“Great value for the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wailuku Guesthouse

and 1 more site!
Wailuku Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 4 Wailuku B&B and Inns
Jersey
“Great value for the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012

We got a great deal for wailuku guest house(wasabi room) for our 5 day vacation. If you arrive late make sure you have your directions right since you need to find your way to your room. It was little tricky for us but no big deal.The hostess had fresh banana bread waiting for us in the room with big aloha and all other information we needed to know. She also stopped by to say hello once we had settled in our room. The room had a fully equipped kitchenette and bathroom everything we needed. It was like staying at home. They also provide beach chairs, beach towels(the hostess gave us additional beach towels!), beach umbrellas. This was great deal and so convinent. The area was peaceful and quite. They have a pool too...but we didn't use it during our stay. All in all this is a good value for money. Also this place is centrally located for most of the attractions in maui and downtown wailuku area is in walking distance.
However my only problem with the wasabi room was that it had poor ventilation since the windows faced the carport(we could never open them). So if you want to stay back in the room and relax and enjoy a view then this is not the room for you.Since we were busy exploring the island we spent less time at the room so it bother us too much.I would definitely recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: I would recommend the rooms facing the poolside.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Aloha and Mahalo!
We are glad that you enjoyed your visit with us. We try really hard to provide clean affordable rooms for our guests. With this said, hopefully you had enough money to enjoy other adventures and a few great meals as well.

With Aloha,
Maureen and the Wailuku Guesthouse Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

If marble-floored lobbies and impersonal resort luxury are your style, this won't quite work for you. But if you want a place that's like staying in a friend's home, with any needs or questions more than met, this is the ticket. "Clean and affordable" is the motto, and that is the story. You'll be based on a quiet residential street just off downtown Wailuku - a convenient location for heading in any direction on the island: Kihei/Lahaina, Hana, Haleakala... Fridge, microwave, internet access, free parking on the street, all makes life easy. Beach/snorkle supplies... guidebooks... Pleasant pool/patio area (with an aviary to visit!). Just be careful of the hard-to-resist baked goodies Maureen keeps coming up with! 8)

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

This was my second trip to Maui and loved staying at the guesthouse! Felt very safe, comfortable and in a perfect location! Maureen was very gracious- promptly answered my calls, and even brought me home-made banana bread- which I ate half of in 15 minutes. Great price! Can't beat it.

Room Tip: Stayed in the wasabi room-- all rooms look great
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank KauaitoSD
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this review, 6 September 2012
ALoha,

I'm so glad to see that your job brought you back home to Kauai and then to the outer islands. Sounds like the Wasabi suite was perfect for you and the bread went down easy too! Great place to work at selling swim wear. Hope to see you again soon.

Mahalo,
Maureen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

My stay in the Wailuku guesthouse was absolutely perfect: the pool provided a secluded safe-haven from the hustle-and-bustle of Wailuku, and the quaint rooms (I stayed in the Mill room) were well lit, quiet and cozy. My host left freshly cut flowers, assortments of baked goods, fresh linens and soaps in my room every other day, and was always available to answer any questions I had. She was incredibly sweet and hospitable. I would highly recommend staying at the Wailuku guesthouse if you are traveling alone or with a parter, as it is most certainly a home away from home in one of the most beautiful places in the world, without the irritation of crowds, tourists and noise.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank HannahElizabeth151
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

Comfortable, clean, reasonably priced guesthouse room. Gracious hostess, Maureen who was very helpful on our first visit to Wailuku in many years. Her self-baked fruit breads were a delicious treat and was a welcome desert with coffee after our arrival at the guesthouse. The guesthouse location in central Wailuku with convenient access to many activities, such as the Kahului Airport, shopping malls (Kaahumanu and Maui), restaurants, and reasonable driving times to Kahului, Makawao, Kihei, and Lahaina (10-30 minutes), is a good reason to stay at the Wailuku Guest House.

The well kept swimming pool looked inviting but we did not have the luxury of time to enjoy it during our short stay in June. We look forward to the salt water pool in a future visit.

The Hibuscus Room was small but quite comfortable and had many amenities including refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and a flat panel TV. An end table and lamp so that both sides of the bed could accommodate guests who like to read and perhaps enjoy a cup of coffee in bed would have been very nice. Also, a TV guide would be helpful for guests not accustomed to the TV schedules on Maui.

My wife and I truly would consider revisiting the Wailuku Guest House should we next return to Maui from Honolulu in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Aloha Kay,

We enjoyed your stay as well. It was nice chatting with your wife, we had a lot in common. We are located in a convenient location and are glad you were able to take advantage of that. I'm also very pleased that you enjoyed my bread. I try to use as much of my garden fruits as I can. We also keep our gardens organic by never using any kind of pest control. I really hope you can get into the saltwater pool with waterfalls next time too. It's a quick way to cool down and relax a bit. As a reminder, booking directly with me will save you money. I can usually discount the rooms for you and save myself from paying the search engines commissions. Looking forward to accommodating you, your friends and family in the future.

Mahalo nui loa,
Maureen
owner
The Wailuku Guesthouse
Hurst, Tx.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

This gem in Maui is centrally located to shopping, not too far from the beach and has a great pool. Very friendly owners that will bend over backwards to be sure your stay in Maui is a great experience. For example, the wifi in our room would not work with our new laptop, so Doug just ran an ethernet cable down the hall and hooked us up. ( All the other devices would work in our so it wasn't the wifi) Try getting that type of service at the Hilton.
Maureen baked some fresh breads for the patrons a couple times during our stay. The room was very clean and adequate for our stay.
We will definitely stay there again on our next trip to Maui.

Room Tip: Sorry, no fitness center if you need one.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

I was back on Maui for a class reunion and found that the Wailuku Guesthouse a perfect home away from home. Maureen and her family really made me feel welcome and part of the family. Many of the amemities of an expensive hotel are available (see their website for the details) without the crowds or traffic issues. It made me feel more like a local than a tourist. Maureen and her family have lived on Maui for years and have quite an insight into the Maui that all visitors should get to know. I highly recommend staying at the Wailuku Guesthouse.....the price is certainly right.
By the way, Maureen makes a fantastic homemade apple, papaya, banana bread (I think I left out an ingredient or 2....it was awesome. Got the receipe from her too. Mahalo.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
Aloha
So glad you found our Wailuku Guesthouse. Coming
back home to Maui for your 50th high school reunion
was I'm sure exciting and special. My husband Doug
and I certainly enjoyed our many conversations with
you about our commonalities. I'm so glad you also
had time to get some great surfing in too. And finally,
I'm glad you enjoyed my special organic bread too.
We are looking forward to your return but next time
you need to bring your "better half":)D

Mahalo again for choosing the Wailuku Guesthouse
Maureen and Doug
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn
BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn
#11 of 32 in Lahaina
Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono

Been to Wailuku Guesthouse? Share your experiences!