“Awesome trip”

Ranked #1 of 4 Kaunakakai B&B and Inns
Columbus, Ohio
“Awesome trip”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I just spent a week at hotel molokai and it was amazing. The entire staff was so friendly and helpful, the bar was great and their live music on Friday nights is awesome. This island and hotel definitely deserves the title "the friendly island". Our room was clean, the housekeeping was awesome, I have nothing bad to say about this place, if we could have stayed forever I would have been okay with that. The manager of the hotel Michael is great, he knew my name the moment we got there, which says a lot about their hospitality. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Megan R
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Aloha Megan R.,

Thank you for your response. I’m happy to hear that you both had an amazing time during your stay. Your comments are greatly appreciated- especially about the island deserving “the friendly island” title. I enjoyed reading your comments about the staff. I’m glad that they were friendly and helpful. We definitely look forward to welcoming you both back to Hotel Molokai! And possibly stay forever!

mdew@hotelmolokai.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend stayed for 5 nights here last week and had a blast during our stay in molokai. Clent and starlet were awesome and put forth exceptional customer service. We are guest
From travel advantage network and were pleased with the upgraded room that provided A/C. With the thought that we were originally suppose to have a room on the first floor we were surprised to have a room on the second floor which was awesome . The drinks and food is great . I would say the portion sizes for food should be a bit bigger for the prices when comparing to other restaurants but other than that everything was exceptional . Clean room and had cleaner clean the room daily, and the main thing was the service . We will definitely come again and we are currently in maui as I write this !

From Daniel and jasmin , we appreciate everything and hope to see this hotel again soon!

• Stayed June 2014
Aloha Daniel and Jasmine,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Molokai. The restaurant is currently managed by Tante’s. Hotel Molokai no longer manages or operates the restaurant; however, I’m sure they would appreciate your comments so I’ll be sure to pass it on to them. The staff at Hotel Molokai prides themselves on providing exceptional service and I’m glad that we were able to meet your expectations. Enjoy the rest of your travels and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Doha
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed only one night at this hotel. Thankfully. Our first room was ground floor with only a small chain locking the lanai off from the parking lot. As two women, we felt unsafe there. We asked Pau at the front desk to please move us to an upper level. We were shifted to a room backing on to a service road a garbage dump - worse was the bird poop all over the beds, it was clear the room had not been used In a long time. We were upset and asked for another clean room. Pau complained we had already been upgraded,but finally, after a long wait until housekeeping returned, we were shifted to our final room just behind the main office area on the second floor. In the evening, we immediately noticed small cockroaches in the kitchen then on the ceiling. We were upset but fell asleep. However at midnight I was awakened by a loud insect sound and discovered a huge - and I do mean huge, fist sized - cockroach above my bed and head. It skittered away as I searched for raid or something in the room. Unfortunately it skittered across the room to where my friend was sleeping so I grabbed a broom and tried to kill it. It skittered under my bed and then I managed to catch it in the kitchen. It was so big that I had to hit it over and over. It was awful and disgusting - and apparently loud because embarrassingly, the man below us came to check we were ok. We were not. It was disposed of but both of us had a horrible sleep.. Worrying about skittering bugs. Constantly waking up to sounds. We tried to call the front desk to ask for raid but nobody answered the phone the several times we called. There were still cockroaches crawling on the ceiling all night
In the morning upon checkout I mentioned to Pau that we had had a bug problem. She rolled her eyes and asked "how big? Do you have to move rooms again?" This was after I had already handed her the keys - so I could only take it as a last dig at us being complainers about the cleanliness.
We understand that this is an island and islands have bugs. But the prices being charged demand more attention to extermination - we did not pay 20 dollars for a roach infested beach shack. We should not have giant bugs disturb our sleep. Bugs should not fly and land on beds or heads. Its horribly disgusting and frightening. And the desks treatment of our discomfort and concern was simply mocked and brushed off. We cannot recommend this place to our friends. Which is sad... I feel it has great possibility. But it needs to be cleaned, sprayed and taken better care of.
Does the staff here care about our happiness and satisfaction? I would hope it doesn't represent other Aqua hotels.
Finally - the pool and bar are lovely. And the breakfast is nice. I just thought it was too bad with a great bakery just down the road, why weren't we treated to fresh bakery items instead of sweet packaged cakes and muffins. Also - fresh fruit and veg abound on the island but only dole fruit cocktail offered and imported apples. I thought something representing the bounty and beauty of Molokai would have been nicer.

Room Tip: Second floor. Bring raid or bug bomb the place before moving in. (Something I would only expect hav...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank annaoverseas
GMHotelMolokai, Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Aloha annaoverseas,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Molokai. Your comments are important to us and will help us continue to improve the overall guest experience. Thank you for your comments regarding the bakery; as much as we would like to offer our guests fresh pastries from our local bakery, this requires a food license and permit that we are unable to attain. I do apologize for any inconvenience you encountered while staying with us. Our staff prides themselves on providing exceptional service and we regret having fallen short of your expectations, as well as our own. We trust that you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you in the future. Please feel free to contact me if you would care to further discuss your stay. Thank you for your comments.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I want to thank Michael Drew and his excellent staff for my two stays at Hotel Molokai. Mr. Drew takes care of his guests with zeal and enthusiasm. His staff also cares for each guest with the same attitude, kindness, and knowledge. Their love for Molokai shines through in everything they do! The rooms are clean, close to the ocean, and relaxing. I look forward to returning and would recommend this hotel to all who venture to Molokai!!

• Stayed June 2014
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Aloha Gabrielle,

Thanks you so very much for your kind words about you recent two stays at our property. I've shared your comments with the entire staff and we look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Be well

mdrew@hotelmolokai.com
Huntington Beach, California, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and wished we could have extended our stay. We had an ocean front room that was quaint and clean. The view from our room was spectacular. We attended the Monday evening Manager's reception with the manager being very friendly and interactive with the guests. Natalie was our waitress and was a great asset to the bar/ grill setting. We met locals as well as other guests at the bar and enjoyed everyone's interactions and conversation. We will definitely be returning to Hotel Molokai. In fact we have talked about this trip frequently since we have returned home. A beautiful setting and wonderful aloha!!!

Room Tip: Our Ocean front room had a fantastic view!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Aloha Joan Z

Thank you for taking time to post a review about your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and enjoyed the beautiful setting and the wonderful aloha. We looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Hawthorne, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Googling "best hotels on Moloka'i" returns a freaky and erroneous "there are no hotels on Moloka'i". Well, maybe because the Hotel ("Aqua" is covered as of May 2014) Moloka'i is really a motel, not a hotel. But who cares; it's great casual little place.
We made reservations four months early, and happened to ask if they had a senior citizen rate. That triggered a reservation in a quiet, ground floor, beachfront room with the promised air conditioning (which we barely needed). Thanks, Pua! Upon arrival we were greeted and promptly advised of the amenities - and received a follow-up call from Liz to make sure that everything was OK and ask if we had any questions.
Our room (Nihau 135) was quiet, clean, and tidy. We enjoyed the provided Continental Breakfast of pound cake and coffee on our patio, but then spent the rest of our days in other parts of the island, not taking advantage of Happy Hour or the pool.
A couple of Moloka'i notes:
1) Cell service is pretty weak (only one or two bars) once you get away from Kaunakakai, the airport, or Maunaloa (at the west end of the island), so plan on enjoying the silence.
2) Moloka'i seems to have returned to "Friendly Island" status; our last visit was years ago, during troubled times with the Ranch trying to turn the island into Honolulu, and residents were wary of too many visitors. If you haven't been to Moloka'i in a while, it's time to return. As the priest who we met at the roadside church built by St. Damien explained to us, "Damien and the island do call you back".

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Aloha DickB707

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Hotel Molokai. Your positive comments about the staff and your accommodation are greatly appreciated and I've share them with the entire staff. Molokai surely is the "Friendly Isle". We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

mdrew@hotelmolokai.com
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Can't say enough about Hotel Molokai! The location is ideal and the staff is possibly the friendliest I have ever met. Pua was a highlight for us and was helpful every day. All the girls at the front desk were great and made sure we were enjoying our stay. The hotel is right on the water with a pool, bar/restaurant, hammocks and FREE parking. Can't beat it. Each room had a lanai with furniture so it made our stay comfortable and accommodating. I will absolutely stay here again without hesitation! Thank you Hotel Molokai for a memorable trip!

Room Tip: Our room had a spacious lanai with a peak of the ocean. Staff was exceptional!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank michelle g
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Aloha Michelle G,

Thank so much for your kind words about our property and staff. I have shared your comments with the entire staff. Please know that our number asset is our employees and our primary focus is servicing our guests. We are happy to learn that we have accomplished our goal.
We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit.

808.553.5347 ext 3398
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaunakakai
Montage Kapalua Bay
#4 of 4 in Kaunakakai
Four Seasons Resort Lanai
Four Seasons Resort Lanai
#1 of 3 in Lanai City

Been to Hotel Molokai? Share your experiences!