“peacful get away”

Ranked #2 of 4 Wailuku B&B and Inns
Springfield, Missouri
“peacful get away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

the guesthouse was located in old Wailuku town and was just a walk away from little bistro's and local owned shops... was a perfect location between kihei and Lahaina beaches... The rooms cozy and quaint.. with a nice salt water pool on those hot days... I appreciated the host Maureen and her amazing bread made with fruit from her yard... if our looking for a small private economical room at a reasonable price the Wailuku house is the place to be

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

It is very hard to understand how this accommodation has obtained such good reviews on Trip Advisor. Yes, there are some plus points if you need beach towels, chairs or cool boxes, but the room allocated was cramped with small windows and no outlook to recommend. There was a small swimming pool, ok if you had nothing better to do, a smallish garden with a BBQ area and some caged parrots. Beautiful birds, but why keep then caged in such an enclosed space. There was a dog on the premises, never saw it but heard it often. The stairway to the room had an unpleasant smell, not sure if it was the dog. Moreover, the owner, Maureen, was away for the three days that we were there, during which time the room was not once serviced. We were travelling extensively around the Hawaiian islands and for the price, this was by far the worst place we stayed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Aloha,

First I'll address that I was away. My mother was nearly killed in a car accident in the Northern Illinois area and at 79 years old that was a very difficult time. Although Kim my maid, serviced your room on the second day with fresh towels and emptied your trash, checked on your coffee and such. We change the towels every other day as there are 2 hanging and 2 more under the sink. Beach towels are as often as you need. The stairway is old wood, the walls of the stairway were just recently painted. The pet dog has never been in any of the guestrooms or that stairway. Too many people have allergies. Our 40ft saltwater pool with waterfalls is quite a large pool certainly not small. That is out in our common area that also has 3 nice dining tables under beautifully made cabanas. Rain or shine you can stay dry and enjoy the view of the West Maui Mtns. There are also nice lounging chairs for an afternoon nap if you want. Some folks like to unwind and have a dip in the saltwater pool. We have lush gardens that include torch ginger, pink ginger, several types of Heliconia, banana trees, mango trees and lillikoi(passion fruit), Puakinikini, Plumeria, Aloe, Papaya and many many Ti plants. The aviary is large with well behaved macaws. They are my pets and they only know that aviary. It is hexagonal in shape with wire we brought in from England, it has the same pitch as our roof with copper flashing, and has all natural ironwood perches that we change all the time to give their feet and talons a different shape to feel. They talk nice and are pleasant. We are not in the country where they might be able to be trained to live in the wild but I don't know if they could. They come out daily when I feed them and clean out their aviary with the hose. I handle them and they are well fed and cared for. I'm glad you enjoyed your new pillow top mattress in the Plantation room. It has 2 windows that open wide one of which looks at Mt Haleakala and the other to the SW and a West Maui Mtn and neighborhood view. The rooms are not huge but in my 13 years at my Wailuku Guesthouse only a few people had negative things to say about the rooms. They are clean, have refrigerators, microwaves and coffee makers, the Plantation room has a private bath with tub and shower. We are centrally located in old Wailuku Town which does take you out of the tourist traps and are only a few minutes drive to Maalaea Bay, Haycraft Beach and Sugar Beach to name a few with in 5-6 miles. Old Wailuku Town is walking distance from the Guesthouse where you will find a handful of great eateries and one of the best baristas on the island at the Old Wailuku Coffee Company.

With Aloha,
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

My time in the Wailuku Guesthouse Plantation Room was lovely. It was quiet, very clean and peaceful. I have family in Wailuku so it's a perfect location for me but it's also a quick drive to beautiful beaches and other Maui delights. It's nice to stay in a real town, as opposed to a exclusively resort-based experience. Maureen is delightful and I was thrilled by her incredible fruit bread. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: I loved the plantation room and the traditional Hawaiian quilt on the bed. This room was very quiet...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Aloha,
I'm glad you enjoyed the Plantation room with its' new pillow top mattress. Hope it gave you a good nights sleep so you could spend plenty of time with your new grandson. Today I have apple bananas, lilikoi (passionfruit) and macadamia nuts of which I will be making some bread this afternoon. I use whatever I happen to have fresh that day. Our son was also very very happy with the donation that he added to his charity fund for Assistance Dogs of Hawaii. Formerly, Hawaii Canines for Independence. You will be receiving a mahalo letter from him next summer after he makes his annual donation. Hope you come back and stay with us this winter and leave wet foggy SF behind for a nice dose of natural vitamin D. Give me a call and you'll be eligible for the frequent guest discount of 10% off our website rack rates. Have a great day.

With aloha,
owner
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

This was the best place i could have chosen to call home for my two week vacation to Hawaii. The location was perfect not too close to all the noise and traffic but close enough to not have a hassle of a time going anywhere for fun. The pool was nice and refreshing and the grill was great to have available to be able to have some home cooked meal and fun outside poolside. I would recommend to anyone who doesn't like crowds like me or wants to feel comfortable on a vacation to call and set up a reservation at the guesthouse so much nicer and personal and homey. They also provide towels for the shower and beach, beach chairs, coolers, and beach stuff to use to have fun at the beach how much better does that get and a money saver and suitcase saver. So book today no matter how big your party because the rooms can be joined or enjoined for bigger groups and families.

