“The only place to stay on Molokai”
Review of Hotel Molokai

Hotel Molokai
Ranked #1 of 4 Kaunakakai B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“The only place to stay on Molokai”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Being this is the only hotel on Molokai one needs to keep this in mind when reviewing. Overall the hotel was fine, quaint 60's style bungalows with updated decor. The interiors have been recently face lifted and the beds are comfortable. Currently they are updating many features of this motel to make it more modern and comfortable. That being said they still have a ways to go. The pool and bar area is nice and well kept. The staff is friendly and helpful they have many items for your use such as beach chairs, towels and coolers. You just have to ask at the front desk. Currently there is no restaurant on premises, seems it burnt down a while back and is in the process of reconstruction. There is a pool side grill that serves meals every other day ie Monday, Wednesday etc. Aqua still lists a restaurant on site but they need to update this to reflect the fact its not there. Also one needs to know that these units are not air conditioned. We stayed two nights and it was pleasant. Molokai if you have not seen it is worth the trip especially if you are already in Maui. Its just a ferry ride away. Also when you reserve a car with Alamo on Molokai, they have pick up at the ferry.

Room Tip: Choose rooms away from the highway if noise is a factor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loveit45
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Aloha Loveit45,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Molokai. I’m glad to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful- I’ll be sure to share your kind comments with them. We look forward to your return and we will ensure that you have another excellent stay with us.

mdew@hotelmolokai.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Union, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights at Hotel Molokai in mid June. I am struggling to write this review in that I realize it is the only hotel on Molokai, and secondly there were things we both enjoyed and did not about the hotel. We booked our room by calling the hotel a week ahead of time and reserving a full bed. Once we arrived to the hotel and checked in, the room in which we were placed had 2 twin sized beds. We went to the front to inquire why, we were told they had given us a kitchenette to make up for the twin beds. Back in our room we received a call about 10 minutes later offering to move us to a full bed handicap accessible room. After seeing that room had a shower completely open to the rest of the bathroom we decided to stay with the twins, we were able to push the beds together and it ended up being fairly comfortable. I commend the staff on being extremely friendly and professional during our entire stay and for doing everything that seemed to be in their power to correct the situation. The room was clean except for the ants crawling around the kitchenette and bathroom. We also found 2 small lizards in the room one night, no Idea how they got in the screens on the windows appeared intact. The was no air conditioner in the hotel room which was very hot in the day time. At night with the windows open and wall mounted fan on the room was comfortable. We had no problems with outside noise while sleeping though the fan was fairly loud. A small patio with a table and 2 chairs was in front of the room and we sat here a couple times to have a snack when it was too hot to be inside the room. Our view was of the other 2 story A-frame buildings.

The pool was clean and we enjoyed the covered bar and happy hour specials, the mixed frozen drinks were delicious. Parts of the bar area appeared mismatched and unfinished not sure if that had to with the ongoing construction at the restaurant. Disappointing that the restaurant was closed for renovation, especially considering there are only about 5 restaurants on the entire island (no exaggeration). The hotel is on the water though there is no actual beach. The water comes right up to the edge of the property at most times of the day.

We also enjoyed the central location. 10 minutes from downtown, 30 minutes to the airport, 1 hour from the beaches on the east coast and about 45 minutes from Halawa Valley.

The complimentary breakfast was fruit, water, coffee, muffins, and tropical juice which we highly recomend. Beach chairs, towels, snorkel gear, and cooler are available to borrow free of charge.

The overall experience was enjoyable however a few things could have been done to make it even more so. Also for the price paid we expected a little more quality. If we returned to Molokai we would stay here again, however a guaranteed full bed and air conditioning would be a must.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nate w
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Aloha nate w.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Molokai. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. Unfortunately, the restaurant is currently under construction and looking to reopen in December 2014. The bar and restaurant is currently being managed by Tante’s, also known as TNT Inc. Hotel Molokai no longer manages or operates the restaurant; however, I’m sure they would appreciate your comments so I’ll be sure to pass it on to them. I enjoyed reading your comments about our friendly and professional staff. Here at Hotel Molokai, we make certain that our guests receive nothing less than exceptional customer service. I’m glad that your overall experience was enjoyable and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Molokai.

