“Excellent Bed and Breakfast”

Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono
Ranked #1 of 4 Wailuku B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 11 March 2006

Excellent! Recently I had to visit Maui for a friends wedding. I made my arrangements for travel and accomodations at the last minute. After using trip advisor to locate accomodations in the area of the Iao Valley I had the good fortune to stay with Tom and Janice the proprietors at The Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono.

I arrived late at night and found my way from the airport to the inn with great ease thanks to the impeccable directions provided. My room was perfect. Clean, welcoming and tastefully furnished.

After opening the windows in the room a warm gentle breeze blew in the scent of island flora the garden.

It was now time to shower after the long flight. Showering Nirvana! Count them, six shower heads in the overly spacious shower. The towels were plentiful, clean and most of all very soft. Soap, shampoo, bath gel and bathing salt and a hair dryer were also provided.

Exhausted from traveling and now relaxed from the shower it was time to hit the pillows for some well deserved sleep. The bed was very comforatable. It was like a giant pillow that craddled me to sleep. I slept like a baby as the warm island breezes passed gently through the room.

Breakfast was another great surprise. I was greeted by the aroma of fresh brewed coffee and hot meals being prepared.

As I arrived for breakfast at the main house other guests were out on the elevated porch overlooking the garden as well as in the great room that sits in the center of the other guest rooms. Both the porch and great room are nice places to sit and have coffee, read or visit with other guests.

Breakfast is served just off the great room in a separate room that is well lit by the moring sun. Two large tables with settings for all the guest are prepared. Guests are welcome to sit where ever they like. Breakfast is served promptly at 8:00 am.
and it was delicious. Tom and Janice are well prepared to offer you a nice morning meal. Before you arrive at the Inn you are sent an email asking if there are any foods you do not like or cannot eat. Tom and Janice will try to provide you with a healthy and delicious alternative. There is a daily breakfast menu prepared in your room so you can see what the following days breakfast will be.

Once the meals are served Tom and Janice both make time to visit with each of their guests. They show genuine care when offering suggestions and directions on how to best visit Maui's sites. Be sure to also ask other guests what they did on the prior day. That is great way to learn more about sites to visit.

Breakfast seems to be the best time to share stories about your adventures.

Before you leave for the day Tom and Janice offer beach towels, beach mats, cold drinks, coolers, light snacks, sandals and directions for your days sightseeing trip.

If you decide to visit Hana ask about the narrative CD you can play in your car while driving to Hana. The CD is a funny and offers information and music from two island characters. While it is a little campy the CD is well worth having with you on the drive. It points out items that you might just drive. I am really glad I took it with me.

Hana is about 3 hours away and the road has hundreds of tight curves and places where the road drops down to a single lane for both directions. Although it seems that everyone is very respectful of each other and if you show the same courtesy the drive will be very enjoyable.

If you have the good fortune to stay at the Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono you will experience the true Spirit of Aloha. I felt like I was staying with ohana (family)

Make sure and tell Janice and Tom that Paul from Las Vegas sends his best regards and he looks forward to thier visit to Las Vegas.

Mahalo Tom and Janice I am so glad that I found The Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono. I hope to return to stay with you again very soon

Paul Ortiz
Las Vegas, NV

• Stayed: March 2006
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

A TripAdvisor Member
Vienna, VA
Reviewed 31 January 2006

They serve a gourmet breakfast. Janice's waffle is out of this world, the best I've ever had, crispy outside, melt in my mouth inside. During Christmas, they will put out a marvelous Christmas Santa collection.

The Inn is very well kept. The room we stayed in was very comfortable. The decor is very tasteful. Excellent amenities. You can get gourmet tea, coffee, and snacks any time of the day. The bed in particular, was very very comforatble. Ask Janice what was her secret.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 January 2006

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location allowed for easy access to many parts of the island. The inn was quiet. Our room was tastefully furnished. Highlights included the most comfortable bed we've slept in (including our own at home) and a nice-size shower with multiple nozzles. Even though we missed breakast because of our early excursions, proprietor Janice Fairbanks brought granola and fruit to our room the night before. We definitely plan to stay there on our next trip.

7  Thank TCinSF
Reviewed 14 January 2006

Spent two nights here near the end of our stay. Well situated in the quiet county seat of Maui near the Iao Valley, this is a nice centrally located inn to explore Maui. We had the small Lehua room, a cozy place with its own private patio and a spacious bathroom. A tasty breakfast is served family style upstairs in the main building at 8 am sharp. Our stay was short but pleasant.

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank Flying_Rog
Reviewed 2 December 2005

The Old Wailuku Inn and Maui were the third in the list of four islands during our recent three week Hawaiian odyssey. Our room was beautifully decorated and it felt like we were in an old Hawaiian plantation. The gourmet breakfast each morning was delicious and chatting with Janice was so helpful in planning our day. Providing soda, snacks, beach towels and coolers are only a few of the ways the hosts attend to the needs of travellers. I have stayed in many B&Bs and this one is one of the very best. Mahalo, Janice!

• Stayed: November 2005
9  Thank abbydabbado
Reviewed 1 November 2005

We arrived late at night in a pouring rain. When we finally passed all the locks to enter our room, I was so happy. The room was flawlessly decorated and spotless. We had a quiet night's sleep, awaking early to the smells of our breakfast cooking and the many birds calling outside our private lanai. Breakfast our first morning there was wonderful (mushroom spinach quiche and papaya fruit cups, with fresh, hot Portugese donuts), though I was sort of disappointed in the waffles the next morning. We saw very little of our hosts, but did spend some quality time with other guests, sitting on the front porch awaiting breakfast. Our room was in the back, away from the noisy street in front (the Hibiscus Room). I would definitely stay there again. It was my first ever Bed and Breakfast.

Stayed: October 2005
7  Thank Princess-Gadabout
Reviewed 24 October 2005

My husband and I were very pleased with our stay at The Old Wailuku Inn. Janice and Tom went out of their way to make our stay a pleasant one. We were offered beach towels and coolers each day. They gave helpful hints for our travels throughout Maui. They even cut up my papayas in the kitchen, which made a wonderful snack after we biked down Haleakala. The Inn and the garden are well-maintained and have a homey Hawaiian feel. Tea, coffee, sodas, and snacks are available in the dining room 24-7. It was wonderful to come home after a long day, make myself a cup of tea, and lounge with my book on the sofa in the living room. I cannot say enough about the breakfasts, either! Each day was more delicious than the one before! We felt that it was an ideal place to stay on the days when you plan to drive to Hana or to see Haleakala. I recommend the Old Wailuku Inn at Olupono without reservation for those who want to feel at home in Janice and Tom's aloha spirit. It is a true gem and a great bargain.

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank Sewaneegal
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
Montage Kapalua Bay
What a Wonderful World Bed and Breakfast
Maui Tradewinds
Maui Tradewinds
#1 of 8 in Haiku

Been to Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono? Share your experiences!