Room Tip: Call the online number yourself to book don't go through an agency and you can discuss options w...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aubrey1129
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

I love this place and would stay again but... I think the website should be more upfront on the pet issues. I love dogs and they are clearly kept out of the guest area, no problem. I actually would have liked to interact with them more. Unfortunately I am not a bird lover. Sorry, Maureen. There are 2 giant birds (a macaw and a parrot) and they would frequently make these noises that would scare the bejeesus out of me. Sounded like a woman being murdered. Then I remembered they were birds and I was OK but it took some getting used to. So that part was not relaxing. Having come from a stressful family reunion on O'ahu, the birds did not help me to relax. Knowing beforehand would have been a great help, especially about the unexpected noises. If I'd stayed longer, I'm sure I would have got used to it.

That said, everything else was FANTASTIC! Maureen was very accomodating, even providing beach gear and baking us some lovely treats. This is probably one of the cleanest places I have ever stayed and I am including 5 star hotels in that group. Our room was small and cozy. No closet but we made it work. I forgot the name of the room but it faces the pool. I think it was the Hibiscus Room. The pool area was plenty big enough to share with other guests without feeling we were intruding. Not big enough for laps though. Minimum lap pool is across the street but couldn't get the hours figured out.

Maureen gave us great recommendations for places to eat in the area. Very nice coffee shop within a few blocks walk but their food selection was pretty limited. Great Japanese takeout place within walking too. Must visit is the Swap Meet. 5 minute drive and some of the best local foods and creative local crafts. NOT like Aloha Swap Meet at all. Fresh sugar cane lemonade! See my other review of the popsicles. (Found out when I got back to the Bay Area that my parent's next door neighbors are good friends of the popsicle people. Small world.) We were missing the local food so mostly went to Takamiya Market & Foodland to pick up takeout and snacks. After one visit to Takamiya, we knew all the local gossip without even asking. I love Hawaii!

Please don't forget to check out Habitat for Humanity in the Wailuku area. They had builds on Tuesdays & Saturdays (may change). Anyone can volunteer, even for a half day and you do not need to bring tools. Land is so expensive here, it is one of the few places Habitat builds condos instead of houses. They were just clearing land in Feb 2013 for one you can walk to from here.

If I could go regularly, I might try to keep Wailuku Guest House more of a secret for myself. It truly is a little gem. We stayed at Ho'Olio House afterwards and while that B&B is very beautiful & luxe ($300+ night), the hospitality was not. Maureen is "good people" and I would happily stay at Wailuku Guest House anytime. Even with the birds. ; )

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gator G
honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in the Hibiscus Room at Wailuku Guesthouse. It was located in the back of the house near to the salt water pool. Cute room with a queen size bed, fan, desk, mini fridge, microwave, cooler and beach towels and a private bathroom with shampoo, lotion and soap. Maureen made some delicious banana bread and I had the pool to myself for 2 days. It felt like I was staying at a friend's house since it was so peaceful. LOVED staying here and it was cheaper that the cheapest hotel on Maui.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Kirkland, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We'd never been to Maui before and loved the guesthouse. 4 of us stayed in the Ohana. It was clean and carefully furnished. It had everything we needed and plenty of room for what we brought. We have stayed at rental houses before, and our experience has been that the owners want to share our fun and never leave us alone. At the Wailuku guesthouse, Maureen greeted us and had homemade bread on the table when we arrived. I spent several mornings by the pool and she would say Hi, visit for a minute and then move on, so I could relax. They provided chairs, towels and boogie boards for the beach. We enjoyed listening to and visiting their birds. One night we sat in the cabana by the pool and celebrated a birthday and played cards, listening to the waterfall at the end of the pool. The central location was perfect for us and when we returned from a day of swimming or sightseeing their fresh white fence was our welcoming landmark!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank anne s
Wailuku_Guesthouse, Owner at Wailuku Guesthouse, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Aloha Ann,

We are so delighted that you found our little Wailuku Guesthouse to be perfect for your needs. Having three of your girls all on Maui at the same time must have been a lot of fun. Providing the beach chairs, beach towels, sun umbrellas, coolers and some snorkel gear is one way that we can make your stay a little more affordable and convenient. We hope to see the rest of your family one day soon too. I'm glad you were able to relax. There are guests that just want me to hang out with them and as much as I would love to always be on vacation, I have a business to run. I try to catch up with these guests at the end of the day as they want to find out more secret little finds I might know about Maui. By the way, who won the card game?

With aloha,
Owner
The Wailuku Guesthouse
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Maui Seaside Hotel
BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn
BEST WESTERN Pioneer Inn
#11 of 32 in Lahaina
Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono

Been to Wailuku Guesthouse? Share your experiences!