Hotel Molokai
Official Website
US$581
US$333
  • Beachfront
Aston at Papakea Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
US$394
US$319
US$1,093
US$1,053
Napili Point Resort(Lahaina)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewslaid backsecond flooropen airocean frontfriday nightthe general manageroceanfront roomother islandshotel restaurantlocated rightceiling fanrental carfriendly islandold styleking bedlive musicthe hotel manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 February 2009

After reading the reviews here, I was nervous about staying at Hotel Molokai but inasmuch as its the sole hotel on the island, I figured that I'd just have to make it work. For the most part, it did work, to my relief! I paid for a unit with kitchen to try to get a room with A/C (guessing that they improved their higher priced rooms first), and that worked. The room was in decent repair and on the 2nd floor. There was a problem, that a prior reviewer had mentioned, of (humongous!) bees hovering around the ceiling of the balcony, but only at dusk in my case. I made an extra effort to be nice, and I think it paid off. Staff started nice or neutral and got nicer and nicer, I think as they decided I was okay. Indeed, I was called a "good" guest (thank heavens). Anyway, everyone was really quite helpful as I persisted in being as nice as I could. I felt the deal was they were going out of the way for me if i made myself someone that they wanted to do it for. That is not the usual deal, I grant you, but i wanted to enjoy my 4 days here, which I did.

The resort is attractive, though its pool is small and closes early, as others have noted and as is disclosed on their website. I did not see a single person step foot on the measly "beach" even once, though the view of the water beyond the beach is fine. I felt their restaurant had the best food on the island without competition.

Molokai is a charming island with a laid back style, and the people are actually pretty competent though at an island pace. They are certainly anti-development, but not at all anti-tourist in my opinion. Indeed, I felt they went to some pains to try to make that distinction all throughout the island.

All in all, I found the hotel fully acceptable with one exception. I understand the dual role the hotel serves for both locals and tourists. However, the volume of the music that is allowed was seemingly more than doubled on Friday night, to a very unacceptable level. I think the hotel should either limit the Friday volume as it seems to on other nights, or alternatively soundproof the rooms better, because even in my bed it was like being in the front rows at a concert that one night. The music and its volume was perfectly fine on the prior 3 nights of my stay.

Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NJ-Eric
Reviewed 2 February 2009

Hotel Molokai is infested with mice! Glue traps were all over the room, and we even saw the rodents dash across the floor. Door was misaligned and glass was broken giving easy access for mice. You can't leave food out, or it will be chewed on. There were also carpenter bee nests all over the deck (however management did provide us with Raid). The was an open sewer pipe just outside the door. Rug was filthy and torn. Management didn't care since there's was no other place to stay. Bar was OK for drinking but I would eat at the outdoor restaurant cuz we saw mice crawling around there too. I love Hawaii, but I'll never go back to Molokai. Locals don't want tourists and you will see yard signs saying so. See my pics.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled with family
8  Thank I_Dot_The_I
Reviewed 20 January 2009

My boyfriend and I decided to go back to visit a childhood vacation spot of mine for our first real vacation away together. I had been there 12 years previously and had still not got the beautiful island out of my head.
When my family and I were there, the Sheraton hotel as well as the Molokai Ranch were still open. The Hotel was right by Papuhaku, the most beautiful beach that you had ever stayed at, so I was hoping to get us back there, however since it had now shutdown, I started to look for somewhere else.
The only other place really was Hotel Molokai. I booked us in to a beach view suite for 2.5 weeks, for a not so cheap price I might add, since we are not TAN members. When we got their, our room was beautiful and we were in lala land. However it soon came crashing down. It was unbelievably loud every night. Now I understand partying....but EVERY night, and most of the people at the hotel don't care, as it really is just meant to be a local watering hole, and they make money off of rooms because they know that they can't stay anywhere else.
We decided to put up with it since we were meeting some absolutely AMAZING people! By the end of week one though, things had gone from bad to worse. One of the couples that we had met previously had had their car egged, with caution tape and barricades put around it. This was in the Hotel Parking lot. We had also had two consecutive nights of prank calls to our hotel phone. They always came from the switchboard, but no one was ever there, and the hotel manager leaves at 9pm. My boyfriend commented on this the next morning, and the manager flat out called us liars. We then had two nights after that of our fire alarm going off throughout the night. He tried to call us a liar, but when the cleaning staff noticed it as well, he admitted that there was a problem, but never even apologized to us! He comped us one room, after many arguments, most of which he would just walk away from! He was a disgrace to Hotel Management.
We ended up getting some advice from a couple there and stayed at some condos that are for rent there, and they were right on my Papuhaku beach...perfect, reasonable rates, and HUGE, thanks to Chad who owns them and bailed us out without even a thought:
[--]
The people here on this island are beautiful and have the biggest hearts, it was such a shame to have this hotel try to be the complete opposite.
Of course will be back to Molokai, but never EVER to this hotel again!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank MolokaiLover
Reviewed 8 January 2009

This is our 2nd visit to Hotel Molokai. We were there in March of 2006. We are members of the Travel Advantage Network (TAN) who owns the hotel. We had hoped that things had improved since the renovations they had done but it is as loud as before. We wish we had not wasted another week visiting.

The main problem is the noise. We talked to some people who said their units were not noisy, but our unit 208, night or day sounded like we had people or music amplified into it. Although the music does end at 10:00 PM (an improvement over 2006) there is no enforcement of quiet time. People hang out at the bar after it closes and continue to talk or yell. The worst night was Friday. The people in the unit behind us sat on their lanai listening to the band and drinking. They were yelling and singing along to the songs as if they were in the bar. They kept us up until 2:00 AM. We knew there was no point in calling management from what we observed.

We were also treated very rudely by the receptionist in the restaurant. We called from the mainland to secure our reservation in the restaurant on Christmas day. When we got there, no one had bother to write it down and the receptionist was not nice about trying to find us seating . She gave the locals all the best tables and placed the hotel guests at the worst tables.

TAN has upgraded the rooms nicely. The beds are very nice and the appliances are modernized. The addition of a large entertainment cabinet in front of the lanai, however, was unsightly. Also, painting the natural Hawaiian wood beige took away from the Polynesian charm of the units.

The ladies at the front desk Carolyn and Jackie are wonderful. They were the highlight of our stay as well as the excellent cleaning staff. You get the impression that some employees never expect you to come back again so they don't care about making the customer happy. We made a mistake coming back and expecting better.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank TravelHomemaker
Reviewed 29 December 2008

You're either going to love Molokai or you're going to hate Molokai. If you looking for an active night life, shopping, swim up bars with large slides and the surf crowd from Honolulu, you're not even close. Molokai has no buildings taller than two stories. There are no traffic lights on the entire island. Coming to Molokai is like visiting Hawaii 75 years ago. I come to Molokai every year and I must admit, the first 24-hours I think I am going to lose my mind with nothing to do. Then the reality sets in... "ahhhh... there is nothing that I have to do." No cell phone, no lap top, no office meetings, no traffic, no noise, nothing but the beautiful mountains, the sound of the waves and endless hours to do nothing but explore the island. The Hotel Molokai is the same. It is not your fancy resort that you're going to find on Maui or in Honolulu. It's laid back and has such a charm to it, that it may take a day or two for you to realize how special it is. The food is great. The staff are always fantastic. The entertainment is far above any of the commercial luau's on the other islands. Remember this is Molokai. Life moves at a much slower pace and if you don't move equally as slow, you'll hate your time here. If you looking to get away from people, the noice, the city life and simply let the world pass you by, you're going to love Molokai as well as the Hotel Molokai.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple