“Spectacular morning on horseback with Mendes Ranch”
Review of Mendes Ranch

and up
Maui Horseback-Riding Tour with Optional BBQ Lunch
Ranked #4 of 47 things to do in Wailuku
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Our family visited Mendes Ranch to go horseback riding as a special treat for my son's 9th birthday. The trip from Kihei takes about 50 minutes -- the last part of the journey we went through Wailuku and then up the narrow, twisting Kaheliki Highway to the ranch at the top of a hill. After signing the liability waivers and getting helmets for the kids, we were matched with horses by ability. Our family of 6 and 2 couples were assigned 2 cowboys. They rode along with us and talked about the ranch, also pointing out whales at sea. They were very attentive to my kids and teens, seeing how they were doing and making sure their posture and riding were comfortable. The places you can gallop (only if you want) are terrifying and exhilarating at the same time! They take pictures at 2 places along the trail overlooking the ocean, as individuals and families. When we returned to the ranch, one of the other cowboys was roping dummy cows and taught my son well enough that he was doing it within a few minutes! I knew the morning was successful when my son told me, "This was so much more than a birthday present!"

2  Thank PHXscuba
There are newer reviews for Mendes Ranch

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My husband and i have only ridden a few times when we were a lot younger. This was the first time for my teenage daughter. They were terrific at pairing us up with the right horse. The horses were great, seemed very well cared for and in great shape. we did the 90 minute ride -- the first half is down the hill, the second is back up. spectacular views of the ocean and cliffs. we stopped a couple of the times allowing the horses to rest for a few minutes while our guide kindly took pictures of everyone (against the spectacular backdrop) with our own cameras. He constantly checked on everyone to make sure we were comfortable, sitting right, and handling the reins right. He was quick to correct us and also quick to praise. we all chose to go for the "run" a couple of times, which was really just a very short gallop for less than a minute or two it seemed. More advanced riders in the group tended to be in the lead and more on their own, and they also enjoyed it. great fun, highly recommended.

1  Thank farenough
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Took my family on this trip. We got there early and checked in. This gave us time to wander around and look at the view. Nice place to hang out. We were checked in by a nice young girl who later gave us a quick riding review. They broke us up into ability groups and tried to match us with the right horse. We were lead off down the trail with Butch. Obviously an accomplished cowboy. We rode along the cliff line for an excellent view of the shoreline, whales breaching and wide open spaces. The unique thing is they allow you to gallop to a run if your are comfortable with it. The offer a bbq lunch after the morning ride and before the afternoon ride. Overall a great time.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The whole day was wonderful - we were there for the Valentine's Day BBQ. We arrived early enough for me to go for a trail ride and stayed for the meal. The staff were fun, friendly and knowledgable. They did a great job of matching riders with horses so every skill level had a safe amazing ride. The horses are in great shape and all appropriately shod for the terrain. The terrain - well, let me tell you - it was anything but boring! How many places in the world can you ride a horse and whale watch at the same time? My horse's name was Blondie and she really enjoyed showing me her gears in the places along the trail where we could gallop! What a thrill! This is coming from someone who used to lead trail rides in Alberta and who owns two horses! No matter what your experience level, if you want a laid back relaxing place to see another side of Maui, check out the activities at the Mendes Ranch. If you get a chance to do the Friday night BBQ, you are in for a treat. We ate at several restaurants while we were in Maui and like the spread served at the ranch the best. Don't care to ride? As for a "hay ride" in the

1  Thank K-9DVM
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We made sure to stop here on our trip based on the great reviews and the fact that my girlfriend loves to ride horses. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, which was great since some of us are less experienced riders. We were split up into smaller groups, which made it easier to ask questions to the tour guide. The ranch was beautiful, as was the trail. There were two scenic points where we stopped for photo ops. At the end, we were given the option to take our horses on a run, which was pretty awesome for a newbie like myself. Afterwards, one of the ranch hands gave us an impromptu lesson on roping which was pretty cool. Definitely recommend.

1  Thank Madjig