This hostel is a choice I do not regret. Located in Wailuku, it is a central area to all other cities you want to explore. It's a 10-15 minutes car ride from the airport, and 30-40 minutes to Lahaina or Kihei. The room and dorm prices are very reasonable letting you place money elsewhere (like a car rental to explore the island). The closest thing to do is Iao Valley, 10-15 minutes away in car. I will highly recommend this place for those who plans on using a car, because of the central location.
The parking is located in front of the building, on the other side of the street and afterhours, you won't have any issues parking. However, during business hours it might be more challenging so plan ahead and spot the other street parking available in the area if you have to come back during the day. Once you go through a narrow passage, you get to the locked door of the hotel and enter the code (that they will send you via email). You then have to go through stairs going up to the lobby/common room. There is a large television and two couches, computer and large kitchen. After you check-in you'll be shown a binder that resume all the amenities of the hotel, city, tours around, frequently asked questions and answers, etc. I was provided with 2 towels and when I used the internet, the connection was fast and satisfying. In regards to laundry, it can become quite expensive and has to be all paid with quarters. The staff will exchange your money for quarters should you need it.
I had a private room with a desk, mini-fridge, air conditioner (a blessing) and large bed. The room was very nice, comfortable and had lots of natural light. My window was directly giving to the balcony so the 10pm/22h curfew was a very good idea, preventing people to make noises directly under my window.
There is four washrooms, all containing shower, toilet and sink. Some of them lacked lighting when doing the beauty routine. It was also a shame not to have a mirror in the room so that you don't need to monopolize the washroom just to use the mirror. I only saw once a big cockroach in one of the washroom, but every other time there were no bugs to be seen in the whole facility. One of the washroom, the one that opens directly to the kitchen, seemed to lack hot water... The two times I used the shower in that precise washroom, the water never got warm. It was similar temperature to the ocean. The other washroom normally took 1-2 minutes before the water got warm and comfortable, but this one for some reason didn't work. When I figured it out, I just started using the other washroom for showers instead of that one.
I would also advise that should your stay at this place be significant enough, you will, at some point, end up waiting to use the washroom, most likely in the early morning (6h-8h30). I believe a long term investment would be to add one or two toilet rooms (without showers) just to cover the emergency needs in the morning. Everyone during my stay was considerate enough : when 3 persons were already taking showers, everyone refrained from using the last washroom to shower until one of the 3 other would be done. The waiting was never too long, the worst wait took 10 minutes, but when you really need to go, it seems like forever.
Their website said ''free breakfast'' and I was expecting a breakfast ready meal, but they don't exactly do that. They actually give you a recipe and ingredients so you can do your own pancakes (takes approximately 15 minutes to do). There is also cereals that can be used, but make sure no names is written on it - if there is, then it belongs to a resident and is not for you to use. The breakfast to do was a bit of a disappointment for me. Not being a morning person, the last thing I want to do in the morning is cook, even for just 15 minutes. Thankfully, there is other breakfast options literally 5-10 minutes away and you can also buy food in grocery stores and bring it to the hostel - just write your name on your stuff!
The owners are a charming couple. They were helpful and funny, and adorable Elvis would make a good mascot. The other residents were very friendly and came from various place around the world, making a wonderful atmosphere in the common area. I would not only recommend to others, but should I go to Maui again, I would book my whole stay at this place once again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aloha and E Komo Mai! The Northshore Hostel Maui is an ideal location to explore our tropical paradise. Spend your entire holiday with us or just one night! Our rates are the lowest on Maui and we strive to offer impeccable customer service to guests of all ages. We are located in downtown Wailuku, in the foothills of the West Maui Mountains, only 5 miles (10K) from the airport. We offer free airport transfers for our guests. Our facility is clean, safe, secure and friendly. A hostel is a great way to meet new people and save your hard earned money! You will find it easy to relax and feel comfortable and enjoy your stay with us. We hope to see you soon. A hui hoa! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld and Odigeo so you can book your Northshore Hostel Maui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Northshore Maui Hotel Wailuku
- Northshore Hostel Maui Wailuku, Hawaii