“Molokai and tan a great combo”
Review of Hotel Molokai

Hotel Molokai
Ranked #1 of 4 Kaunakakai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 February 2008

Thank you Hotel Molokai for the vacation of a lifetime.The staff and local residents were fantastic. The authentic look of the hotel grounds will forever be imprinted in my minds eye, it was the typical dream Hawaiian vacation. I booked this trip with my vacation club (TAN) and boy were they right on the money with this vacation. The best thing is, with TAN, I will be able to return to the Hotel Molokai whenever I want. Thank you all.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank crusaderpc

Reviewed 16 February 2008

We just stayed at Hotel Molokai for half of our week long honeymoon, and found it a great place!! I really don't kow what the other bad reviews are all about, but we found it a neat place to stay on the island. Being that it is a hotel, and usually fully booked, yes there are other guests there, and yes, other people will walk past your room. BUt there are no children running around, no late night partiers-the entire hotel was quiet after 9pm, there are a lot of older crowds there. If you want a true Hawaii experience, and to meet some great locals that will tell thier stories, then it is a great place to go. The rooms are newly remodeled, the restaurant is a great place to eat overlooking the ocean!!, the staff there is very friendly and goes the extra mile to assist you, we never saw a single bug in our clean room, and just loved the ambience there!! Please don't overlook this great place, with live music nightly, great food and great people, amazing views, I could go on............

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nicnic3
Reviewed 12 February 2008

We stayed at Hotel Molokai for a week and enjoyed the island. Yes, the hotel is noisy and yes there were some bugs but if you want the real old fashioned Hawaii that's what you get. The people who worked there were great and anything we asked for was taken care of. I don't think I'd stay there in the summer since there's no airconditioning but it was perfect for the winter with the ceiling fans.
The food was good and the resturant staff were nice.
If you go to this island you have to rent a four wheel drive vehicle. There is so much to do if you have one.
This is not the place if you want to party or need entertainment. You have to make your own.
This is a natural awsome island.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tmitch57
Reviewed 23 January 2008

Molokai claims to be "the friendly isle". This is far from true. The staff at the hotel other than maybe one or two were rude, won't look at you when you speak to them and the restuarant service is about the worst I have ever experienced. The food arrives cold and very late. The price was very good, so I should have been more prepared to be let down. Our room was right next to the roadway, we heard cars all night long. The bar/restaurant plays music every night and it is loud. The pool was way too cold to enjoy. You cannot swim at the beach at the hotel.

I would pay extra and stay somewhere else if I ever go back to "the friendly isle".

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank MauiJeff
Reviewed 5 January 2008

This hotel is in the middle of a remodel which I'm sure will help with many of the the negative reviews, however, we were still disapointed. We came to Hotel Molokai with our 2 kids (3yrs and 6mnths) with the hope of enjoying the pool and having a relaxing time. When we arrived, we were told our room was not ready, come back after 3:00, however, we were not able to check in until 5:00, not great with 2 kids in need of naps. The pool was too chilly for the kids and the music is very loud in the evening lasting until 10:30. Overall, if you have kids this may not be the place for you. A few good thing were the food and service at the bar/resturauant and the larger kitchen rooms are pretty nice.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank Momof2Seattle
Reviewed 27 November 2007

I booked this hotel through our vacation club (TAN vacations). I have never been more disappointed.

Molokai is a small island with NOTHING to do. So, as our luck would bring, our hotel was the "hot spot" to hang out at on thursday, fri, and saturday nights! It was one of 3-4 bars on the ENTIRE island. So along with that came LOUD NOISE. No matter what room you stay in, you could hear it like it was right outside your door. The reason being is that there is NO AIR CONDITION and the room is ventilated with big screens to let air pass through.

Mosquitos are going to be your night time teddy bear as they bite and fly in and out of your ear waking you up.

My husband and I made friends with a cockroach every night and early morning as it roamed around freely.

The "beach front" is useless as far as swimming. View is beautiful, beach is not good for swimming.

The food at the hotel was average. The best that Molokai can offer being that it is what it is.

If relaxation is what you want out of this trip... STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank efry1983
Reviewed 3 August 2007

I stayed at the Hotel Molokai on a weekend trip with a friend from Oahu and had a good experience. The Hotel Molokai is down home and friendly. I loved the tiki decor and the staff was really nice. The breakfast was great and everyone was very helpful. If you are looking for a huge resort for a lot of $$ then keep looking - i liked the Hotel Molokai for what it was. It's not slick and fancy - it has its own charms and I hope it stays the way it is. Hanging out on the hammocks at night eating Moloka'i hot bread was the best :)

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled with friends
6  Thank sugarkane73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaunakakai
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 3 in Lanai City
MVP - Wavecrest
MVP - Wavecrest
#1 of 3 in Kaunakakai

Been to Hotel Molokai? Share your experiences!