“Cozy, quiet, clean, friendly” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wailuku Guesthouse

Wailuku Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 4 Wailuku B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Cozy, quiet, clean, friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

My time in the Wailuku Guesthouse Plantation Room was lovely. It was quiet, very clean and peaceful. I have family in Wailuku so it's a perfect location for me but it's also a quick drive to beautiful beaches and other Maui delights. It's nice to stay in a real town, as opposed to a exclusively resort-based experience. Maureen is delightful and I was thrilled by her incredible fruit bread. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: I loved the plantation room and the traditional Hawaiian quilt on the bed. This room was very quiet...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Aloha,
I'm glad you enjoyed the Plantation room with its' new pillow top mattress. Hope it gave you a good nights sleep so you could spend plenty of time with your new grandson. Today I have apple bananas, lilikoi (passionfruit) and macadamia nuts of which I will be making some bread this afternoon. I use whatever I happen to have fresh that day. Our son was also very very happy with the donation that he added to his charity fund for Assistance Dogs of Hawaii. Formerly, Hawaii Canines for Independence. You will be receiving a mahalo letter from him next summer after he makes his annual donation. Hope you come back and stay with us this winter and leave wet foggy SF behind for a nice dose of natural vitamin D. Give me a call and you'll be eligible for the frequent guest discount of 10% off our website rack rates. Have a great day.

With aloha,
Maureen
owner
The Wailuku Guesthouse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

This was the best place i could have chosen to call home for my two week vacation to Hawaii. The location was perfect not too close to all the noise and traffic but close enough to not have a hassle of a time going anywhere for fun. The pool was nice and refreshing and the grill was great to have available to be able to have some home cooked meal and fun outside poolside. I would recommend to anyone who doesn't like crowds like me or wants to feel comfortable on a vacation to call and set up a reservation at the guesthouse so much nicer and personal and homey. They also provide towels for the shower and beach, beach chairs, coolers, and beach stuff to use to have fun at the beach how much better does that get and a money saver and suitcase saver. So book today no matter how big your party because the rooms can be joined or enjoined for bigger groups and families.

Room Tip: Call the online number yourself to book don't go through an agency and you can discuss options w...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aubrey1129
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

I love this place and would stay again but... I think the website should be more upfront on the pet issues. I love dogs and they are clearly kept out of the guest area, no problem. I actually would have liked to interact with them more. Unfortunately I am not a bird lover. Sorry, Maureen. There are 2 giant birds (a macaw and a parrot) and they would frequently make these noises that would scare the bejeesus out of me. Sounded like a woman being murdered. Then I remembered they were birds and I was OK but it took some getting used to. So that part was not relaxing. Having come from a stressful family reunion on O'ahu, the birds did not help me to relax. Knowing beforehand would have been a great help, especially about the unexpected noises. If I'd stayed longer, I'm sure I would have got used to it.

That said, everything else was FANTASTIC! Maureen was very accomodating, even providing beach gear and baking us some lovely treats. This is probably one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed and I am including 5 star hotels in that group. Our room was small and cozy. No closet but we made it work. I forgot the name of the room but it faces the pool. I think it was the Hibiscus Room. The pool area was plenty big enough to share with other guests without feeling we were intruding. Not big enough for laps though. Minimum lap pool is across the street but couldn't get the hours figured out.

Maureen gave us great recommendations for places to eat in the area. Very nice coffee shop within a few blocks walk but their food selection was pretty limited. Great Japanese takeout place within walking too. Must visit is the Swap Meet. 5 minute drive and some of the best local foods and creative local crafts. NOT like Aloha Swap Meet at all. Fresh sugar cane lemonade! See my other review of the popsicles. (Found out when I got back to the Bay Area that my parent's next door neighbors are good friends of the popsicle people. Small world.) We were missing the local food so mostly went to Takamiya Market & Foodland to pick up takeout and snacks. After one visit to Takamiya, we knew all the local gossip without even asking. I love Hawaii!