808.553.5347 ex. 3398
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying for one night at the Hotel Molokai to visit friends of ours who are residents of the Friendly Isle. I grew up in Honolulu but had never visited Molokai before. This was also our first night without our kids since the birth of our second daughter eight years ago. We opted for an oceanfront room on the second floor of the hotel. The room was on the east side of the hotel. Note this 4-dot rating is "adjusted for expectations". I've rated other hotels of higher quality at the same level or lower, but you really need to take this rating in context.

WHY YOU MIGHT LIKE THE HOTEL MOLOKAI
1. It's part of the Molokai experience. If you have chosen to visit Molokai and have done your research, you already know the island is very different than any of the other islands. It is extremely rustic, with limited amenities, including restaurants. The hotel has exactly that same feel, not at all like the sumptious luxury you may find on any other Hawaiian island you will visit.
2. The bar. The bar is extremely laid back. On the night we stayed there, the electricity went out (this is not an unusual experience from what I was told). Despite the lack of power, there was a great vibe at the bar, with active interaction between locals and visitors and visitors of differing ages and backgrounds. I very rarely see this in Hawaii in any bar. The beer was cold and the conversation was warm and engaging. I loved it.
3. The views. Look south and you can see Lanai. The oceanfront room is truly that. You are no more than 50 feet from the water. In the winter, the south shore is extremely calm and you can sit there and relax. Look up to the sky and you can see stars you would never see (granted on the night we were there, we had no electricity so the stars looked even brighter).
4. Peaceful sleep. Reading some of the other reviews, this might not be uniform throughout the hotel. There is a wing of rooms on the east side of the hotel that are set back considerably further from Kamehameha V Highway. We slept with the windows open and it was so quiet!

WHY YOU MAY NOT LIKE THE HOTEL MOLOKAI
A. You are used to the creature comforts of the other islands. This is a far cry from Princeville, Waikoloa, Manele Bay, etc. There's no air conditioning and the whole hotel looks like it was extracted from a 70s Hawaiian movie set.
B. Need to drive. I was surprised to see people staying there without a car. There is an ancient fishpond nearby, but aside from this, there is not much to interest a visitor within walking distance. If you want to see anything you need a car, and if you can drive anywhere, you can drive on Molokai. There are no highways and you really can't get lost.
C. You like air conditioning. There is none! In December it was extremely comfortable but I can imagine nights could be uncomfortable if the winds are blowing the wrong way.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Hotel Molokai and Molokai overall. I will try to write a few more reviews of this special place in the coming months. Mahalo Hotel Molokai!

Room Tip: Worth splurging for ocean front if you can afford it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gocats89
Aloha gocats89,

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback about Hotel Molokai. Though Molokai is limited, at Hotel Molokai, we make every effort on providing exceptional customer service to ensure our guests receive a memorable experience. I’m glad you enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of the bar. It’s currently being managed by Tante’s or TNT Inc. Although Hotel Molokai no longer manages and operates the restaurant; I’m sure they would appreciate your comments so I’ll be sure to share it with them. I look forward to reading your reviews of Hotel Molokai and welcoming you back soon!

808.553.5347 ex. 3398
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I just spent a week at hotel molokai and it was amazing. The entire staff was so friendly and helpful, the bar was great and their live music on Friday nights is awesome. This island and hotel definitely deserves the title "the friendly island". Our room was clean, the housekeeping was awesome, I have nothing bad to say about this place, if we could have stayed forever I would have been okay with that. The manager of the hotel Michael is great, he knew my name the moment we got there, which says a lot about their hospitality. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Megan R
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Aloha Megan R.,

Thank you for your response. I’m happy to hear that you both had an amazing time during your stay. Your comments are greatly appreciated- especially about the island deserving “the friendly island” title. I enjoyed reading your comments about the staff. I’m glad that they were friendly and helpful. We definitely look forward to welcoming you both back to Hotel Molokai! And possibly stay forever!

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend stayed for 5 nights here last week and had a blast during our stay in molokai. Clent and starlet were awesome and put forth exceptional customer service. We are guest
From travel advantage network and were pleased with the upgraded room that provided A/C. With the thought that we were originally suppose to have a room on the first floor we were surprised to have a room on the second floor which was awesome . The drinks and food is great . I would say the portion sizes for food should be a bit bigger for the prices when comparing to other restaurants but other than that everything was exceptional . Clean room and had cleaner clean the room daily, and the main thing was the service . We will definitely come again and we are currently in maui as I write this !

From Daniel and jasmin , we appreciate everything and hope to see this hotel again soon!

