“Really good sandwich!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We read a couple reviews that seemed a bit iffy, so weren't sure we were doing the right thing eating here. We arrived at noon and it was packed.

Our cashier seemed to really be struggling getting anything right, so we held our breath on our Ham and Swiss Boar's Head sandwich (I have a strange pallet, so added a 95 cent hot dog on sale).

The sandwich was Fantastic! I highly recommend this as an alternative to the everyday restaurant food. Great! (And I'd eat another hot dog, but next time with chili)!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We always visit Ma'alaea General Store at least once during each visit to Maui. We have never been disappointed. I think the only criticism I would give is to the hostess that greets you. Actually, she doesn't greet you---she stares at you when you walk in to the restaurant and doesn't say one word. You have to engage her in conversation before she asks you how many are in your party--even when there are only two people standing in front of her. The food was terrific, as always. It is a short drive from Kahului and worth it!

Reviewed 31 March 2014

stopped in and had breakfast, on waterfront, sitting outside and the muffin was fresh and tasty. The staff were friendly. They have a good selection of souveniers

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We had breakfast and lunch at this sunny place a number of times. We had great sandwiches, delightful breakfast and found this place to be the perfect place to pick up items needed like milk and juice. The food is fresh and they have a nice choice of items. They open early and close midday. Need a newspaper - they have it. Just want a fresh bagel - excellent! Eat on their open or closed porches! It is just a nice place to start your day!

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Cute little cafe with outdoor seating was just the perfect choice for lunch, or so we thought. The menu stated that the breakfast grill was open until 2pm.. well apparently they dont keep eggs in stock until two, because you were denied any item off the menu with eggs. Okay, so not a big deal right? Well, after choosing a different option and deciding to spulrge for an expensive pastry, everything was fine. After handing my money over and paying, I was told that they didnt have anymore pastries for sale, the lady looked at me like I was suppose to do something about it. The lady at the counter apparently didnt know how to use the cash register, because a refund was out of the question. So instead, the lady offered to substitute the pastry for a individual pie, fine by me..until the lady informs me that there will a $2 price difference. Really?..After looking at her with the most dumbfounded face ever, she agreed that she would just give me the pie for what the pastry was worth...okay so after a little misadventure while ordering...the worst is when they dont know how to make a turkey sandwich that doesnt take 35 minutes to wait for or one with the correct bread choice and without dijon mustard..once my name was called and my lunch was ready, guess what was missing..the pie. Had to go remind the lady the full order, just so I could get what I paid for. The most flustered, disorganized cafe ever, they cant even get the simplest thing right..it was just a turkey sandwich and a pie people, and they couldnt do that without trouble....geez....a pastry and a sandwich really threw this cafe into a tailspin. But on the upside, the in house entertainment of watching the waitress run a wild chicken out of the cafe was fun..kinda.

1  Thank Katie M
Dom M, Owner at Ma'alaea General Store & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Shucks! One would think we deserved 4 or 5 stars just for entertainment value. After all, will you ever forget the chicken chase? The hen got away, that's why there were no eggs for you ;-) Have a great day, Aloha.