“THEY SHOULD BE PROUD!!!!”
Review of Pride of Maui

Pride of Maui
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui Snorkel Adventure Tours to Molokini Crater, Turtle Town, and other premier Maui snorkeling destinations.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I am sorry in getting this review up late, I am still talking about it here on the mainland though! Patrick our Captain and his crew were the best! Talk about attention to detail from the check in , morning breakfast, snorkel equipment and how to guides,.The two reefs we went to and the lunch! All I can say is WOW! WOW! WOW! If we were not on the Pride of America cruise from July 5th to July 12 and had to leave we would do this over and over again. Then Mai Tais and Beer along with macadamia nut cookies...are you kidding me ?. This was such a fun experience but the staff and the superb service made it such a pleasure. I can see why they call it the Pride of Maui.
Thank you Patrick and crew! Kristy and Kathy

Write a ReviewReviews (1,344)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We really enjoyed our trip on the pride of maui. The crew were so friendly and helpful! I would highly recommend the molokini and turtle town trip.

1  Thank Natbryan
Reviewed 25 July 2014

First of all, I made the mistake of booking the smaller "Leilani" boat from the website when I thought I was booking the larger Pride of Maui boat. (Be sure you know what you are booking!) Secondly, there was a south swell in the waters that did not allow for the usual snorkeling spots. To eat up time, the boat cruised around and then finally got to the only spot to snorkel: Molokini. When we anchored, the water was so choppy! Not only me, but everyone was so seasick. After the snorkel session, the boat continued on past the harbor to eat up more time. This felt like torture. The Captain and the Crew were all very nice, but I just wished if the conditions were not going to be good, then we could have had been warned in advance and allowed a choice to go or not.

6  Thank annjlin
Scott T, Director / VP at Pride of Maui, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Aloha,

Thank you for your time in reviewing our trip.

I sympathize with your disappointment with the weather and sea conditions. I also can personally relate to the days at sea when Mother Nature shows up, curveballs in hand. Unfortunately, due to the exposure and large volume of water surrounding the Hawaiian Islands, as well as other variables, it is not possible on most days to know what the conditions are like at each of our snorkel destinations, while sitting in the calm of the protected harbor, or looking out into the bay. Marine weather forecasts are certainly helpful, although not specific to a defined snorkel area. It can be very windy at one location and flat as a lake at another site, just a few miles up or down the coast. It requires leaving the harbor, communicating with other operators and sometimes traveling to locations where the wind and waves have the least affect, or where the water is calmest.

There are those few days when we are simply not able to access the pristine conditions we so often enjoy. What you perceived as “burning time’, was the Captain’s diligent efforts to take you to a location offering the best conditions, which at times includes driving past the harbor and heading toward calmer waters.

Nearly 40 years of charter experience has paved the way for our success. It is during these times that we counter with our ability to improvise, and provide the best possible options with the best possible service.

We take great pride in our vessel, Leilani, in that she has the resourcefulness to exercise these options in a prompt and expeditious manner. Her freedom as a swift boat, combined with her lower passenger count provide exciting alternatives that other vessels cannot match. It is this reason that our passengers are able to take in more of Maui's sights, and slip away from the crowd.

Once again, we are grateful for your feedback, and I am sorry that you feel there was a mistake in choice. The alternate option, our flagship Pride Of Maui, has tremendous upside for those who worry about conditions at sea, and a propensity for sea-sickness. At 65 feet, she is the largest and most stable Maxi Power Catamaran on Maui.

I wholly understand your discouragement with the weather conditions. We hope to have you back in the future, perhaps upon our flagship this time. Or perhaps during a more agreeable weather period, so that you can enjoy all that Maui snorkeling has to offer.

Scott Turner
Director / VP

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The trip to Molokini was good. The waves were choppy, but that's not the crew's fault. We were notified when we checked in that the SCUBA trip we signed up for was cancelled due to the dive master calling in sick. The whole reason for this excursion was so that the entire family could scuba, and snorkel together. Very disappointing. All in all the trip was pretty good, the food was above average, the crew was very energetic and appeared to be happy to be there. I would recommend this trip, but if you're planning on SCUBA diving, do it somewhere else.

1  Thank Matt M

Aloha,

We’re pleased that your trip to Molokini was good. I understand your disappointment surrounding the absence of SCUBA. We’re proud to cater to the whole family, by offering snorkeling, scuba diving and SNUBA. This combination is rare upon the island, and is very well received by families like yours, where some members are and other’s may not be scuba divers. The entire family or group is able to enjoy what each one likes best, and do so on the same trip, as opposed to having to split the group up on multiple outings.

It is unfortunate that human factors such as illness road-blocked your experience to enjoy both options, and that our dive master was unable to attend. I wholeheartedly apologize for this inconvenience, yet was pleased to hear that the rest of your trip was worth your recommendation. Our crew is very fond of what they do on the water and their ability to spread their Aloha and expertise is a big part of our success.

We employ three dive masters and in most cases are able to call upon others, if one is not well. In this particular case, our Dive Master thought he was good to dive that morning, but began to feel much worse on the way to work. By the time he decided he was too weak to dive, it was too late to make other arrangements. While we are glad our Dive Masters follow safety protocol and do not push themselves beyond their mental or physical capacity when not well, we do apologize for the inconvenience and disappointment you experienced as a result.

If you return to Maui, we will be happy to provide you with a complimentary scuba dive aboard Pride of Maui, as apology for the disappointment to you resulting from the late notice of our sick Dive Master.

I thank you for your input, and we appreciate the time you took in your review.

Scott Turner
Director
VP

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was our first time snorkeling and we are hooked. The crew was great and very informative. The sites were beautiful. We did rent the shirts and found them to be a blessing. Our daughter rented an underwater camera and had a ball taking the pictures. The breakfast and lunch were both really good. We would definitely go again.

1  Thank leslie t