• Stayed June 2014
Aloha Daniel and Jasmine,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Molokai. The restaurant is currently managed by Tante’s. Hotel Molokai no longer manages or operates the restaurant; however, I’m sure they would appreciate your comments so I’ll be sure to pass it on to them. The staff at Hotel Molokai prides themselves on providing exceptional service and I’m glad that we were able to meet your expectations. Enjoy the rest of your travels and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Doha
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed only one night at this hotel. Thankfully. Our first room was ground floor with only a small chain locking the lanai off from the parking lot. As two women, we felt unsafe there. We asked Pau at the front desk to please move us to an upper level. We were shifted to a room backing on to a service road a garbage dump - worse was the bird poop all over the beds, it was clear the room had not been used In a long time. We were upset and asked for another clean room. Pau complained we had already been upgraded,but finally, after a long wait until housekeeping returned, we were shifted to our final room just behind the main office area on the second floor. In the evening, we immediately noticed small cockroaches in the kitchen then on the ceiling. We were upset but fell asleep. However at midnight I was awakened by a loud insect sound and discovered a huge - and I do mean huge, fist sized - cockroach above my bed and head. It skittered away as I searched for raid or something in the room. Unfortunately it skittered across the room to where my friend was sleeping so I grabbed a broom and tried to kill it. It skittered under my bed and then I managed to catch it in the kitchen. It was so big that I had to hit it over and over. It was awful and disgusting - and apparently loud because embarrassingly, the man below us came to check we were ok. We were not. It was disposed of but both of us had a horrible sleep.. Worrying about skittering bugs. Constantly waking up to sounds. We tried to call the front desk to ask for raid but nobody answered the phone the several times we called. There were still cockroaches crawling on the ceiling all night
In the morning upon checkout I mentioned to Pau that we had had a bug problem. She rolled her eyes and asked "how big? Do you have to move rooms again?" This was after I had already handed her the keys - so I could only take it as a last dig at us being complainers about the cleanliness.
We understand that this is an island and islands have bugs. But the prices being charged demand more attention to extermination - we did not pay 20 dollars for a roach infested beach shack. We should not have giant bugs disturb our sleep. Bugs should not fly and land on beds or heads. Its horribly disgusting and frightening. And the desks treatment of our discomfort and concern was simply mocked and brushed off. We cannot recommend this place to our friends. Which is sad... I feel it has great possibility. But it needs to be cleaned, sprayed and taken better care of.
Does the staff here care about our happiness and satisfaction? I would hope it doesn't represent other Aqua hotels.
Finally - the pool and bar are lovely. And the breakfast is nice. I just thought it was too bad with a great bakery just down the road, why weren't we treated to fresh bakery items instead of sweet packaged cakes and muffins. Also - fresh fruit and veg abound on the island but only dole fruit cocktail offered and imported apples. I thought something representing the bounty and beauty of Molokai would have been nicer.

Room Tip: Second floor. Bring raid or bug bomb the place before moving in. (Something I would only expect hav...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank annaoverseas
GMHotelMolokai, Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Aloha annaoverseas,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at Hotel Molokai. Your comments are important to us and will help us continue to improve the overall guest experience. Thank you for your comments regarding the bakery; as much as we would like to offer our guests fresh pastries from our local bakery, this requires a food license and permit that we are unable to attain. I do apologize for any inconvenience you encountered while staying with us. Our staff prides themselves on providing exceptional service and we regret having fallen short of your expectations, as well as our own. We trust that you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you in the future. Please feel free to contact me if you would care to further discuss your stay. Thank you for your comments.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I want to thank Michael Drew and his excellent staff for my two stays at Hotel Molokai. Mr. Drew takes care of his guests with zeal and enthusiasm. His staff also cares for each guest with the same attitude, kindness, and knowledge. Their love for Molokai shines through in everything they do! The rooms are clean, close to the ocean, and relaxing. I look forward to returning and would recommend this hotel to all who venture to Molokai!!

• Stayed June 2014
GMHotelMolokai, General Manager at Hotel Molokai, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Aloha Gabrielle,

Thanks you so very much for your kind words about you recent two stays at our property. I've shared your comments with the entire staff and we look forward to welcome you back in the very near future.

Be well

mdrew@hotelmolokai.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kaunakakai
Montage Kapalua Bay
#3 of 3 in Kaunakakai
Four Seasons Resort Lanai
Four Seasons Resort Lanai
#1 of 3 in Lanai City

Been to Hotel Molokai? Share your experiences!