Please don't forget to check out Habitat for Humanity in the Wailuku area. They had builds on Tuesdays & Saturdays (may change). Anyone can volunteer, even for a half day and you do not need to bring tools. Land is so expensive here, it is one of the few places Habitat builds condos instead of houses. They were just clearing land in Feb 2013 for one you can walk to from here.

If I could go regularly, I might try to keep Wailuku Guest House more of a secret for myself. It truly is a little gem. We stayed at Ho'Olio House afterwards and while that B&B is very beautiful & luxe ($300+ night), the hospitality was not. Maureen is "good people" and I would happily stay at Wailuku Guest House anytime. Even with the birds. ; )

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gator G
honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in the Hibiscus Room at Wailuku Guesthouse. It was located in the back of the house near to the salt water pool. Cute room with a queen size bed, fan, desk, mini fridge, microwave, cooler and beach towels and a private bathroom with shampoo, lotion and soap. Maureen made some delicious banana bread and I had the pool to myself for 2 days. It felt like I was staying at a friend's house since it was so peaceful. LOVED staying here and it was cheaper that the cheapest hotel on Maui.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We'd never been to Maui before and loved the guesthouse. 4 of us stayed in the Ohana. It was clean and carefully furnished. It had everything we needed and plenty of room for what we brought. We have stayed at rental houses before, and our experience has been that the owners want to share our fun and never leave us alone. At the Wailuku guesthouse, Maureen greeted us and had homemade bread on the table when we arrived. I spent several mornings by the pool and she would say Hi, visit for a minute and then move on, so I could relax. They provided chairs, towels and boogie boards for the beach. We enjoyed listening to and visiting their birds. One night we sat in the cabana by the pool and celebrated a birthday and played cards, listening to the waterfall at the end of the pool. The central location was perfect for us and when we returned from a day of swimming or sightseeing their fresh white fence was our welcoming landmark!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank anne s
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Aloha Ann,

We are so delighted that you found our little Wailuku Guesthouse to be perfect for your needs. Having three of your girls all on Maui at the same time must have been a lot of fun. Providing the beach chairs, beach towels, sun umbrellas, coolers and some snorkel gear is one way that we can make your stay a little more affordable and convenient. We hope to see the rest of your family one day soon too. I'm glad you were able to relax. There are guests that just want me to hang out with them and as much as I would love to always be on vacation, I have a business to run. I try to catch up with these guests at the end of the day as they want to find out more secret little finds I might know about Maui. By the way, who won the card game?

With aloha,
Maureen
Owner
The Wailuku Guesthouse
Wetaskiwin, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

My wife and I spent two weeks at the guesthouse. The owners are very friendly, and it was wonderfully convenient to have beach chairs and towels, coolers, and unbrellas to make our time at the beach very pleasant. The surroundings were quiet, and all necessities for daily living were close at hand. Costco, and Wal Mart are just a few miles away.

This is a clean, economical facility. We were very pleased at all times during our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John G
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

On our first trip to Maui I booked this place because it was close to the airport and we had a late flight in. It was easy to find and it was a lovely remodeled Hawiian style home. The grounds were nice and the owner/ manager Maureen was a delightful and helpful woman. Their son was cute and we had a conversation with him while he was out doing his chores by the pool. We had a small but clean room in the back by the pool. It was quiet there! Loved the quilt on the bed! And we had the pool pretty much all to ourselves. We found a nice coffe shop 2 blocks away that we walked to every morning for the 3 days we were there. It was also within walking distance of some good very reasonably priced restaurants. Some other things we enjoyed was they had some quiet parrotts in a cage in the yard and a sweet well behaved dog too! Maureen baked us some great banana bread one day and it was very homey! We felt very welcome. Only thing I could say not too good was the bed was a little hard for us but other than that it was centrally located so you could get to all the sights easy. We enjoyed the old Wailuku town and it was not as busy as other areas we stayed over our 3 week trip.

Room Tip: I think there pretty much the same but the pool area was nice! Some of the rooms I think are bigger...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cheri670
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#13 of 31 in Lahaina
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,656 reviews

Been to Wailuku Guesthouse? Share your experiences!