

I stayed at Patey's, Banana, Rainbow's End, and Northshore during my trip. The Northshore was one of my favorites but it depends on what you are looking for. It was the cleanist, open, quiet and friendly staffed hostel. If you are looking for a place to party this is not it. There is more of a mature feel and shared respect to keep the place clean. Also, the cheapest to stay in for a dorm room. Bathrooms are big and remodeled. The street traffic makes for a noisy night and perhaps its greatest downfall. Otherwise I was very satisfied. Definitely worth the great price.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank risrox
Reviewed 9 August 2007

Myself and a group of my friends stayed in this hostel for 3 nights and it was terrible. We went to Maui for the summer and stayed here while looking for jobs and accomodation. Our door didnt lock, whe we came back after the first day our room was wide open, people had obviously been in and out but luckily nothing was taken. There was a strange guy staying accross from us who constantly came over and was quite creepy. 2 bathrooms - one is ok the 2nd is disgusting. Very poor, we ended up not staying our last nite and sleeping on the floor of a person we met - we were actually safer there! We later met another group of Irish students who stayed after us, they werent lucky enough to have had private rooms and apparently one of the guys they were put in a room didnt believe in using a toilet and relieved himself on the floor in the room instead - not really the hostels fault but they should have thrown him out! Dont stay in Wailuku anyway - head for lahaina def the centre of things or go camping in Hana

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
1  Thank tripzaway
Reviewed 29 June 2007

We arrivaed at the hostel after spending several days on the Big Island first in Hilo Bay Hostel and then in Patey's Place in Kona. As
both places far exceeded my expectations, i hoped that this one would
be also acceptable. But it was really disappointing. The people there
were strange, when entering the building i thought it could collapse right now! We booked a private room and it was horrible! The room smelt, everything was pretty dirty and we had to very carefully choose a place where to leave our stuff without it getting very dirty...Furthermore we couldn't really lock the door, the bathroom (shared) was in terrible condition, the faucet didn't work, the towels (we had to pay extra for them) were ancient! I had the feeling the location was cleaned for the last time 10 years ago...
At the end we still managed to spend nice time in Maui, but i think it would have been much better if we would have chosen another place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vishnyanna
Reviewed 13 March 2005

well.. actually this waz the first hostel i ever stayed in.. and CHEERS it waz the best. the staff were really cool.. they helped my friend and i out greatly. and we actually became good friends. Wicked people.
the hostel waz wicked it felt like home.. home in maui, away from problems away from negativitie!! great time spent there would go back in a second.. TOM KATIE, AND DEVINE you guys rule.. thanks for everything

aloha...

Jenell

• Stayed: February 2005
2  Thank Goldenell
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 February 2005

This Hostel is very clean, the people were very friendly, I didn't want to leave.. The only thing is that you need a car around here, but they do have tours each day if there are enough people to go.. I would totally stay here again :-)

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Athens, GA
Reviewed 12 January 2005

The place is scary. It's a total bummer. I didn't feel safe. The actions and behavior of the staff made things even worse. It was creeepy. This was possibly the wierdest hostel I have ever stayed at - not a good wierd. I had planned to stay longer but I left as soon as I could. I was just glad to get away to someplace else where I would feel comfortable.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Tiki Beach Hostel
Tiki Beach Hostel
#33 of 43 in Lahaina

Been to Northshore Hostel Maui? Share your experiences!